• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller: Agent

Klaus

SOC-14 1K
[cross post from the Mongoose boards]

It finally arrived at my FLGS. Was still in the box when I arrived. The poor girl had to root through all the new deliveries to find me copy, and wouldn't you know they were at the bottom of the last box she looked in.

Anyhoo.....

Firstly, airlocks, and lots of 'em!

Don't worry, there's only 3 spacecraft, but I'm pleased they have enough airlocks to function properly. :)

Agent is comparatively slender to the other profession books, but without pages of deckplans, this is packed with useful info and mechanics, just as Psion was, but more relevant to every day play, and the OTU.

7 careers, with new skill-like factors: Trust (as in how much trust the agent has with their agency), Networks (as an organisation rather than individual contacts), and Cover (as in developed aliases). These are acquired like skills, on the skill tables, in mustering out, and from Events.

Due to these taking up skill slot opportunities, Agent characters might tend to end up with less skill levels than other careers, which is a little odd for such elite career types. Covers do allow for skills to be gained from other non-Agent careers, but only if it is rolled as the first skill roll, not as for advancement (which serves to increase the cover's strength). Survival rolls are quite high, but this is balanced by a good portion of the mishaps allowing for the character to remain in the career.

There's a chapter on agencies, giving an overview of the MoJ, local police, corporate operations, and religious fanatics/zealots. There's a bunch of special actions for each one related to the Trust 'skill'. I guess these are exemplars. Note: no mention of SolSec (which for me is good, as there's nothing to contradict all the stuff I've written for my campaign).

Law Levels are broken down into the areas already seen in TMB. It is not explicitly stated, but I think the implication is that the sub categories are not meant to be exactly the same as the main Law Level.

There's several chapters detailing the processes and skill chains associated with investigations, espionage, hacking (hackers are like a 'prestige' class, with qualification based on skillset, and have special actions only they can do), corporate conflicts, and bounty hunting, with tables to aid generating missions. Like the in Mercenary, these are laid out so that players can conduct assignments quickly in downtime using a few skill rolls, but they become a toolset to help refs design the mechanical parameters of scenarios.

Then there's some new agent oriented equipment.

In terms of production, it is well written by messers Steele and Hanrahan, well laid out, with nice, B/W line art for the most part. Like Psion, it lacks the production hiccups seen in Merc and (less so) HG, so it looks like this issue may be solved.

I've only had a chance for one read through, but so far I think I will find this incredibly useful. But then I am running an agent/scoundrel game right now (unfortunately the next session will probably be before I get my hands on Scoundrel), so this has most of what I'm looking for. However, considering how most Traveller games will involve some kind of investigation and most probably law enforcement, I think all refs could find this book very useful. Along with the mission generators of other books, MGT is getting a powerful set of tools for structuring adventures.

If I had any nitpicks....

There's no specific career for a covert courier type (even though this occupation is touched upon here and there in the fluff), but hey, that's what CB3 is for! ;)

While surveillance is covered in the Espionage chapter, I would have preferred more detail in actually how to go about conducting high-tech surveillance operations. There's not a great deal of surveillance kit either, just a camera. Where's all the bugs and bug sensors, or the rules for bodging makeshift snooping devices out of personal coms (a la Burn Notice)? Not a major gripe, and perhaps the CSC will fill in some of the gaps? Leaves room for a third party supplement detailing sensors of all types and how to use and fool them.......

Overall, I'd give this an A-. It's the first MGT book that really treads new ground from previous editions, and the text is logical, clear, and sometimes insightful. It lacks the production issues of some previous books, and there is something useful and interesting on every page. I'm looking forward to hitting my players with nausea batons; should make quite a mess ..... :)

It finally arrived at my FLGS. Was still in the box when I arrived. The poor girl had to root through all the new deliveries to find me copy, and wouldn't you know they were at the bottom of the last box she looked in.
Why would she keep looking in other boxes after she found what you were looking for?;)

Klaus, got an email from Matt, he is waiting for your SolSec sourcebook...

Seriously, you should put your notes together and collabourate with whomever is going to a follow-up volume or the Alien Module on the Solomani.

...It's the first MGT book that really treads new ground from previous editions

Not to rain on the parade, and it sounds like a great addition, but it's not exactly new ground :) Various supplements since the CT era have addressed elements of this area for each edition.

Why would she keep looking in other boxes after she found what you were looking for?

Oops, I meant the last box remaining....

Klaus, got an email from Matt, he is waiting for your SolSec sourcebook...

Seriously, you should put your notes together and collabourate with whomever is going to a follow-up volume or the Alien Module on the Solomani.

Not going to say that hasn't crossed my mind.... :)

Not to rain on the parade, and it sounds like a great addition, but it's not exactly new ground Various supplements since the CT era have addressed elements of this area for each edition.

True, but piecemeal, not in such a comprehensive fashion (even lacking specific surveillance rules), and not to this level of mechanical detail. I've seen some JTAS articles that tackle some of these areas, but they could be inconsistent with each other and had a narrow focus. Not so sure about MT or TNE though. However, I can't remember anything about bounty hunting from previous editions.

