• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller's Handbook, 2nd printing

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the News page, regarding Traveller's Handbook (2nd printing):

"This huge 464-page rulebook"

What? Mine is only 442, plus a few pages of adverts at the back. Are there 22 pages missing?

My ISBN matches 2nd printing ISBN and contains all errata.

If the pages are correct, shouldn't your advertising for the THB be changed to reflect the correct number of pages?

Hunter & Co., anybody care to comment? (Especially since you've declined to answer my emails...)

[edit: took out the "WtF" because theSea started crying like a little bitch]

:rolleyes: Yes - somebody please mail this guy his missing twenty-two pages before his health starts to suffer.

Wraith - if you start to get chest pains or one side of your body goes numb and your speech starts to slur: call 911 *first* - then your lawyer.

I'm trying to get what I paid for, as well as a response from RPG Realms (since I've been trying for a few days with no answer).

I bought a book advertised at a certain page count. It doesn't have it. I paid $45 for it.

Is my book wrong, or is the advertising wrong? If the book is wrong, I can sent it back to the distributer and get one with the proper page count.

Why am I an a$$hole for asking that? I'm anxious to get an answer because I forked over $45 and I wanna read this bi-otch.

Originally posted by Shane Mclean:
Bizarely my first printing one is 442 too. Curious. Maybe just a page counting error.

Shane
That's what I'm thinking, too. They *DID* include the errata, which I absolutely am THRILLED about. It's just that I was under the impression that there was going to be "new" material added to the 2nd printing that would inflate the page count.

Apparently not.

Well, as theSea has so sarcastically reminded me, 'boo hoo for me'. I suppose I should cut my losses and begin reading the book.

Originally posted by Wraith Form:
Why am I an a$$hole for asking that? I'm anxious to get an answer because I forked over $45 and I wanna read this bi-otch.
Well, in case you are serious about wanting an answer to the above question (and indirectly an answer to your more important question) I'll point out that it is your tone and language. Not a good start to posting here to come in all "wtf" and "a$$hole" and "bi-otch" and spit at theSea for his understandable response. I say understandable since I think he was annoyed by the topic heading content and general tone. We have a generally civilized board here, mature and social in it's nature, not at all like most boards where such language seems to be the accepted norm. Was theSea perhaps a little too quick to take offense? Maybe, but rather than apologize to him, which would have likely reciprocated the same and more sympathy for you, you disrespect him.

Sad to say I'd normally at this point be welcoming you to the boards but I get the feeling you won't be contributing much and doubt I'll be seeing you around or care too if my first impression holds.

p.s. Well just before posting this I notice you have replied to Shane above, and my first impression may be mistaken. Perhaps it's all a case of passion on your part and getting what you gave from theSea, which you then escalated.

I'm trying to get what I paid for, as well as a response from RPG Realms (since I've been trying for a few days with no answer).

I bought a book advertised at a certain page count. It doesn't have it. I paid $45 for it.

Is my book wrong, or is the advertising wrong? If the book is wrong, I can sent it back to the distributer and get one with the proper page count.

Perspective sir, perspective. You're the one who strolled in here all :mad: with "Traveller's Handbook, 2nd printing - WTF?" and "False Advertizing!!" (yes I noticed you took that out too - well done). That is NOT the post of a person looking to find out if his page count is short.

It is certianly not a post that is going to get you any kind of productive response from Hunter or MJD.

All I did was point out to you that there are other, more important things in your life, and maybe you just need to chilly down a little before you give yourself a stroke. If my sarcasm was too subtle for you then I apologize.

I don't recall calling you any names and believe I responded to your rather childish tone quite gently. Trust me Wraith - if I had meant to call you an 'a$$hole' or anything like it, there'd be no doubt in your mind.

Hopefully the pagecount error on the website will get straightened out - but I can assure you that "crying like a little bitch" - as you so aptly put it - is not going to advance your agenda. Next time try asking.

