• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller adventures that require Brains not Guns

Maladominus

SOC-14 1K
Hi all,

I wanted to cover a very neglected topic in Role-Playing Games:

Creating and sharing adventures/scenarios and missions that require the use of thinking skills, problem-solving skills, investigative skills, and require zero use of guns/physical violence. These are scenarios where the SUCCESS or FAILURE of the adventure will rarely be affected by the characters' use of a single Gauss Pistol shot or Laser Carbine blast.

I would like to share one example that I recently used in our online Classic Traveller campaign. I deemed the scenario a success, since after the scenario was completed 2 of the players congratulated me on creating this scenario, and the fun and excitement the group had. Funny. The characters had ZERO opportunity to use their gauss rifles, laser pistols and ACRs at all. I gave them zero opportunity for combat, yet I had been told the player group had a "blast"! Anyways, I will share the set-up summary of my scenario below, and in return, I would appreciate hearing more ideas for "gunbattle-free Traveller scenarios".

=================================================

"Blade Runner"

Premise: For months, the adventure crew of the Rotten Luck had been contracted as explorers and liaisons by the Solomani science foundation ConTech.

Premise 1) ConTech's CEO contacts the adventurers. She says that ConTech has a little problem... and requests the group's assistance. Problem is that ConTech (in the past couple decades) has done joint projects on Artificial Intelligence robots, in conjunction with other companies such as Panstellar. To test out how well their androids will perform, one of their "prized androids" 104D (aka Tenfordee) has been on a 5-year lease to a popular and charismatic Vice-Governor of the planet Viallalta (Magyar sector).

Premise 2) In the recent week, ConTech was notified that Tenfordee, who had served as the loyal valet-robot to Vice-Governor Valero, had been "arrested" as prime suspect for the gruesome assassination of the beloved Planetary Vice-Governor Valero.

Premise 3) ConTech leadership insists this is impossible! Tenfordee would never do something like this! Impossible. The android's programming was solid, well-tested, over and over. The droid was never programmed with any combat skills or the ability to perform some kind of ghastly murder. There's no way their droid would have done this. The Viallaltans must be mistaken. ConTech leadership is sending their "troubleshooters" (the PCS) to Viallalta post-haste.

Premise 4) Before the adventurers starship could reach Viallalta, Tenfordee is already scheduled for trial. The current climate is VERY hostile to the poor Android (locked up in solitary confinement). Viallalta is a reasonably high tech planet, and still retains some Agrarian features. In the Old Days, some old-timers remember when Viallalta was once a gorgeous pristine Terran-like garden world. No goddam robots. No androids. And the cities did not encroach on the vast countryside. And the Viallaltan farmers used simpler tools (albeit high tech ones), not some robots to harvest their bountiful crops.

Today, these old timers now support an ultraconservative political party, The Viallalta Humanist Party, who came to power some years ago on the platform they they would ban ROBOTS from the face of the planet. This party (and their political allies) have gained in power and support, and have promised to bring Viallalta back to "The Good Old Days".

PC Investigation) Upon landing in Viallalta, the Adventurers do the first logical thing. They visit 104D the android in his prison cell, locked up in a tower building in Viallalta's capital city (also its starport city). They interview the droid. Tenfordee states that he is innocent, and cannot remember having taken any action to harm the assassinated Vice-Governor.

Tenfordee "I was in the kitchen, chopping up vegetables, preparing the Vice-Governor's favorite meal. While I admit I had a sharp kitchen utensil in my hands at the time, I do not recall being outside in the mansion's patio... where the Governor was killed".

[multiple stab wounds by a sharp assassin's blade]

The Players are stumped. But by this time, they buy the presumption that the droid is innocent. But how can they prove it? Gathering the evidence was the heart of this scenario.

What the Players don't know yet)

The Vice-Governor had a former Kitchen Chef a little over 1 year ago. At that time, the Vice-Governor dismissed his Human Chef, in favor of allowing the android Tenfordee to delegate and take over as Head Chef of the Vice-Governorial kitchen staff. The android 104D was programmed to be an EXCELLENT cook, with high culinary skill programmed into him.

The dismissed human chef was vindictive of this move and swore revenge on that android.

Months later, the "Chef" had been contacted by agents of the ultraconservative Humanist Party, as well as by one of its seedy allies... the off-and-on Solomani terrorist party called SMMC -- "The Sovereignty of Man Over Machine".

