• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Rim War 1st and 17th Fleets

Garnfellow

SOC-13
Peer of the Realm
Classic Traveller Alien Module 6 - Solomani said:
In response to [Imperial success], the Confederation embarked on a desperate gamble, consolidating its remaining forces into a single Grand Fleet under their ablest admiral, Ivan Wolfe.

Wolf analyzed the nature of the dual lmperial advance. The Imperial 17th Fleet was advancing along the line Lagash-Nusku-Agidda, towards Terra; the 1st Fleet was striking from Vega toward Dingir and its industrial and political strength. . . . Wolfe caught the advanced guard of the 17th Fleet at Agidda and inflicted a major defeat. He then shifted his forces to Dingir, hoping that he could also defeat the 1st Fleet. The fatal miscalculation was in figuring reorganization time: the 17th Fleet was able to rally its ships in a matter of weeks and effect a pursuit of Wolf's Grand Fleet. In the Battle of Dingir (early 1002), Wolfe was caught by surprise as lmperial reinforcements turned the tide against him (11).

I have often wondered what the Battle of Dingir looked like -- what kind of forces were involved? But to answer this, we have to answer another question: in the context of the Rim War, just what were the 1st and 17th fleets?

The Imperial Navy, as is well known, maintains numbered subsector fleets. The MegaTraveller Rebellion Sourcebook's map of "Fleets of the Imperium" shows that, circa 1116, the 17th Subsector Fleet is stationed at Ikhnaton, subsector A of Ley, while the 1st, naturally enough, defends Core subsector of Core sector.

But it doesn't seem likely to me that the 1st and 17th fleets that fought at Dingir were these subsector fleets.

Although sources are inconsistent in their description of the Imperial navy -- leading to lots of heated debate among fans -- the most most recent canonical source is Mongoose Traveller: Sector Fleet, which contends that the Imperial Navy's numbered subsector fleets are different in composition and mission from the named sector fleets. The Sector Fleets "are responsible for large-scale military action, most importantly warfighting," while the Subsector Fleets "are responsible for defending their subsector and maintaining its security" (38).

So by mission, it seems unlikely that subsector fleets would be the vanguard of the Imperial invasion. And even assuming that by 1002 the Confederation navy was battered and depleted, by consolidating the assets, the Solomani Grand Fleet sounds like the equivalent of a full sector fleet (16 subsectors). Such a force seems like more than a match for two Imperial subsector fleets, even if we assume the 1st and 17th were "extra strength," relatively fresh, and at a higher TL.

But if the 1st and the 17th weren't subsector fleets, what were they?

Sector Fleet explains that "In the Imperial Navy, the term 'Fleet' has three specific but very different meanings. The term can refer to a 'Numbered Fleet', which is a grouping of several squadrons, to a 'Named Fleet', which is an assembly of two or more Numbered Fleets. It can also refer to a force created for a specific task, e.g. a Battle Fleet sent across the border to attack an enemy [emphasis added]" (38).

A little later on, Sector Fleet explains that "In the event of a major war, other Sector Fleets away from the immediate battle area will be ordered to provide a number of ships and squadrons to serve in one or more Special Fleets or to reinforce the Sector Fleets of the embattled region. Most commonly this means that up to half the sector’s heavy cruiser and capital ship strength may be drawn off to create one or more Battle Fleets to take the war to the enemy. The usual model for such a conflict is that the Sector Fleets defend their territory and resist the enemy advance, perhaps counterattacking if there is an opportunity, and then battle fleets are moved up from elsewhere to take the offensive" (41-42).

So in this context, the 1st and 17th were probably Battle Fleets especially assembled from elements of the Sector Fleets of the coreward Imperial sectors. Their specific mission was the invasion of the Solomani Rim. After the Armistice they were likely disbanded and the constituent assets returned.

Last edited:
The implications of this are huge. Let's say the Solomani Grand Fleet was a double strength sector fleet, and the 1st and 17th Imperial Battle Fleets were each the equivalent of a sector fleet . The Battle of Dingir would have been, basically, four sector fleets duking it out in a single system!

Doubtful, if my math is correct and a subsector flleet consist's of 1000 combat vessels, then a Sector fleet would be 16,000 ships. If the Solomani could amass 4 Sector fleets in the grand fleet (64,000 vessels) why just bloody the nose of the 17th fleet when you have such overwhelming superiority?

Now, it the 1st and 17th fleets were subsetor fleets with 1000 ships each, and Wolfe was able to assemble a scratch force of 500-750 ships from scattered sources, which imperial intelligence did not know about, strike the 17th fleet a surprise blow and then move against the 1st fleet at Dingir, that I would believe.

Say fresh forces, not tested in battle going against a scattered and demoralized enemy. Cocky, sure of themselves. Surprised? A re-fighting of the battle of the bulge!

