• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Things that don't add up about TNE

kaladorn

SOC-14 1K
Help me out here, those who understand this:

I) Chargen does not line up with the background

To wit: Hivers showed up in 1192. Seems to me like the implication is the 20 worlds didn't have space travel before that (most of them anyway). First contact with Traders was in 1195 (they must have been Trading elsewhere, but it is unclear to me where given the state of the nearby subsectors). The Hiver Academy was built in 1193 and had first graduates in 1197. Then the Twelve were sent out. Game starts in 1201.

So, how am I generating characters with 5 terms in the space navy? How am I generating characters with 5 terms in the scouts? How many of these careers would have been open before the Hivers came back? How many TLs did the hivers help restore? (That is unclear to me - was it 2 or 3 for most worlds?)

I'm having trouble explaining how PC career history works in light of the timeline of when starfaring became possible again. On the one hand, I think a 1-2 term max of space careers might be justified (or at least interstellar... maybe some small amount of system stuff may have occured). That would be a house rule. On the other hand, that means nobody will ever get enough ship DMs to get a worthwhile ship.

II) Fixed attributes for calculating Assets

I am sure this was done for simplicity and in an attempt to distribute skills evenly across attributes, they put some skills in odd places. MT did this better as each task listed the appropriate skill and attribute. I plan to use this older method in my TNE game.

Exempla Gratia:
a) Slug Weapons (STR). STR? Really? Not likely. Otherwise weightlifters would be the best shooters. This is not the case. Some wiry young women are incredible shooters and they don't have 9 STR. To be more concrete: Take a 7mm rifle, add a bipod, lie prone to fire it. How much STR is involved? Very little. A keen eye, a bit of judgement, those pertain. STR might play a role in standing shooting with heavy or unbalanced weapons or in fast shooting with significant recoil. It plays little in more controlled shooting with reasonable weight weapons or in stances other than the standing (because you can brace in the other stances). Eyesight is probably one of THE most critical long range shooting assets. Steady hands help, but this can be related to nerves, blood pressure, muscle tone (not bulk), breathing and so on.

b) Guard Animal Training, CON: Eh? CON? Have you ever trained a dog or cat? Willpower perhaps. Charisma (to assert dominance). Intelligence to recognize why your training is not working. But CON? We're not talking riding horses for 8 hours or grooming them and shoveling out the stable.

c) Climbing, CON: Once you get up there, yes. But you need a certain amount of strength just to even contemplate climbing as you must support your body mass if it is a vertical assent.

The list goes on but having a flexible understanding of what attribute applies to any given task seems to me more sensible.

III) Transfering careers
a) No DMs for joining the military later in life? It's a young man's game, for the most part.
b) Do you keep rank? I had a Scout Commander come out and want to do a hitch in the RCMC. Does he keep O-4? That might not make sense (he hasn't got a Marine Force Commander's experience). Or does he start having to roll for Commission and Promotion from the start? (I think in the real world, you'd get partial credit and maybe be admitted as an O-2 or in some rare cases of high rank in the other job, O-3).

IV) Let's say you come from a Pre-Stellar world. You work your way into one of the spacing careers. You get Astrogation but you get the "* only works for system astrogation" (not Jump). This might make sense for a skill picked up on your homeworld, but if you've joined the RCES or the like, you'd think that restriction (many homeworld restrictions for starfaring careers) are a bit ridiculous.

V) Interview and Interrogation either merit seperate descriptions or don't need to be two skills. I think Interogation should include knowing how to apply coercion and phsyical deprivation to encourage cooperation as well as understanding how to trip up interrogated persons by conversational approaches. I think Interview should include accurately assessing UPP stats.

VI) Pilot(grav/interface) covers getting to orbit, gas giant skimming, etc. Navigation covers course plotting in open space. What covers flying in open space? Ship's tactics hardly seems the answer. Maybe it is Pilot(grav/interface) but that is unclear to me.

VII) Why does Scout never get an initiative bonus? It seems like the kind of job you would learn to be very aware and have fast reactions.