It was time for another election on Viallalta's capital city. And the popular and beloved Vice-Governor Valero was.... a moderate. His politics did not jive well with the growing sentiments of the ultraconservatives, and those who opposed the hateful "machines".

It was time for the ultra-conservatives to sieze power. And they planned to do it two ways:

#1) Kill that damned moderate Vice-Governor, to pave way for more conservative Anti-Technologist candidates to have a chance!

#2) Blame the beloved Vice-Governor's death on an android itself! Prove to the rest of the world how unstable, how flawed, and how troublesome these androids/robots are to society.

The Former Chef? He was a Human chef who had masterful culinary skills himself, and was extremely proficient with a Blade. Also, he was a former kitchen staff who was familiar with the layout of the Vice-Governor's own mansion. Best of all, the Chef already have a motive for revenge. All that was needed is for the agents and operatives of the ultra-conservative SMMC and the Humanist Party to spend some weeks to train this chef... to be the perfect man to perform the assassination. The android would be framed.

Resolution in my Play Group)

The adventure lasted about 2 to 3 hours. I was quite pleased that my Players managed to succeed. First, I already knew that they had the following Traveller skills:

Legal-2
Hunting-2
Recon-1
Admin-2
Liaison-2
Bribery-1
Streetwise-2
Carousing-1

Many of these skills were used to perform a huge investigation. They HAD to gather convincing evidence to support that the Android Tenfordee was innocent. And that it was another individual that performed the murder. They succeeded with this part of the scenario.

The day before the "trial", it was expected that should the Adventurers not be able to present evidence in court in DEFENSE of the android, it was expected that Tenfordee would immediately be "terminated" once he was pronounced guilty of murder. Androids were not considered full citizens of any Solomani planet. In fact, they would be lucky if they even had HALF the rights due to a normal Human citizen. Hence, an Android could be put to death instantly without the chance of legal appeal.

During that day, a single gunshot was fired in this entire scenario. Just as the characters were leaving their starport hotel.... a marksman assassin from the SMMC terrorist group attempted to kill the ONLY character who possessed Legal-2 skill. Had this character been killed, the Adventurer Group would have had a rotten chance to present their "evidence" in a Viallaltan court of law.

As GM, I simply allowed the Dice Roll to take its role here. The dice were rolled, the character (somehow!) decided to don his Cloth Armor that morning as he was jittery from the very tense political situation on the planet. Fortunate for him, the marksman's bullet missed. Immediately, the Players took evasive action and hurriedly took cover. The marksman failed and fled right away. He was never caught.

The next day (in court) .... I allowed the Players to role-play the Legal defense of the framed Android. The players performed spectacularly! No dice were rolled. I required the players to talk things out and convince the dour hooded Viallaltan Judges (NPCS) that their ConTech Android was innocent of the murder charges! They did this in a convincing manner. The one character who possessed Legal-2 skill simply served as "assistant counsel" to a civilian defense attorney (who was sympathetic to the pro-Technologists). But the characters still had to provide all the investigative evidence.

They presented not just one, not just two. But they presented FOUR separate pieces of evidence they had gathered in the past 3 days.... in support of the Android's innocence. After both the sides (prosecution and defense) were heard, the jury came with their verdict:

Tenfordee was innocent.

Conclusion)

The framed Android was released and set free by the Viallaltan High Court. He was turned over to the PCs. The PCs immediately whisked him away back to their starship... and they left the planet ASAP. They returned to another system where they dropped off Tenfordee to the waiting ConTech representatives. They were paid Cr150,000 for their successful mission task.

** I plan to distribute this scenario in a more formal Traveller Scenario format in the near future, so that it can be used by other GMs.

A nice change of pace. I would have enjoyed playing in that.

However, after a few of those adventures I would probably be ready to shoot up some pirates.

Originally posted by atpollard:

However, after a few of those adventures I would probably be ready to shoot up some pirates.
Yes, so would I!

But remember: About 60% of the "skills" in the Traveller game are non-violent skills. They are "thinking skills", social skills, or investigative skills, problem-solving skills, or technical skills, academic skills. A GM needs to have occasional scenarios that make these non-combat skills take center stage!

The on-line game on this web site (with lots of acronyms in the title that I find hard to remember
) has a pretty low "shoot-em-up" factor. I've enjoyed reading along enough that I've decided to jump in and play.