Doubtful, if my math is correct and a subsector flleet consist's of 1000 combat vessels, then a Sector fleet would be 16,000 ships.
Understanding that canonical sources vary a lot, I think your math is way off. How'd you get there? Everything I've seen says a Sector Fleet consists of 1,000 combat vessels.

You have to remember, that the War of Imperium Aggression has been going on for a while, and this was a sort of last gasp desperate gambit, more Kursk than Bulge.

As I see it, the Solomani Naval staff calculated that if they just kept defending every foot of territory as their political masters wanted them too, sheer attrition would grind them down, as they used up their strategic reserves early on, and new production couldn't keep up with their losses.

Wolfe miscalculated and lost, but decided to keep the fleet in being, sacrificing Terra, as he had an additional card to play.

While the Imperium eventually captured Terra, they lost incredible amounts of men and ships doing so, to the locally garrisoned forces, while Wolfe took the time to reorganize the remaining ships of the Solomani Rim, and ordered the frontier fleets that were keeping an eye on the Hivers and Aslan to redeploy to the Solomani Rim. Much like Stalin redeployed the Siberian divisions keeping an eye on the Japanese, to Moscow.

Whether Wolfe could have pulled out a miracle from his hat is very debatable, but the Imperium decided not to risk it after the pounding they took at Terra, and agreed to ceasefire.

Regardless of the size of a Sector Fleet – whether we think it is is 500, 1,000, or 16,000 ships -- if we think of a full Sector Fleet as a standard unit of measurement we can then assess the relative strengths of the Imperial and Confederate fleets.

Fighting Ships of the Solomani Confederation helpfully details the ten fleets fielded by the Confederation at the start of the Rim War. Some of these are understrength: for example, the rimward sectors do not face hostile polities and therefore can be smaller and focused on piracy and internal conflicts. Some are understrength simply because the Confederation controls only part of a sector. The following table is my swag at estimating the strength of the Confederation navy:

Sector FleetEquivalent
Daibei0.5
Diaspora0.5
Old Expanses0.5
Dark Nebula0.5
Magyar1
Solomani Rim2
Alpha Crucis1
Canopus0.5
Aldebaran0.5
Neworld0.5
“Equivalent” is the size of each fleet in comparison to a standard Sector Fleet. All told, the Confederation has about the equivalent of 7.5 sector fleets in naval assets.

So how about the Imperium? As Sector Fleet noted, “up to half the sector’s heavy cruiser and capital ship strength may be drawn off to create one or more Battle Fleets to take the war to the enemy” (48). The following table is a swag at the Imperial sectors and the assets they could make available to form Battle Fleets for the Rim War. I assumed the three border sectors – Daibei, Diaspora, and Old Expanses would not be able to contribute, as they would be focused on defense; I also assumed more distant sectors would not contribute.

Sector FleetEquivalentAvailable
Daibei0.50
Diaspora0.50
Old Expanses0.50
Verge0.310.155
Ililesh0.750.375
Zarushagar10.5
Massilla10.5
Delphi0.50.25
Gushemege10.5
Dagudashaag10.5
Core21
Fornast10.5
Ley10.5
This suggests that the Imperium could call up battle fleets equivalent to a little more than 4 sector fleets.

Let’s assume that the TL advantage enjoyed by the Imperium is roughly balanced out by the advantage of the Solomanis only needing to play defense. So 1 Imperial sector fleet equivalent =1 Solomani sector fleet equivalent. So the Confederation has a 7.5 to 4 advantage on paper.

However, many of these Solomani assets cannot be brought to bear. The three border fleets – Daibei, Diaspora, and Old Expanses – can’t be moved as they are the front line. The spinward fleets – Dark Nebula and Magyar – can’t be moved either, for fear of the Aslan attacking. The Confederation could strip the rimward and coreward areas, and probably did, but those are weaker assets to begin with.

So although the Confederation has a larger number of assets than the Imperium, many aren't manuuverable, making the odds a little more even. This really explains the outcome of the Rim War pretty well: the Imperium could access enough battle fleets to credibly invade the Solomani Sphere, but not necessarily enough to take the whole thing quickly. If the Imperials had not wasted assets invading Terra, they very well could have crushed the Confederation forever.

Last edited:
So although the Confederation has a larger number of assets than the Imperium, many aren't manuuverable, making the odds a little more even. This really explains the outcome of the Rim War pretty well: the Imperium could access enough battle fleets to credibly invade the Solomani Sphere, but not necessarily enough to take the whole thing quickly. If the Imperials had not wasted assets invading Terra, they very well could have crushed the Confederation forever.

Don't mess with Stalingrad, or Terragrad, capture the sinews of war with shipyards and economy, isolate and ignore the political target and you can invade it at the end.