True, but piecemeal, not in such a comprehensive fashion (even lacking specific surveillance rules), and not to this level of mechanical detail. I've seen some JTAS articles that tackle some of these areas, but they could be inconsistent with each other and had a narrow focus. Not so sure about MT or TNE though. However, I can't remember anything about bounty hunting from previous editions.
Much as it hurts the Nefarious Agenda of the secret Moongoose Defamation League, I think we must give Mongoose credit here. I remember working on an article about private agents many years ago, and what material already existed was fragmentary and scattered.

Hmm... I wonder how much of that article that I could salvage? I think that I'm going to put Agents on my birthday wish list (Along with the Core Rules).

Hans

Careful there...

Much as it hurts the Nefarious Agenda of the secret Moongoose Defamation League...

I can neither confirm or deny the existence of any such agency :smirk: (;))

(but let's just say the official stance is there isn't and such won't be tolerated and suggestions of such border on or may be trolling and flame bait, I'm taking your reply as tongue in cheek, and telling everyone else to as well)

I think we must give Mongoose credit here.

I believe I did. But let's not give them undue credit. I only wanted to correct the impression it had never been done before now.

Glad to hear the good news. Agent was the book I've been waiting for! Okay... Scoundrels too. I'll be picking her up when I return home in a week!

My only thing about it, from the very brief look I took, is that the law level ends at 9 (and yes, there are others who say this, which is not only how it got in my mind but something that I agree with); there's a wee bit more room in Traveller for LLs than that.

I still think that MGT needs a bit of houseruling, but OTOH they give a good starting point for that houseruling to jump from.

I only wanted to correct the impression it had never been done before now.

We never said it wasn't.

No, and I didn't say you (Mogoose) did. But if you'd read Klaus' excellent review instead of apparently just jumping on a perceived negative attack (where there was none) you'd have noted he did and I wasn't saying Mongoose did. And Klaus later graciously allowed that there were previous examples, and did a good job of noting them.

Or perhaps I'm just reading too much into your reply.

In terms of production, it is well written by messers Steele and Hanrahan...

Klaus,

Like many others I too have been looking forward to this book. While the careers in it have been detailed elsewhere, having them all in one product, not to mention updated, could only be a very good thing.

What you wrote above, however, gives me great pause.

You see, Bryan Steele wrote Mercenary for Mongoose and, considering the godawful nature of that book, I won't be buying Agents sight unseen as I originally planned.

Regards,
Bill

Klaus,

Like many others I too have been looking forward to this book. While the careers in it have been detailed elsewhere, having them all in one product, not to mention updated, could only be a very good thing.

What you wrote above, however, gives me great pause.

You see, Bryan Steele wrote Mercenary for Mongoose and, considering the godawful nature of that book, I won't be buying Agents sight unseen as I originally planned.

Regards,
Bill

I agree that (some of - it was the new combat rules and the field artillery descriptions that caused most of the stink, IMO) the Merc text was garbled and unclear, and basically didn't seem to have been effectively proofread. However, I think it is unfair to judge Mr Steele's writing on that book alone. He has also done several Conan supplements which are all perfectly fine, and while his DVD reviews in S&P do not necessarily tally with my views on cult cinema, they are not badly written.

There is the occasional mistake here and there in Agent, but you need to look hard. I would say this book is one of the best written MGT tomes so far. You might not (and I do not) agree with absolutely everything it says, but it says it well.

I'm sure a decent browse at your FLGS will reassure you that this is a competently wriiten book. :)

There is the occasional mistake here and there in Agent, but you need to look hard. I would say this book is one of the best written MGT tomes so far. You might not (and I do not) agree with absolutely everything it says, but it says it well.

Klaus,

Thanks, that's very good to know.

I only know Steele's work from Mercenary. Learning that he's written other well received RPG supplements is a relief.

Regards,
Bill

Discovered another glaring omission, though minor.

There is no special action for the Interrogation skill from Mercenary during the Discovery Phase of Investigations (in fact no skills that have appeared in supplements are featured). It's easy enough to fix, given the generous helping of white space at the bottom, by writing in a couple of your own.

I think the frequent bits of white space in Psion and Agent are becoming a bit of a feature for me. Yes, they could put more art (there is already enough, though) in there, but it's handy to have a place for your own pencilled notes and house rules. It's good for when you want to put some custom Events entries in.

Just a heads up, alot of the missing spy gear is in the Central Supply Catalog.
I got Agent last night, paged through it, might get to read it tommorow night.

After an initial read yesterday, this could be my favorite MonTrav book! It adds a host of new areas such as investigation, espionage, hacking, bounty-hunting... you name it. The careers look good and aren't as superflous as the dozens in High Guard. I haven't looked over the Events tables too much although the Cop career has some great nods to TV and movie fiction!

I'll write more when I get a chance to review at length. But it definitely appears to be an excellent addition!

Back