VIII) Investigation should include the procedural knowledge of investigations that help you feret out clues (police do this all the time by digging through papers, records, crime scene evidence, etc). It should make you aware of avenues and tools you can use to conduct an investigation. The way they've written it, is is simply CSI/Forensics.

IX) Cross Country Travel: Groundcar is faster than wheeled ATV? (This could be an errata I failed to notice). I also doubt that all cross country scenarios are 25% speed (especially for tracklayers). Tanks probably manage closet to 50-60% speed in many off-road conditions (there are already mods for hills, swamps, mountains, etc). And why do Grav vehicles have 1/4 off road speeds as well? One assumes they'll fly over such terrain (besides it destroys the Grave Bike through the forests of RODNE (read bkwds)).

X) You can only increase a stat by two in your career from your base. Can you gain more than two points as long as your stat does not exceed orig value + 2? This applies when you are using attribute improvement opportunities to replace lost attribute points from aging. It could be I could gain 2 pts of STR and still end up with my base STR as all I did was compensate for -2 due to age. This seems reasonable to me, but I'm not sure what the intent was.

XI) Do military careers in specific ranks really pay you based on your SOC? (Seems to me you'd have a set salary and it would not be SOC-driven).

That's it for now. :)

I mostly like what I read, but some of it has not fallen into place for me (does not add up) and some seems a bit awry.

Yes, the character gen is broken given the game pre-history. It is probably reasonable to assume that the RC worlds retained a reasonable level of TL (8ish) or they would not have had the ships available or the necessary infrastructure to support the ship building we see in Path of Tears etc.

They must have had reasonable TL or the hiver academy would not have been able to train so many people so quickly. Its a bit difficult to train a TL3 local to fix TL12 equipment in a few years. (provision of the necessary education is probably one of the major drags on openning up the wilds - people have to be trained how to operate and maintain / repair all that salvaged equipment)

If you get the chance see the Traveller Chronicle articles on the Gralyn Union (issues 5 to 7 from memory). They merge the worlds history post collapse into the character gen, so certain careers only open up from certain dates

Somewhere I read that the terms for character generation were supposed to be adjusted based on the history of the homeworld concerned as they are more generic. Anyone remember where this is?

Yes, the character gen is broken given the game pre-history. It is probably reasonable to assume that the RC worlds retained a reasonable level of TL (8ish) or they would not have had the ships available or the necessary infrastructure to support the ship building we see in Path of Tears etc.

That makes some sense. Maybe no jump, but perhaps some in-system. May vary by planet. There is a concession to this under Hiver Tech Academy (only 1 additional term after the Academy). But that's the only place in chargen I saw explicit concession made. I worked around this as a ref.

The one *gaming* issue you'd have with proper career-by-year limits is that nobody in the RCES should have high astrogation or space gunnery skills, etc. Nobody would have served more than at most 2 terms in any spacing career and only 1 if they had to get educated into the career and if there are so few starships.

If you get the chance see the Traveller Chronicle articles on the Gralyn Union (issues 5 to 7 from memory). They merge the worlds history post collapse into the character gen, so certain careers only open up from certain dates

I have a couple of the latest Chronicles. We still need a Traveller CD with the fanzines (all of them that can be had) and the Seeker Gaming Systems Deckplans.

I wonder if the mags are available on Drive Thru RPG? Have to take a look....

I've got another one too:

XI) What were the Free Traders doing before the RC/Dawn League?

I mean, the planets in the Old Expanses are generally very dangerous. And if nobody knew much about the stars or had starships, WHERE exactly were the Free Traders operating?Allegedly the RC only made contact with them in 1195... where were they doing business before that? How were they not getting killed by the sorts of things that happened to the 12 ships from the Dawn League? I mean, it wasn't like that expedition suffered a 25-30% loss, it was 100%. That suggests to me Free Traders can't have gone too many places...

I see I may have to adjust the history somewhat to make any of this make sense.

XI) What were the Free Traders doing before the RC/Dawn League?