Whole thing could read as an Alamo allegory, except for the lack of a San Jacinto or Campeche Bay, or the Sols merging with another empire.

It's hard to say exactly what went on.

Going by Fighting Ships of the Solomani, the new Prometheus dreadnoughts couldn't be manufactured fast enough, and were wasted in the opening campaign. There went the Strategic Reserves.

Then the strikecraft of the massive fighter armadas they accumulated were outmatched by their Imperium counterparts.

The Solomani didn't appear to have a pool of trained reserves.

A sector fleet has sixteen battle squadron equivalents, and whatever yardstick the Solomani had, they didn't match that, and it seems implied, they didn't have a mothball fleet either.

I do think they used their deep strike ships and older disposable assets to commence an extensive campaign of raiding into the enemy's rear, forcing the Imperium to maintain a large number of assets tied up in security and trade protection.

If half an Imperial Sector Fleet can be used to develop "one or more" Battle Fleets, and the Imperium has 4 sector fleet equivalents to form Batte Fleets, then the Imperium might have had anywhere from 8-16 different Battle Fleets for the invasion of the Solomani Sphere. (Or possibly a little more, given the "17th Fleet." Would the Battle Fleets be numbered sequentially, or follow some historical patter?)

These battle fleets would have been divided by mission into Assault Fleets, "true" Battle Fleets (the really heavy capital ships), Penetration Fleets, Reinforcement Fleets, and Strike Fleets.

I would guess that the 1st and 17th were Strike Fleets, "specialized Battle Fleets optimized for maneuverability and firepower. They can range ahead of the main battle fleet, clearing light opposition and attacking targets of opportunity, or make fast strikes against a specific objective." On further reflection, I think they were not full sector fleets in size and strength -- but still bigger and carrying more firepower than a subsector fleet.

Last edited:
1_Solomani_Rim_War.jpg

As far as I know, this map from the MegaTraveller Imperial Enclopedia is the only information we have of different theaters of the Solomani Rim War. It suggests battles in Confederation territory well behind the eventual armistice line.

My guess is the initial Imperial counter attack was in Old Expanses, where the Solomani invasion bogged down. As more battle fleets were brought to bear, the Imperium opened up an important second front in Diaspora. The war ground on until the Confederation was driven back to Alpha Crucis and the Rim; at that point the Imperium really began to have an upper hand.

Interestingly, while no battles are shown in Daibei we see extensive fighting throughout Magyar, where battles ranged far more rimward and spinward than in any other sector. My guess is the Confederation massed defensive fleets in Daibei expecting a third front to be opened up there. Instead the Imperium attacked Magyar through the Rim, focusing on the high population worlds of Beta Quadrant; in response the Confederation moved the Daibei fleets into Magyar for a counterattack, rather than commit the main part of the Magyar fleets (who were being held in reserve in case of an Aslan attack).

So by 1002 the Imperium had captured the Vegan District, which marked the start of the end stage of the war. At this point the Imperials had probably captured almost all of Daibei, Diaspora, and Old Expanse, a subsector or two in Magyar and Alpha Crucis, and half of the Solomani Rim.

The Confederation resources for the Grand Fleet would have been limited at this point:

Sector FleetEquivalent
Dark Nebula0.5
Magyar0.5
Solomani Rim1
Alpha Crucis1
Canopus0.5
Aldebaran0.5
Neworld0.5
At this point the Confederation has lost about 40% of its fleet, and is left with the equivalent of 4.5 sector fleets.

If Wolfe had been able to strip half the captial ships outside the Rim for inclusion in the Grand Fleet (and he probably couldn't), he would have had, at best, the equivalent of nearly 3 sector fleets for the Grand Fleet -- and probably a lot less.

Meanwhile, if the Imperium started with the equvalent of 4 sector fleets for its invasion of the Solomani Sphere, 1 of those was probably used to occupy Daibei, Diaspora, and Old Expanses, leaving the equivalent of, at best, nearly 3 sector fleets for continuing the invasion -- and probably a lot less, considering attrition and the fact that a sizable force appears to have been deployed in Magyar.

So all told, at the start of 1002 the fleet forces in the Rim were probably close to even, and the Confederation might have had a slight advantage in only needing to defend.

Which means the Grand Fleet strategy seems fairly defensible as a short term tactic. Wolfe probably hoped only to win some crucial early battles to discourage further Imperial incursions, and maybe get a ceasefire declared before the Imperium penetrated the rimward half of the Solomani Rim -- and could attack Terra directly.

Last edited:
The narrative always emphasized that the Grand Fleet gambit was chosen out of desperation, and sold to the political class because it worked once before against the Vilani.

