• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller and 'Changeling The Dreaming' ?

JimMarn

SOC-14 1K
Oner of my relatives has asked me to run a game of 'Changeling the Dreaming (1996)' by White Wolf. Traveller will be a background, I don't want to overwhelm the kids. CT or GURPS. I also have Mongoose if you think that would be better as a background.

I have been thinking about it and have tentatively decided to have it on my Starship Wanderer. It has thousands of people, and hundreds of decks, on it.

A group of sidhe could easily blend in. There are Cro-Magnons, Neaderthals, 22nd century AD, 25th century AD, and other folks aboard. Not much detail of who is on the ship.

I think its big enough, two 3ds versions of it.

http://travellergame.drivein-jim.net/articles/513/starship-wanderer-a-3d-rendering

sketch, side-view, of the starship:
http://travellergame.drivein-jim.net/articles/491/starship-wanderer-sketch-of-the-starship

Possible ? Impossible ? It will be my sister and her kids playing. Two teens and one younger.

Thanks !

Well, read up on that, and got to say, it's 'spiritually' about as opposed to Traveller as one could get.

So I'm not sure ANY Traveller system is wired to deal with this tale- more your ship setting with the White Wolf rules would seem more appropriate, if you are going to take the scenario straight up.

Where I might be interested in using a Traveller system is if you sci-fi up the background and effects.

Say make the fae changelings more of a symbiotic psionic virus surviving by 'infecting' people, perhaps able to be even downloadable onto higher capacity data wafers meant for full intellects.

The changelings don't actually change the world in some magical manner, but look to change people's outlook into their preferred Dreaming goal through the use of their psionic powers.

As such, when they are active it's more like a religious or cultural movement out to change minds and personal/societal directions.

And authority and other figures wearing psionic helmets would be considered literally closed minded and hard headed.

For a special oomph, you could say the psionic suppression meme of Traveller could have been ultimately aimed at the fae and their tendency to be very disruptive to a technological society.

Boy the Zho would really hate these guys. The Imperium is one thing, the changelings would be competitors.

I may have this all wrong, please correct or disregard as appropriate.

I've always felt that the solution to any problem was to throw more dice at it.

Dice pool mechanics (every individual die has a target number) can mostly get away with being open ended. Bell curve mechanics (all dice added together) have some limits. The tyranny of the bell curve increases beyond game useful levels at some point.

Traveller fits pretty well into StoryTeller mechanics...

http://aramis.hostman.us/trav/WOD_trav.html

Looks interesting. Bookmarked.

I had thought about adding dice to the 'mechanisms' I come up with.

The kids do have understanding math problem issues. My sibling felt that we could use this to get them more interested in math, social interchange, etc. by giving them a game to play.

Since Wanderer is so huge, their characters might not know it was a starship. Not many windows on it, except for observation decks.

Their fae parts of their character could have woke up and have their human bodies walking around the ship. There are huge passenger sections with forests and a few lakes. So those parts might seem like a planet.

I agree that Traveller, pre se, probably wont work with this, but them being in a Traveller universe just might.

I have the Aurora controlling two regions of space. As I've mentioned before on here, I have thought of adding cyberized people into my game universe like those portrayed in Ghost in the Shell.

I do think this is going to take some work... lots of it. But I can start them off slow. Not knowing much about where they are. The 'help desk' on Wanderer is actually robotic and the help desk has had a run in with some Neaderthal passengers who wanted to leave the ship. 'Now, or on ground ? Now, you would die from not breathing...' etc. So the help desk can communicate on a non-technology level... I jsut have to wrap my brain around it.

I've always felt that the solution to any problem was to throw more dice at it.

I'll most likely be adding dice into this as I like dice and have lots of them. Thousands of dice...

I think adding dice in as a decision tree would be good, as these kids are likely goiog to have thier characters do what they would do, not what the character would do.

I have the TSR module for AD&D of a starship landing in a forst/mouintain area includes decision trees on handling advanced technology. But I'll leave out the 'explodes and kills character' parts.

We are basically going to try and get them to think outside their current box of how they deal with things.

'To open door for lunch solve the following equation'.

I'm sure the ship's computer wants to keep the different low technology people separate from those who understand how to operate a starship. Not so much a zoo, but so they don't cause a ship-sized explosion.

One of my gaming friends runs a Changeling game, which I'm in. He does it as urban fantasy.

I'm not completely opposed to a crossover - and if it works for you go for it and enjoy the world of it! - but such would alter a lot of the setting of each.

My sister wants it pure Changling game... I'm not sure it will interest the kids. It may not interest me. We'll see.

Back