I mean, the planets in the Old Expanses are generally very dangerous. And if nobody knew much about the stars or had starships, WHERE exactly were the Free Traders operating?Allegedly the RC only made contact with them in 1195... where were they doing business before that? How were they not getting killed by the sorts of things that happened to the 12 ships from the Dawn League? I mean, it wasn't like that expedition suffered a 25-30% loss, it was 100%. That suggests to me Free Traders can't have gone too many places...

I think the thing about the 12 Traders was that they were ridiculously optimistic, and if you read some of the material in PoT a certain way they might even have been unarmed (the ex-DLS Eos, now in the Keipes Navy, being described as 'now armed with a laser turret'). You have to assume the Free Traders are smarter than that.

Also, Free Traders might not have been too active near the core of the RC - there's viral impediments to travel at Mitchell/Khulam and Darianne/Thoezzent.

That said, it is odd that contact with Free Traders only occurs in 1195. Some of the NPCs in 'Star Vikings' have been involved in planetary trading enterprises from 1181. Maybe the viral impediments are enough to stop outside free traders coming in - or maybe the ones operating in the area of the nascent Dawn League tend to stick to that area and then get co-opted into the reconstruction enterprises. The problem with the latter is that then they should be warning the DL to be careful with their 12 Trader programme.

It is possible the 1195 date is some sort of 'official contact' versus persistent existing lower-level contacts. Maybe the Free Trader Conclave (totally making up a body that represents the Traders' aggregate leadership) got together and decided to officially contact the Dawn League as a sort of diplomatic feeler. That might be the sort of info that pertains. I mean, in one of the books, they have a bit of fluff fiction about Traders coming and taking the writer's mother and sister and him wanting to go to the stars for revenge and one presumes this sort of thing might have been going on for a long time.

You've hit on precisely my problem with the Traders: Why didn't they warn the Dawn League?

One way the official description sort-of works is the local traders had no contact with ones further out because the places they could jump to were all dangerous. The courses of the 12 makes that premise dubious.

The second is that the Traders were hording their course/planet data because they were suspicious of the Dawn League and how they might upset the applecart. This begs the question of why they'd be any less suspicious of the RC, unless they were somehow using this as a counterbalance to the Guild (whom I assume they don't like either).

Maybe there were some issues of a personal nature between key Free Trader personalities and key RC personalities that impeded information interchange. Maybe the Traders warned them, but they opted to ignore the info and the Traders just threw up their hands.

If we assume Traders are very clannish, keep stuff within their own ships and clique (sort of Pride of Chanur style or Finity's End) rather than sharing data openly with Groundhogs (which is how many of the Dawn League planets may well have been), then that may explain the lack of information transfer before the initial mission.

Maybe that means relations with the Traders in 1201 aren't too fantastic. The RC blames them for not cluing them in to the state of affairs outside and the Traders blame them for not listening and for wanting to go off half-cocked and unprepared. The Traders may also fear their influence along with recognizing that increased Trade may be a good thing (small companies often fear larger amounts of business for fear of being swept aside). The RC, having wised up a bit from the Dawn League, may actually be using contacts within the Traders that are sympathetic to the RC (or unknowning) to obtain Intel for Ops.

This sort of setup might be a bit more interesting and plausible given the timeline.

It is possible the 1195 date is some sort of 'official contact' versus persistent existing lower-level contacts. Maybe the Free Trader Conclave (totally making up a body that represents the Traders' aggregate leadership) got together and decided to officially contact the Dawn League as a sort of diplomatic feeler. That might be the sort of info that pertains. I mean, in one of the books, they have a bit of fluff fiction about Traders coming and taking the writer's mother and sister and him wanting to go to the stars for revenge and one presumes this sort of thing might have been going on for a long time.

Well, the thing about the Free Traders, as detailed in Path of Tears, is that there is no leadership - just a loose society. The traders detailed in the main rulebook (pre PoT) might well be bad eggs, but they're a closer fit for the Mercantile Guild - which has its genesis in PoT.
You've hit on precisely my problem with the Traders: Why didn't they warn the Dawn League?