The narrative always emphasized that the Grand Fleet gambit was chosen out of desperation, and sold to the political class because it worked once before against the Vilani.
I don't think this is inconsistent with my thought experiment. Tactically, it's defensible, but strategically, it's desperation.

a few thoughts

In 1116, Rebellion source book says subsector fleet 1 is in Core and 17 is in Ley.

Although it's possible to relocate fleets, pull them back from the front line. I suggest 1 has always been in Core.

A 1st and 17th battle fleet would suggest at least 17 fleets acting. Perhaps others in a defensive posture and two in an offensive posture. There are 17 subsectors bordering Solomani and neighboring space.

Sector fleets are approximately 1000 ships. Including a couple subsector fleets (as mentioned) we'd be discussing as many 1200 ships depending on the level of of adjacent sector fleet participation (Diaspora, ...).

I assume that you're discounting the OoB for the battle from Fighting Ships of the Solomani Confederation because they're too small?

I assume that you're discounting the OoB for the battle from Fighting Ships of the Solomani Confederation because they're too small?

Not so much size -- my understanding is that the Confederation navy develops task forces around specific missions. So the OoB was for the invasion of Diaspora in 990; I assumed that by 1002 those original task forces would have been dissolved and reformed into other task forces over 12 years of fighting.

I have serious doubts if the Imperium ever was on some imagined "war footing" for the Solomani Rim War. In fact, I doubt the Imperium can on a war footing as most players imagine it (about the only time this happened is likely the Rebellion).

Near the Solomani Rim, the Imperium likely had worlds on a war footing; the depots were likely buzzing with activity (all of them).

The length of the war was essentially the time it took for the Imperium to muster and transit its fleet assets down to the Rim to conduct the war.

It's entirely possible the 17th was from Ley; likely it was called up in its entirety; there's not many threats in that region of space, the Imperial leaders decided it could spare the entire 17th. It would be reinforced by other fleets in the sector as well as elements detached from other fleets in its path-of-transit to the fighting area. By the time it arrived at the front, it was probably quite an impressive fleet.

It was probably one of the last fleets to arrive. Communicating by Jump is painfully slow. Just getting news that the Solomani Rim War is happening would take months on Capital. Days, possibly weeks to analyze the information then the Admiralty would determine how much military force is necessary and from where it could be spared. Then the Admiralty on Capital would need to send out stream of couriers to areas that the call-ups would occur where the local depot would likely take further time inspect the ships (and have to contact outlying systems if the ships weren't at the depot). This would take months. Inspected ships would then have to go through maintenance to make them transit-ready. The entire process would probably take over a year. If the Solomani were particularly difficult, more fleets would have to be called up, and so on.

I can easily imagine that the 1st fleet would be the fleet the Imperium sent down to the war first; it's the fleet that the Imperium uses to show it is "serious business" that is going on and that they're committed. It probably also has the best ships and best crews. Since it is such a prestigious fleet, they'd take pains to ensure it is the most powerful and would be reinforced with elements from other fleets constantly to ensure it is up to strength or overstrength.

The 17th would have been called down from Ley, probably towards the end of the war. It'd be arriving fresh and undamaged. So it's likely they'd be given a heavy fighting assignment.

Not so much size -- my understanding is that the Confederation navy develops task forces around specific missions. So the OoB was for the invasion of Diaspora in 990; I assumed that by 1002 those original task forces would have been dissolved and reformed into other task forces over 12 years of fighting.

I meant that FSSC gives an OoB for the Battle of Dingir.

I have serious doubts if the Imperium ever was on some imagined "war footing" for the Solomani Rim War. In fact, I doubt the Imperium can on a war footing as most players imagine it (about the only time this happened is likely the Rebellion).

Near the Solomani Rim, the Imperium likely had worlds on a war footing; the depots were likely buzzing with activity (all of them).

The length of the war was essentially the time it took for the Imperium to muster and transit its fleet assets down to the Rim to conduct the war.

I think this is mostly right: even a casual review of demographics shows that the Confederation's only hope was Imperial indifference. Unfortunately they were just successful enough to draw a response.

Based on Sector Fleet, Imperial battle fleets would be very different in composition and mission than numbered subsector fleets, which are focused on defense and internal security; battle fleets would be drawn from the ranks of existing sector fleets. This wouldn't require the Imperials to go on a war footing, but would take a lot of time to muster and organize. I would imagine each sector duke would have their own ideas as to what fleet elements were indispensable and what elements could be spared for the battle fleet.

"Surely not the Indomitable -- why, that's my cousin Imrii's own flag! Grandmamma would never let me hear the end of it."

The Imperials could waste months and months of haggling like this.

So while elements of the 17th Imperial Battle Fleet could very well have been drawn from Ley, following Sector Fleet I would suggest this force was a very different thing than the 17th Subsector Fleet, assigned to guard Ikhnaton Subsector.

Last edited:
Back