Have a sparkling day,

Originally posted by far-trader:
I think he was annoyed by the topic heading content and general tone. We have a generally civilized board here, mature and social in it's nature, not at all like most boards where such language seems to be the accepted norm. Was theSea perhaps a little too quick to take offense?
Guilty as charged. Apologies to the board at large for overreacting. It's been one of those days.

Thanks Dan, for pointing that out so.... diplomatically.

pax,

--michael

The book is 464 pages. Count them. The pieces of paper with the colored pictures on them are pages too ;)

Hunter

I haven't seen the 2nd printing of the THB, but I know that in the first printing the full-color insert pages weren't numbered, which might up the apparent page count. There weren't 22 full-color pp in the 1st printing so it might not account for all of the missing page-count, but it's a start. I dunno, I'm just throwing out ideas here :confused:

So this was your reasoning for going over to ENWorld and accusing me of false advertising?

Yeah I am rather annoyed about that. You emailed me about this on the 27th. A whole two days ago. So rather than wait for a response (which I sent today, before I saw these posts), you instead decide to go about to various forums and accuse me of fraud? Gee thanks...

Hunter

I've just counted them and, including the adverts in the back, the first printing and the second have 464 pages without a shadow of a doubt

Originally posted by theSea:
Perspective sir, perspective.
I'll see your quote and raise you a "Coffee, sir, coffee." Now that I've had some, paradoxically I now feel less distressed. But more to the point...

...Yep, I strolled in, all swaggering and bravado, with chip planted firmly on shoulder. Yep, I was obnoxious. Yep, it was *calculated*. (--Mostly. I didn't intend to come off quite so bitchy the first time around.)

I was trying to get some attention, because I felt I was being ignored (by RPG Realms, specifically) and I felt I needed to act quickly so that--if returning THB was appropriate--I could do so before the retailer got huffy. My blunt and off-color post stirred up the pot and got some feathers ruffled, and lo--within a few short hours--I received a reply. (In fact, Hunter emailed me personally. Thank you, Big H. [If I can call you that.])

I do apologize to theSea, the board in general, and to Hunter & RPG Realms for being...caustic. I admit I was rude, and it was uncalled for. Patience is *not* one of my known qualities.

I now have an answer to my "464 page" bug, which no longer lives up my a$$. I...I...well, quite frankly, I never even considered the glossy pics as pages. I'm not an idiot, I just totally boned on that one. (At the time I also hadn't looked through the book too extensively because I was concerned that if I bent the spine, the retailer might not take it back...so I didn't even see the glossies.)

I do appreciate that RPG Realms took the time to add the errata to the 2nd printing. Thank you--I can think of a few publishers that would take *much longer* to add the corrections, if they even bothered at all...or they'd slap a "x.5" logo on it and re-charge everyone for the same crap all over again. (*coughWotC*cough*)

Now I have a shiny new Traveller's Handbook that is as up-to-date as it can be, and I can pop it open and pour lovingly over every page and get all sorts of rat-bastardly DM ideas from it to entertain (and hopefully annoy) my players with!

Again, I apologize. [And Hunter, I'll go over to EN World and take care of business.]

Again, I apologize. [And Hunter, I'll go over to EN World and take care of business.]
Thanks! I really appreciate that!

Hunter

Everybody's happy again

I figured it was maybe a small part panic, and wondered if maybe it was a small part dramatics for quick attention ;)

hehe It did work, this time, but at what cost :confused: I've noted that Hunter and co can be a little slow on email but they will come through with patience and persistance (well, I believe so, but that reminds me I need to send a reminder since it's been a month since my last inquiry, wow time flies)

Anyway, a slightly belated but heartfelt unofficial welcome aboard Wraith Form :D Have fun with your new book.

I'm closing this down since the issue was resolved. Like I said via email Wraith, no harm, no foul. Hope you enjoy the book and welcome to the boards!

Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back