Something occurred to me about that. Let's forget that there may be a low number of Free Traders around the nascent Dawn League, and even that they'll only be in port briefly as they wend their ways around the stars: perhaps they never thought that the Dawn League would be so stupid in their operating procedures. The best of the free traders might have thought of the plan to send the 12 Traders into the Wilds as a good attempt to emulate what they had been doing for decades - the worst might have seen them as some kind of competition - but could any of them have forseen unarmed and low-security conscious crews being sent out? I doubt it. For an example of such a circumstance from our recent history see the politically motivated cutting of stabilization troops in Iraq during the planning for the Iraq War - batshit crazy idea, wiser heads ignored, big impact.

If you take into account the fact that the Free Traders are not going to be privy to the full details of the League plans (and neither might the League, seeing how some of the 12 Traders are controlled by planetary govts.) then the Free Traders are off the hook.

One way the official description sort-of works is the local traders had no contact with ones further out because the places they could jump to were all dangerous. The courses of the 12 makes that premise dubious.

There just may not have been much contact between the Free Traders at that point, or they might not have been privy to the League's plans.

I've been looking at the Old Expanses Map in more detail - Coreward Thoezennt is J-3 from Eos or Nike Nimbus due to the Virus infestations at Possin and Darainne. Likewise the hostile system of Keipes and the low-fuel source system of Thorell limit trade in coreward Nicosia subsector, and perhaps the theocratic regimes at Lebherz, coupled with the Virus infestation at Mitchell limit trade to the rimward Nicosia subsector.

Don't forget the Guild. They formed in the 1160s and would have absorbed most free traders into a loose brotherhood. When the Guild turned in the 1180s, they took the amoral path, most free traders are now members of a borderline criminal organisation. We know the Guild are keen on keeping space travel to themselves. Only a few traders were sufficiently bold enought to break away.

So who is to warn the Dawn League - certainly not the guild, they consider the DL as a rival and they don't trust multi-world govts. And the vampire highway keeps most of the frre traders away from the DL. There are a handful of traders mentioned in the books that are on the RC side of the vamp highway. They seem to have genrally helped the RC find the missing ships etc. They probably didn't think the DL would be that stupid to send unarmed traders into known vampire hotspots. Pretty obvious the DL govts did not ask the traders they had contact with. Let face it the Horus was sent into danger by the local govt and event the RC didn't know about the local govts deviation from the proposed course.

Just the usual snafus with various groups not talking to each other. The traders can't warn the league if the league does not tell them what they are planning.

Don't forget the Guild. They formed in the 1160s and would have absorbed most free traders into a loose brotherhood. When the Guild turned in the 1180s, they took the amoral path, most free traders are now members of a borderline criminal organisation. We know the Guild are keen on keeping space travel to themselves. Only a few traders were sufficiently bold enought to break away.

In PoT they form in the 1170s ("almost 30 years ago") and turned 12 years ago, by the setting's default of 1201 that makes 1189 the truning date.

Also, given the Free Trader/Guild mix at Berens in "The Guilded Lilly" I don't think we can say most traders have been absorbed, unless we're talking about the heartland of the Guild - which I'd reckon to be the space between and around Jump and Justabit.

So who is to warn the Dawn League - certainly not the guild, they consider the DL as a rival and they don't trust multi-world govts. And the vampire highway keeps most of the frre traders away from the DL. There are a handful of traders mentioned in the books that are on the RC side of the vamp highway. They seem to have genrally helped the RC find the missing ships etc. They probably didn't think the DL would be that stupid to send unarmed traders into known vampire hotspots. Pretty obvious the DL govts did not ask the traders they had contact with. Let face it the Horus was sent into danger by the local govt and event the RC didn't know about the local govts deviation from the proposed course.

The Guild may not even be that organized in the area of the Dawn League at the time of mission planning.

Just the usual snafus with various groups not talking to each other. The traders can't warn the league if the league does not tell them what they are planning.

Story of life eh? ;)

Hmmm

The 1248 setting had some things to say which made things seem both more and less sensible. I mention them here with excerpts and with no implied challenge to the IP of the copyright holders. There is much more in those products worth reading.

