• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

OTU Only: Vargr Sub-species Coloration

The Pakkrat

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award
At every Vargr character generation, I ask what does that Vargr look like? We know the Vargr are wolf-like, somehow uplifted by the Ancients and then left to evolve over the past 300,000 years to 1105 and on. I have seen references to naming Vargr sub-species by their pelt coloration. But we have only translations for Gvegh and Aekhu, 'tawny' and 'black' respectively. We later see the Suedzuk referred to as "red pelts" or "blood wolves". Much later in MegaTraveller, we find the Irilitok described as bred for their cuteness to the disgust of the Ovaghoun who look down upon them and in turn are hated by the Suedzuk for (laying with the flat-faces), but I digress. Descriptions of average height and mass are given to a few that are outside the norms, e.g. Urzaeng and Kokasha. And still one more: the Akumgeda have distinctive spots on their pelts.
This got me thinking. So, here I break down what can generally be expected pelt colorations for each Vargr sub-species (or ethnicity for those with delicate hearts).

Aekhu - aek means black and so the Aekhu of Deneb Sector are generally black, ash or dark arctic (a dark silver wolf) in pelt. I see them with dark blue, alert eyes. This ethnicity was pushed into Deneb during the Vargr Campaigns and rediscovered there and parts spinward.

Gvegh - translates from the Gvegh language as tawny. We see a very wide range of tawny beige, brown, even orange-brown Vargr here with a wide spectrum of eye colors.

Logasku - IMTU, I see the Logaksu as the brown wolf, two-toned with lighter ventral coloration, becoming orange-brown where they overlap sectors or subsectors with the Gvegh. Their eyes are brown and sometimes feature red.

Urzaeng - This one is easy. The largest, bulkiest, most primal and dire sub-species of Vargr are naturally the gray wolf, timber wolf in coloration and may feature hints of Siberian huskie. Their eyes are light or sky blue and they always have a Resting Predator Face.

Ovaghoun - Meshan, and Antares Sectors produce a proud, supremist sub-species of timber wolf, Siberian huskie with patches resembling the German Shepherd though they retain full wolf genotype.

Suedzuk - an easy to spot "red pelt" an any crowd, the Suedzuk are feared and hated for the Sack of Gashikan. Their pelts are a range of red wolf, ruddy, blood and can be dark or vibrant red depending on where in the Vargr Enclaves they are found. Their eyes can be green, amber, brown, hazel, but almost never blue.

Irilitok - bred for Humaniti preferences, the enslaved Irilitok have recently been freed by the Menderes Corporation. Featuring Siberian huskie, black, arctic, tundra colorations based on homeworld, the Irilitok have larger, expressive eyes, attractive tails (a recent trend is tail docking by rebellious youth), bushy manes and thick neck ruffs.

Kokasha - the cloistered, surrounded and diminutive Kokasha appear similar to the Mexican wolf, small, sleek and very cunning. Their eyes are brown to amber.

Akumgeda- the second most powerful psionic sub-species, the Akumgeda are distinctive in that they are the only Vargr to feature spots on their pelts which breed true despite their re-Contact with the Gvegh and Logaksu. They have yellow, golden or amber eyes which can darken to brown. Humans liken them to hyenas but the comparison is unfair since they are still of the wolf genotype.

Nakagun - most akin to the Himalayan wolf, very little is known about this psionic phenotype of Vargr in Listanaya Sector.

Roth Thokken - born blind and the most psionic at birth, the Roth Thokken of Angfutsag Sector (and surroundings) are a distinctive Iberian or Indian wolf in coloration. Their eyes are milky white and dysfunctional. If one can get past their odd dress, unkempt appearance and fetishistic trinkets and talismans, the Roth begin to share some red-brown with their Suedzuk neighbors.

Tundra and Arctic colorations - any Vargr sub-species can feature Tundra, Arctic and even Silver wolf coloration, especially in polar, Cold (Co), Tundra (Tu) world environments.

Piebald coloration - overlapping regions featuring more than one Vargr sub-species can develop piebald pelts, often downtrodden as mixed blood or 'mutts'. Cubs of this pattern can be teased for being 'muddy' or 'puzzle' Vargr.

There are no true 'mutts' of indeterminable heritage in the Vargr In My Traveller Universe. We have read references that Ovaghoun can smell an Irilitok at conversation distance. The territoriality of the Urzaeng keeps them from double-occupying a starship stateroom. And who would want to interbreed with the hated and paranoid Suedzuk, to say nothing of the ostracized psionic varieties?

I hope this helps Traveller fans to envision the general appearance of the Vargr partitioned by their sub-species such that there is no 'Standard' Vargr. This rich variation should be exercised just as we Humans exercise our human variation.

From the sub-species archives on Lair, this is the Pakkrat.

Are there any size variations in your Universe with the Vargr, or just color variations? Given the wide range in sizes of dogs, I would think that you would get some size variation among the wide range of planets.

Measuring Up

Most of the sub-species of Vargr fall within the ranges provided to the Gvegh sub-species (or again ethnicity).

Urzaeng are the largest by far, having been compared to holding their own against a male Aslan.

Kokasha are the smallest and most corralled by Yileans and other Humaniti just coreward of the Third Empire of Gashikan.

We see pictured in CT Alien Module 3: Vargr a Vargr who is the same height as an Imperial Human. In MgT2e Core Rules, we find pictured both male and female Vargr are significantly shorter than an Imperial Human. In T5.10, we see again that the 'standard' Vargr is shorter than an Imperial Human though it takes a wider stance and a "relaxed stance". Were a Vargr to stand fully erect, reaching with its digitigrade stance, back, neck and head, most will come to equal a Human height. The exception to this again is the Urzaeng and the Kokasha.

The 'standard' Vargr has been repeatedly written by canon writers and fan writers as shorter than Humans, when almost all of them have forgotten that first image comparison in Classic Traveller AM3:Vargr. And it has only gone downhill save for the Urzaeng.

Their mass can vary from 'standard' quite a bit. A Vargr who has both high Strength and Endurance might be a bulky specimen with a wide stance and look stocky.

Your mileage may vary, but that is how I have come to see the Vargr after collating all the various Editions.

Lost in a Net Hiccup: The description in MT Vilani and Vargr - The Coreward Races of Lair / Grnouf (Provence 2402) says that there are still specimens of all the sub-species (again ethnicities), even the ostracized ones. To me, this allows the player to generate a member of that sub-species without having to pull one from the far-flung reaches of Charted Space. A Nakagun could come from Lair rather than Listanaya Sector. A Kokasha might be from a family on Lair, a descendant from before the Sack of Gashikan. A Suedzuk Pack may hail from Lair rather than the Vargr Enclaves. Of course the presence of Logaksu and Urzaeng on Lair are a given since those two ethnicities meet in Provence Sector.

Last edited:
Are there any size variations in your Universe with the Vargr, or just color variations? Given the wide range in sizes of dogs, I would think that you would get some size variation among the wide range of planets.

Dog sizes are based on selective breeding, not natural distribution. As I understand, most modern breeds are less than 150 years old, with breeders and trainers thumbs distinctly on the scales.

Clearly that suggests that perhaps different isolated populations could have favored a particular trait over another, thus reinforcing that trait, but it's hard to imagine that done in an intelligent species to offer such a gross variety as we see in dogs today.

They're pack orientated, not necessarily tribalistic.

They should be inclined to mate outside of the pack, for obvious reasons, which could include marriages of convenience, which might create a wide variety within a sub species.

They might be genetically inclined to be pack oriented, but they are a sophant species with a culture (or more properly, many cultures) so it is very conceivable that some might be very tribalistic.

Back