Not enough shooting
file_23.gif

Serisouly, not all Trav Adventures need be firefights. Most of ours weren't in the begining, but later on... :rolleyes:
file_22.gif
file_21.gif

Sometimes it can be pretty fun using your brains, particularly when it disconcerts the GM. Played a game once where the GM had the starport guards harass the party to provoke a fight to throw us in jail. My wife's marine character just looked at the guards & said something to the effect of: "If I do you both can we get this nonsense over?" It completely threw the GM off his game, & got us through the encounter without any violence.

My current short game I'm planning involves setting up an Imperial diplomat to be murdered by the players (who been led to think he's a very dangerous criminal). It will interesting to see how that works out. Especially since I'm using my own character, Manax Darkhstarr as the diplomat in question.

Well, we have our share of fights in our current Traveller-campaign (mostly in German, I am afraid) - but I would call the campaign itself one that does require far more brains than guns. Diplomacy at gunpoint may be a munchkin skill and the situation may warrant gunboat policies - but usually we prefer other solutions.

In this thread our GM tries to describe the campaign in English - with a shorter version of our ship's log.

My wife's pirate character prefers the electronic approach to taking a ship in space: the 3 J's: Jam their commo, Jam their sensors, Jack their computer. Or taking the ship on the ground with most of the crew off somewhere, neutralize the minimum crew & lift ship pretending you are the real crew. Or showing up as the local authority, impound the ship, & then lift ship while the crew's busy speeding off into the town to file a complaint.

Originally posted by Manax Darkhstarr:
My wife's pirate character prefers the electronic approach to taking a ship in space: the 3 J's: Jam their commo, Jam their sensors, Jack their computer. Or taking the ship on the ground with most of the crew off somewhere, neutralize the minimum crew & lift ship pretending you are the real crew. Or showing up as the local authority, impound the ship, & then lift ship while the crew's busy speeding off into the town to file a complaint.
:D

I've done the "Walk up messenger in the starport" who hands the captain a telegram/package then a shock-pen, that induces a seizure like a heart-attack. Then had the fake medics show up and haul the unconscious captain off and then the ransom is made. Did it right in front of the PCs who didn't suspect anything.

Then the ransom can request:

the cargo
the ship
the ship & cargo
the ship's payroll (contents of the onboard safe)

etc, etc...

In my last Traveller campaign several years ago (last one before my current one), I had a run-n-gun scenario that happened in an outstation. This was set pre-Fifth Frontier War, and the characters ran into some of the dirty covert deeds the Zho's were doing as a precedent to the upcoming war. Cover, cold war kind of stuff.

Well, after that particular part of the campaign, the characters jumped to Aramis in an effort to tell the Marquis what they had found.

And this turned into one of the most incredible role-playing encounters in my gaming career. It took two game sessions, and all that really happened was that the crew went to the Marquis' palace with evidence of the Zho's dirty deeds.

But, I played the Marquis as if he didn't want to hear it. I gave the players a hard time. You see, the Marquis is vested in supplying foodstuffs from the subsector to its major markets in the Vargr Extents. A war, or even Imperial involvement in response to Zho preparation for war, screwed with the Marquis' political plans for his subsector...

...and his pocketbook.

I played the Marquis like one of those semi-corrupt rulers you see in old movies about the middle ages.

Man, what a couple of sessions that turned out to be. We still bring it up from time to time when talking about the good old days (even though it wasn't that long ago).

And, not a shot was fired.

Heck, I don't even think we made too many die rolls.

It was just flat out pure role playing--two 5 to 6 hour sessions of it.

-S4

file_21.gif
I like it. I did one once off a concept from my orignal Traveller GM: PC's all pirates except one newbie character who thought he signing on a trader's captain. Meanwhile the pirates are selecting a ship to steal & introduce to the newbie as THEIR trader. Didn't last long enough for the player to figure out he'd joined a pirate crew.

Originally posted by Gadrin:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Manax Darkhstarr:
:D

I've done the "Walk up messenger in the starport" who hands the captain a telegram/package then a shock-pen, that induces a seizure like a heart-attack. Then had the fake medics show up and haul the unconscious captain off and then the ransom is made. Did it right in front of the PCs who didn't suspect anything.

Then the ransom can request:

the cargo
the ship
the ship & cargo
the ship's payroll (contents of the onboard safe)

etc, etc...
</font>[/QUOTE]

Back