"In 1192, they [Hivers] contacted a number of worlds in the Old
Expanses and a year later several worlds in that region opened ‘Hiver Technical Academies’ to train their brightest and best. By 1195 these worlds were making tentative contact and opening trade relations with one another, and Hiver ‘Tech-representatives’ were aboard every starship they sent."

So, tentative contact. Seems like the RC worlds were certainly not in regular diplomatic contact at least (which is what I think this may refer to or could be taken liberally to mean). Opening trade may again be of the official sort.

To the Guild issue in the 1196 - 1205 Period:

"The Council of Admirals, as the leaders of the Guild came to call themselves, was dominated by these warlords, who were determined to gain and maintain a monopoly on interstellar trade in the sector. Independents were forced to join the Guild and submit to its rules, or were run off (or killed and their ships taken)."

The DL in the same period:

"In the Old Expanses, the Hiver Technical Academies began producing trained starship crews and technicians, and tentative trade began between several worlds from about 1195."

So, again, this could be official trade. Or it could be *any trade*.

Then we have the timeline from the Freedom League supplement...

"
1164 / 1165 Dawn League Core worlds now maintaining steady interstellar contact.
1165 Mercantile Guild forms at Gegashaa.
1185 Change of leadership within the Mercantile Guild
1192 A mission from what will become the Dawn League returns with the first Hiver personnel.
1193 Hiver follow on missions arrive within the core dawn League worlds. Hiver technical academy is established.
1195 to 1197 Dawn League core worlds contact remaining nearby worlds. [Not sure exactly which were Core worlds]
1198 Twelve vessels selected by the Dawn League as exploration ships
1205 Reformation Coalition forces operating in the Diaspora Sector against the Guild are reinforced by new Coalition naval vessels built for the Solee War. Internal coups within the Mercantile Guild. Slavers and pirates expelled as Free Trader Association captains take control.
Reformation Coalition forces raiding and destroying Guild facilities and ships across central Diaspora. Guild starport at Jump interdicted by the Coalition Navy.
1206 Coalition agrees pact with the Mercantile Guild to support the alliance fleet.
1219 Formal rapprochement with the Mercantile Guild. Guild takes up shipping duties to worlds that have broken away from the Reformation
Coalition"

So this gives us some picture of the Guild's lifespan and the state of contact within the DL's Core Worlds and then the larger DL sphere from the 1160s through 1200+. It doesn't really confirm what the state of general knowledge about planets beyond those routes would be like or the relationship between the Free Traders (or Guild if they suck up most of them) and the DL.

This passage gives us some ideas of where the RC got some of its ship power and how the Core Worlds kept up contact:

"Those who fought the utter lawlessness between the stars in the Hard Times, the Star Mercs, with their own unique subculture and use of ‘tac-code’ nicknames, passed along this idea into the New Era, to the new Star Vikings, the warriors, spies, and pathfinders of the Reformation Coalition Exploratory Service (RCES). Some of the RCES early wilds modified armed starships which had once been Star Merc Vessels that took shelter in the six Aubaine Subsector worlds that became the nucleus of the Dawn League."

This one gives us some idea about the nature of the Guild:

"Lastly, the interstellar mercantile ideals of a small Hard Times era pocket empire, known as the Alurzan Cartel of Diaspora, gave birth in the early recovery era to a planetless entity known as the Diasporan Mercantile Starfarer’s Guild. The Guild’s 100 Ship’s Owners ‘Admiralty
Board members sought sole supremacy of trade between the stars and opposed the rise of interstellar states. The Guild’s original intent was perverted by captains of amoral fiber and turned to piracy, slaving, and the endless quest of profit at the expense of others
save themselves. The core ideal did not die, however, and eventually returned as the pirates, and slavers died off, were run off, or were prosecuted by the Empire of Solee and the Reformation Coalition. This allowed those among the Guild who ‘kept the dream alive’ to return the Guild to its true course."

