• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Moot and the Assassination

A couple of you have advanced the idea that the Imperial Moot was somehow involved in the events leading to the assassination of Strephon. Personally, I like this idea a lot and am trying to incorporate it into a pre-Rebellion campaign. But one question continues to elude me.

Why would the Moot want Strephon out of power? So far I haven't seen anything that marks Emperor Strephon as grossly incompetent. From what I've gathered over the years, Strephon's biggest sin was being mediocre.

I have a vague idea that because Strephon was the latest in a string of mediocre Emperors. Because of this, the Third Imperium had grown stagnant and younger, more vital states (like the Zhodani and Solomani) began to become real threats. In light of this, perhaps a reactionary faction of the Moot develops the notion that a change in leadership to someone with "vision" would shake the Imperium out of its rut.

Sadly, I've run into a block on how the details would shake out. Thus, I turn to you all for more discussion and debate.

A couple of you have advanced the idea that the Imperial Moot was somehow involved in the events leading to the assassination of Strephon. Personally, I like this idea a lot and am trying to incorporate it into a pre-Rebellion campaign. But one question continues to elude me.

Why would the Moot want Strephon out of power? So far I haven't seen anything that marks Emperor Strephon as grossly incompetent. From what I've gathered over the years, Strephon's biggest sin was being mediocre.

I have a vague idea that because Strephon was the latest in a string of mediocre Emperors. Because of this, the Third Imperium had grown stagnant and younger, more vital states (like the Zhodani and Solomani) began to become real threats. In light of this, perhaps a reactionary faction of the Moot develops the notion that a change in leadership to someone with "vision" would shake the Imperium out of its rut.

Sadly, I've run into a block on how the details would shake out. Thus, I turn to you all for more discussion and debate.

The Moot, like any Parliament is also backed by different social forces. It is possible that a Party of War would have united with Industrialists to see that the stagnation in the Imperial economy could be remedied by War. Similarly, as many Moot Nobles could come from quite democratic traditions, eg. being elected would want to force a change of government to make it more responsive to the people.

Nobles conspiring to oust a sitting Emperor would not want to act in the open but would be instrumental in setting the situation in which a would be assassin feels that there is no other choice. The secret would be to find a willing victim and play upon his/her sense of purpose and that of a larger destiny.

The Moot, like any Parliament is also backed by different social forces. It is possible that a Party of War would have united with Industrialists to see that the stagnation in the Imperial economy could be remedied by War. Similarly, as many Moot Nobles could come from quite democratic traditions, eg. being elected would want to force a change of government to make it more responsive to the people.

Nobles conspiring to oust a sitting Emperor would not want to act in the open but would be instrumental in setting the situation in which a would be assassin feels that there is no other choice. The secret would be to find a willing victim and play upon his/her sense of purpose and that of a larger destiny.

Well, I can easily imagine that most, if not all, of the Sector Dukes were not happy that the Archdukes had been reempowered.

Down in Sol Domain, the Archduke of Sol arbitrarily replaced the Sector Duke of the Solomani Rim with himself.

Given that the Solomani Rim is, in canon, the wealthiest of all sectors, that was bound to have repercussions.

Well, I can easily imagine that most, if not all, of the Sector Dukes were not happy that the Archdukes had been reempowered.

Down in Sol Domain, the Archduke of Sol arbitrarily replaced the Sector Duke of the Solomani Rim with himself.

Given that the Solomani Rim is, in canon, the wealthiest of all sectors, that was bound to have repercussions.

Forgive me if this is a painfully elementary question. Does that mean that Strephon created the Archduke Domains? And if so, how politically powerful were the Archdukes in comparison to the Moot as a whole?

Forgive me if this is a painfully elementary question. Does that mean that Strephon created the Archduke Domains? And if so, how politically powerful were the Archdukes in comparison to the Moot as a whole?

He didn't so much create them as reinvigorated them. If I recall correctly, domains had existed for centuries but hadn't had any real adminstrative purpose and the role of Archduke hadn't any power since the last civil war. Strephon, seeing that the Imperium was in trouble, thought that reviving the powers of the Archdukes and giving them a free hand for reforms was a viable solution.

Problem being that power is often seen as a zero sum game. Each extra bit of power the Archdukes got was power nobles lower down on the food chain lost. Thus the theory on the boards that many of the nobles, from sector duke on down, may have at least passively aided Dulinor's attempt on Strephon's life.

[Kind of makes me wonder where Duke Craig would have sat. Clearly an important sector duke, but did he resent Dulinor's elevation? Did the Civil War allow business as usual to Daibei nobles in some ways?]

He didn't so much create them as reinvigorated them. If I recall correctly, domains had existed for centuries but hadn't had any real adminstrative purpose and the role of Archduke hadn't any power since the last civil war. Strephon, seeing that the Imperium was in trouble, thought that reviving the powers of the Archdukes and giving them a free hand for reforms was a viable solution.

Problem being that power is often seen as a zero sum game. Each extra bit of power the Archdukes got was power nobles lower down on the food chain lost. Thus the theory on the boards that many of the nobles, from sector duke on down, may have at least passively aided Dulinor's attempt on Strephon's life.

[Kind of makes me wonder where Duke Craig would have sat. Clearly an important sector duke, but did he resent Dulinor's elevation? Did the Civil War allow business as usual to Daibei nobles in some ways?]

That makes sense. By giving Archdukes the authority to enact reforms in their own domain, the Emperor takes authority away from the Secotr Dukes who would normally have some sort of oversight with the Emperor himself. Yep, I can see how that could alienate factions of the Moot.

That makes sense. By giving Archdukes the authority to enact reforms in their own domain, the Emperor takes authority away from the Secotr Dukes who would normally have some sort of oversight with the Emperor himself. Yep, I can see how that could alienate factions of the Moot.

What's more, the Archdukes also were placed back into the naval chain of command, giving them the power over the navies.

I'm certain the admirality (mostly dukes, if you believe CG) REALLY did not like this. One more level of non-naval dunderhead butting into the navy's affairs.

What's more, the Archdukes also were placed back into the naval chain of command, giving them the power over the navies.

I'm certain the admirality (mostly dukes, if you believe CG) REALLY did not like this. One more level of non-naval dunderhead butting into the navy's affairs.

Back