• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Variant Low Berth rules for CT

Golan2072

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award
Marquis
Classic Traveller's Low Berth rules make cold-sleep dangerous: upon reviving a Low Passenger, you roll 2d6 (+1 if a Medic is present, -1 if the passenger has Endurance 6-); on a roll of 5 or less, the passenger dies from Low Berth malfunction. This fits a low-tech, interstellar mass-colonization milieu well - with huge ships packed with cold-sleeping colonists, hoping to reach the stars, some of whom will never live to see their destination. Under these conditions, the desperate will risk certain death (a 16.7% death rate even with a medic present) in hope of leaving an overcrowded, polluted Earth for a better job amongst the stars. However, in a higher-tech setting, it makes less sense to have such a risky way of passage aboard a commercial starliner, even if (as in Classic Traveller) no liability or refund is allowed for by law. At least in the big star-lines, that is.

So what I have in mind is a variant rule for Low Berths under CT rules. At Tech Levels 8-10, low berths function JUST AS UNDER THE CLASSIC TRAVELLER RULES. At TL11+, however, they are much safer. If one follows the standard procedure, that is.

Properly preparing a passenger for Low Passage takes 1d6 hours and requires the presence of a Medic (Medicine-1 or better skill). One Medic may simultaneously work on up to 20 Low Berths. When this procedure is used, revival occurs at no DM.

It is also possible, in the absence of a Medic, or when time is pressing, to initiate Emergency Low Sleep. This takes 1 minute (4 combat rounds) to complete, and may be initiated either by outside controls, or by an override switch within the Low Berth itself. The downside of this is that revival, either using the standard procedure or emergency revival (both described below), is at a -2 DM.

Standard Revival takes 1d6x10 minutes and requires a roll 2d6, +1 DM if a Medic is present (again, up to 20 passengers per Medic), -1 DM if the passenger has Endurance 6-. A roll of 5+ is required for successful revival. Failure does not indicate death, however, but rather 3D6 wounds, taken under the First Blood rule (i.e. all from the same characteristic and may overflow to other characteristics). These are treated as any wounds. So a healthy character (with a sum of the physical characteristics of 18 or more) will never die from cryo-shock, though a sickly or wounded character would be at a much greater risk.

Emergency Revival is also possible.This takes 1d6 minutes and can either be triggered by the Low Berth's controls or activated automatically in case of power failure. This uses the procedure outlined in the Classic Traveller books, including the risk of death, BUT does not allow for the +1 DM for the presence of a medic. Note that emergency revival following emergency low sleep is HIGHLY DANGEROUS, and has a 58.3% risk of death (!). The human body should not be handled so roughly!

if they were hazardous then no-one would use them. I just say they all work pretty good and leave it at that. maybe the occasional malfunction if improperly operated, just like any other kind of machinery.

Mongoose CT rules make it a medic check with the END of the passenger as the modifier:

"Low Passage: A low passenger is frozen in a cryoberth and carried
as cargo. There is some danger to the passenger – a Medic check
is required upon opening the capsule, applying the passenger’s
Endurance DM to the check
. If failed, the passenger does not survive."

So, END 5 has a -1 DM
A Medic-3 (actual doctor) makes the check (and in the MgT CT all checks are 8+) with a DM of +3-1=+2. So if a 5 or less is rolled the passenger dies.

This danger level is too high. A medic 0 with an END of 6-8 has to roll an 8+ on two dice, which means the passenger has a 42% chance to live. Those aren't good odds and I doubt even the truly desperate would take them.

if they were hazardous then no-one would use them. I just say they all work pretty good and leave it at that. maybe the occasional malfunction if improperly operated, just like any other kind of machinery.
Maybe at TL11+ make them completely safe as long as the standard procedure is used... But on the other hand it dies make them VERY preferable to other types of passage, as this is cheap and reduces aging. The element of risk is part of Low Passage is also part of the Traveller flavour...

The element of risk is part of Low Passage is also part of the Traveller flavour...
You mean Classic Traveller flavour, right? Because the element of major risk was reduced from the time MT was published. And the Low Lottery has been profoundly unbelievable to me from the earliest CT days (OK, so your low berths are unsafe. Are you going to ADVERTISE that fact?!?)

My version of low berths are pretty much as safe as described in GT (potentially lethal only if used without a competent med-tech to supervise), but with (low) risks of producing non-lethal, but still very unpleasant side effects (known as "Low Berth Syndrome") that can take weeks or months to go away and sometimes become permanent -- especially if you take a second low berth trip before the first aches clear up.

EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked the 'CT only' tag. I've edited the post a bit. The second paragraph isn't CT at all, since I use my own house rules for my Traveller campaigns, but if I were ever to run a CT campaign, that's how I would nevertheless change the low berth rules to work. ;)

Hans

Last edited:
Maybe at TL11+ make them completely safe as long as the standard procedure is used... But on the other hand it dies make them VERY preferable to other types of passage, as this is cheap and reduces aging. The element of risk is part of Low Passage is also part of the Traveller flavour...
Interesting, yes, if the risk is low enough then low berth travel would likely become the norm and there would be minimal need for passenger staterooms. Other than skeletal crew, might as well put the rest of the crew in low berths during jump. Lower life support costs.

As with other game mechanics, it's an imperfect system to encourage action, adventure, and role playing.

Low berth and the low lottery are a direct port from the Dumarest books.

In those the reason people died in them was they were designed for transporting livestock, not humans.

I agree with Hans that the low lottery in a 3rd Imperium setting is a bit difficult to accept.

During the long night, during hard times, even the TNE setting I could just about see ethically challenged merchants offering the service.

IMTU low berth are perfectly safe within the Imperium and all major governmental zones of influence, otherwise you can't have a frozen watch.

Sorry on my reference to MgT, I also missed the CT only.

The rule per LBB2 is:
"Throw 5+ for each passenger, when he is revived after the ship has landed. DMs: Attending medic of expertise of 2 or better, +1; low passenger with an endurance of 6 or less, -1. Failure to achieve the throw to revive results in death for the passenger."

So, if you're END 7+ with a Medic-2+ on board then you survive on a roll of 4+, which is far better odds than in MgT. That's a 91.66% chance of survival.

It's more acceptable than the MgT version.

Even if you've got a low END with no medic on board your chance is 6+, or 72.22% of survival.

So, you have an expected 92% chance to live if you're healthy, a 83% if you're not.

Take today flying your odds of dying are 11 million to 1.

When I used to run CT only games back in the day (we're talking 80s,90s) I didn't make them roll if there was a doctor (medic-3+) present. They only had to roll if one wasn't there. Made it worth-while for a ship to have a doctor on board and not just a medic.

Have I woken up somewhere other than I was expecting, yes, much like the unfortunate passengers diverted to become guinea pigs on the USM Auriga in Alien 4. That to me is the danger in low berth sleep, not being in control, relying on the ship to be powered up and guarded.

I would agree with the OP, TL would reflect the level of danger/mishap and over a certain TL, it would be unheard of. At this point, simply throw in variables like "The crew of The Betty" (Alien 4).

It's rather like an action RPG player being killed due to limitations of the game engine, it punishes the player despite giving it his best effort. I wouldn't create fatal events, but events which require dealing with or remedial action.

The price of a mid passage and low passage should indicate the worth. The worth of the journey should be related in that price, therefore there should be good reasons to take mid-passage over low passage, e.g. piracy, corruption, "accidents" etc.

Emergency low berth of course is a completely different matter.

When I used to run CT only games back in the day (we're talking 80s,90s) I didn't make them roll if there was a doctor (medic-3+) present. They only had to roll if one wasn't there. Made it worth-while for a ship to have a doctor on board and not just a medic.
This might be a good part of the solution. Thank you very much. Real liners (and bigger military ships with a Frozen Watch) have a Doctor onboard, tramp freighters do not.

Or just eliminate the death risk for "standard procedure" freezing, but add "social risks" as outlined by Shadowrunner above, as well as risks of emergency procedures (and an Emergency low Berth always uses the emergency procedures - i.e. baseline CT cryo-survival rules).

Or just eliminate the death risk for "standard procedure" freezing, but add "social risks" as outlined by Shadowrunner above, as well as risks of emergency procedures (and an Emergency low Berth always uses the emergency procedures - i.e. baseline CT cryo-survival rules).

I think for me the kicker was -- an established ship that's part of a line follows the standard rules and has a doctor on board. A free trader may or may not, so risks will exist.

The element of risk is fine, it is the consequences that are out of proportion. What if, instead of dying, the passenger falls prey to FTS (Freeze-Thaw-Shock) with a temporary reduction of DEX and INT by 1 for each point the survival roll was failed.

The shock is temporary and the patient can recover 1 point per day with rest and care (maybe requiring an END roll each day to recover the point(s).

So passengers will still risk low passage because you can expect to make it to your destination reasonably okay - and it is a little less morbid to bet on how many people are going to get the shakes.

Also, it allows player characters to book cheap passage at the risk of being down a few points during the next adventure but not risking being killed off in transit with a bad dice roll.

Give endurance 8+ a positive DM also and a DM+1 per each rank of medic skill and make it the law that only ships with a medic-2 and passengers who have passed a recent medical test with results equivalent to end 8+ results can be lawfully transported that way i.e. make the DMs add up to a 2+ survival roll if all the legal conditions are met.

Of course traders off the main routes might not follow the law.

Back