This passage follows the Guild going bad in 1185:

"This shift in amoral trade policies caused those few
independent single-ship Owners much alarm, and many
broke away from the increasingly criminally leaning path
the Guild swerved so casually down, forming the Free
Trader Network in protest. While these few noble-minded
Captains preserved their integrity and their ships, they
also surrendered their fence-sitting comrades to the new
majority in the Owner-leadership."

It speaks to the presence of some free trader captains and at least some form of organization, however loose, between them even with the Guild around.

This one speaks very specifically to how many Free Traders were left after the split above and to how many were not tied to a few particular routes:

"the Guild lost roughly a third of their Captains in the political upheaval of the time. Many of these rebel single-ship owners however were then preyed upon by the Guild’s more ruthless captains
and lost both their lives and ships. By 1200 League Historians determined, of the roughly 120 Rebel Free Trader captained vessels, only those tied to Ephraim, Xulfor and Jenms. The Sarcathon Commonwealth and some twenty four others had survived the determined efforts of the Guild to ‘re-integrate’ them by force."

So 24 real non-Guild Free Traders for the rest of space in the Old Expanses. That's a very thin lifeline and probably one that may not have had much contact with the DL and may not have understood they planned to send unarmed/unprepared ships full of optimists out into the local neighborhood, something they themselves probably could not imagine doing.

This speaks to the core worlds of the DL actually looking outward:

"The six worlds of the Vras subsector eventually cemented trade and defense ties with one another, and even undertook salvage and scouting missions to nearby cemetery or ‘Boneyard’ worlds as they were called. One such salvage mission aboard the armed freighter SS Morgana to trailing in 02-I-11 92 encountered the Hiver Federation’s
scouts and a diplomatic team in the Zloga system."

And:

"Between 1195 and 1197 the Dawn League as they called themselves contacted the nearby worlds trailing of themselves. The six worlds became twenty-one,"

1198:
"The Dawn League by then had made valuable contacts with several Free Trader network Captains, and increased the number of trained starship personnel they had"

So, by 1198, they were in touch with Free Traders and maybe even (not specified, but they talk about increasing the number of trained ship crew) some of them joined the DL. Why would they go out unarmed?

So, even with all that we know, there's still something that does not add up.

I think to make this work, you have to assume that the small number of true Free Traders may have contacted the DL, but there were very few of them left not sucked up by the Guild and the Guild viewed the DL as a competitor to be stopped or at least let fail on its own.

Similarly, assume that the details of ship armament (or not) weren't widely reported and the Free Traders, dropping by only occasionally, probably didn't realize that the League was sending out lambs to the slaughter.

I'm going to further assume that the Traders didn't provide crew to the 12, or they would sure as hell have raised a fuss about going out unarmed. I'm going to assume they simply helped train some of those who went and again did not really realize that the DLers were going out 'unheeled' into the Wilds.

Of course, the particular planets targeted by the 12 may not have been visited by Traders so no specific intel may have been available, but certainly the general 'hostile universe' pattern had to be well known.

So the only reasonable assumptions that make this work are:
- Few Traders
- Guild hostile to DL interests
- No Traders on initial missions
- Traders make assumptions about a proper posture for Wilds missions, DL never thinks to ask, so warnings aren't strongly communicated

This is the only thing that would make real sense.

And then, what about the Starfish?

The Hivers knew what the Wilds were like. They cut through them over the course of establishing 3 client states to reach the RC territory. How would their tech advisors, wanting their new allies to succeed, not brief the DL folks on the risks?

The only answers I can come up with are that the Hivers must have felt it necessary for their purposes for the DLers to get 'a good dose of reality' which would tend to send them on a more militant path of buildup - in the net, to the Hiver's longer-term benefit. Nasty, but within the broad framework of manipulation.

That's the best I can come up with.

The Hivers knew what the Wilds were like. They cut through them over the course of establishing 3 client states to reach the RC territory. How would their tech advisors, wanting their new allies to succeed, not brief the DL folks on the risks?

The only answers I can come up with are that the Hivers must have felt it necessary for their purposes for the DLers to get 'a good dose of reality' which would tend to send them on a more militant path of buildup - in the net, to the Hiver's longer-term benefit. Nasty, but within the broad framework of manipulation.

