• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller...concept album!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beck's

SOC-8
Hi all!

This might be a little bit off-topic, but after buying this piece I would just like to recommend it. The vocals are something one has to get used to, but everybody interested in metal should try and listen into (?) it.

>>The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller (9/10) - USA - 2003
Genre: Power Metal

Label: Dragonheart
Playing time: 46:22
Band-Homepage: The Lord Weird Slough Feg

Tracklist:
1. The Spinward Marches
2. High Passage/Low Passage
3. Asteroid Belts
4. Professor`s Theme
5. Vargr Moon
6. Vargr Theme/Confrontation (Genetic Prophesy)
7. Baltech's Lament
8. Gene-ocide
9. Curse Of Humaniti
10. The Final Gambit
11. The Spinward Marches (Return)
12. Addendum Galactus

Finally it is there, the anxiously awaited new album of the Metal masters with the strange name THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG. Just a short while ago their rare debut has been re-released with bonus material by Miskatonic Foundation and whoops, I have their latest masterpiece. The science fiction cover alone reminds me of BAL-SAGOTH, which is no surprise as it has been made by the same artist that already fulfils his duty for the Britons.

Musically the guys around mastermind Mike Scalzi have not really changed. That is good, because any fears that SLOUGH FEG had in any way turned modern or even more commercial can be easily dispersed. The production is even fatter, no, it is skull splitting and the songs somehow are more to the point. Don't get me wrong, they still sound very obscure and will bulk in the ears of most young Metalheads, but still the new songs go in like a freshly oiled rocket.

Superb riff attacks, galloping drumming and the weird vocals of Scalzi make this album a real highlight. Who then manages to offer us songs of the calibre of "High Passage/Low Passage" or the heart tearing "Baltech's Lament" can be proud. These two songs are absolutely standing out and are the best SLOUGH FEG tracks ever! That we have a concept album here can already be seen on the tracklist.

Hopefully it will also work out with the sales figures, so that the Americans can come over to Europe again. Unfortunately I had missed the last trip of THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG - but with their style they never will get mega sellers - thank God! (Online March 21, 2003)<<

http://www.metal-observer.de/gb/reviews/rev2682.html

http://www.slough-feg.com/pics.html

I'm not much for metal (i.e. don't own a single metal CD), but based on the cover art, song titles, and reviews, I found an MP3 of track 12 and gave it a listen. It's actually musically very good (though maybe a little simple in spots), and the singer isn't just screaming or growling into the mike - my personal peave with some of this genre. The lyrics are understandable, with "The Zhodani Consulate" (though pronounced differently - zo-dan-eye' - from how I say it: zho-dahn'-ee) and "Professor Ricket" (maybe with an "s" at the end) from Adventure 6: Expedition to Zhodane both mentioned among numerous mind control references that imply the end of an open psionic war rather than covert ops.

It's good enough, both in music and content, that I'm now really looking forward to buying the CD. I've found one German source selling it for a bit over $20, but a different, US source should have it available in a few days, so I'll wait to see what their price is. It's something that I and my co-worker (who likes very heavy metal such as Pantera, which I just can't take) will both enjoy listening to during the workday. Thanks for the heads-up, Christopher!

And they are doing it all without a license. Go figure...

file_28.gif

Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back