That's the best I can come up with.

Yup, that's an idea that occurred to me too - the Hivers' letting the DL mess-up to get a polity more attuned to the Wilds in place.

The 1248 setting had some things to say which made things seem both more and less sensible. I mention them here with excerpts and with no implied challenge to the IP of the copyright holders. There is much more in those products worth reading.
<SNIP>

There's a lot in the 1248 setting that clashes with original TNE - The Trigger Incident on Montezuma (a civilian massacre detailed in one of the Challenges) is moved to Keipes. This causes Keipes to surrender to the RC, as they were afraid of Kide. Kide gets taken-over by the forces earmarked for taking Keipes. Doesn't make much sense to me.

There's also a crashed far trader on Futok, which in PoT is pre-collapse, but for some reason is changed to become a Guild Ship. I can't see why the change is made.

A big city on Nicosia gets meson-gunned by the RC to eliminate a command and control bunker - but why the RC would need to do that for a TL-3 world with some TL-6 relic weapons escapes me.

Solee gets changed to a massive empire with 60-odd worlds, conflicting with PoT enormously.

I'm sure there's more.

Don't like the sounds of that Solee much, either.

IMTU, the Dawn League ships recovered most interplanetary travel by the 1150's but most were unwilling or unable to go insterstellar before (I had a conspiracy theory about other attempts on at least two separate RC worlds prior but that had been covered up - one pointing to Nemyer's relationship with a couple TED's and The Guild).

quote from Shield.

Shame on you both. I'd have expected better from the two of you.

Kaladorn you're opperating from a false premise. The rules are not designed to conform to only one specific background. You may have been one of the original ones to have dismissed TNE as Not Traveller but it is. The Character generation is generic so that you can play in ANY setting. Allmost all of your character generation complaints appear to be setting dependent and are thus things the players need to work out between themselves and their GM with some common sense. You'd be criticising the rules if it did not allow you to create a five term scout if you wanted to play in the Regency, or your own homebrew setting wouldn't you?
(Incidentally you could easily play a five term scout in the Reformation Coallition setting, the character would have to have been a low berth revived remnant for atleast four of those terms however, and given the coallitions attitudes to remnants, particularly those that served the Imperium, as a GM I'd impose a negative DM to the characters social standing. Another possibility would be to have served in the Covenant of Sufrens decidely tiny Scout service, however depending on the start date of the game your five term scout may have to hide his background or have a reasonable backstory as to why his presences has not revealed the existence of the Covenant of Sufren to the Reformation Coallition.)

Shield, you've answered Kaladorn by agreeing with his false premise. Generic character generation in all games needs to be carefully crafted by the GM and players to conform to a given setting in order to play in that setting but given the support for other settings, and some minor encouragement for Traveller players to create their own settings, character generation had to be as generic and universal as it was in the little black books. I believe they achieved that end, it is therefore not "broken", YMMV.

To wit: Hivers showed up in 1192. Seems to me like the implication is the 20 worlds didn't have space travel before that (most of them anyway). First contact with Traders was in 1195 (they must have been Trading elsewhere, but it is unclear to me where given the state of the nearby subsectors). The Hiver Academy was built in 1193 and had first graduates in 1197. Then the Twelve were sent out. Game starts in 1201.

Keep in mind that the rules are not solely intended for play in and around the RC, they also must account for the Marches and anyone wanting to use them for their own homemade setting.

(Whoops! Badbru got there ahead of me).

Yup

Badbru and Vargas are correct. The Chargen is intended to be generic Chargen, and not locked into a specific background. I think we tried to make some references here and there on how to fit the generic Chargen into a specific timeline, but it must not have been clear enough to some people. This is an example of what I have described as the "underlap" between attempting to be specifically geared to the current storyline while retaining the universal/generic all options for all campaigns that is the Traveller tradition. Not always possible to get them to mesh up perfectly with each other. I've discussed some other specific example of this on another list.

Dave

Back