• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Worldbuilding: Day, Year, and Temperature

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
One of the things I need is a way to get a feel for the weather on a world. Here are some loose approximations I use to help with that -- and note that I'm continually revising these rules to be easier or more precise, in turns, based on my mood.

0. Flux. For any given value, I may introduce Flux, for example as a percentage change. So for example, if a value is 360, I may instead calculate 360 + Flux% (resulting in 342 to 378). If a value is 0.4, I may instead calculate 0.4 + Flux% (resulting in 0.38 to 0.42). Some values might vary by Flux x 10% -- orbit numbers, for example.

1. World Data. Determine more facts about the world.

Density: Unless otherwise convinced, assume a density of 1. Metallic cores are denser (1.3 to 2).

Albedo ("A") depends on continents, hydrographics, and trade codes. I typically begin with A = [1 - Hydrographics/10], minimum 0.1. I then modify it based on trade codes: for each of Ag, In, Ri, multiply A by 0.9. For each of De, Ic, Na, Ni, Po, multiply A by 1.1. If the [world size + atmosphere] is 9 or less, multiply Albedo by 1.1. Then modify by Flux%. Maximum Albedo is 0.9, and minimum Albedo is 0.1.

Greenhouse Effect ("G") depends on atmosphere, hydrographics, and trade codes, but is otherwise a random value between 0.0 and 2... or even higher. I usually set G = [Atmosphere + Hydrographics]/10, then modify it further, based on trade codes: for each of Ag, In, multiply G by 1.1. For each of De, Ic, multiply G by 0.9. Then modify by Flux%.

Atmospheric Pressure ("Pressure") lessens day-night temperature variations. I typically set Pressure = [Atmosphere / 8] + Flux%.

Planetary Eccentricity ("Ecc") varies the world orbit, which in turn affects temperatures and weather. I typically assign eccentricity equal to [Flux x Flux]%.

Axial Tilt ("Tilt") creates a latitudinal temperature variation, starting from the poles. More importantly, the size of the axial tilt directly affects atmospheric turbulence and weather patterns. I typically assign tilt equal to [5 x 2D] + [Flux x 2] degrees.

2. Orbital Data. Now's the time to gather orbital data. We need three pieces: first, the Habitable Zone (HZ) Orbit. Happily, the star's class maps relatively cleanly to the habitable zone's orbit. So, figure out the HZ Orbit, based on the primary, using my handy dandy table. Note: HZ Orbit is a proxy for stellar mass (divided by a large constant), and therefore becomes useful when calculating world surface temperature.

I label this "HZ Orbit", in AU.

Next, determine and record the mainworld's orbit. This might or might not be the same as the HZ Orbit -- note that most mainworlds in the Traveller Universe tend to be close to the HZ Orbit, regardless of its suitability for human life. If the world has a breathable standard atmosphere, or is a Ga or Ag world, it's likely in the HZ Orbit. If it's a vacuum world, it might be anywhere. You get the idea.

I label this "World Orbit", in AU.

Finally, determine the mainworld Temperature Mod. It's used for calculating world surface temperatures. Note: "Temperature Mod" is a value used to replace formulas requring Luminosity, with the approximate value being 333 / sqrt( Orbit ), where Orbit is a proxy for stellar mass (divided by a large constant), as above.

I label this "Temperature Mod".

Rob's Handy Dandy Multipurpose Star Table
Code:
Orbit    AU     Year   Temperature Mod      Habitable Zone Star
  1      0.4    58d        500                 M V
  2      0.7    178d       400                 K V
  3      1.0    365d       330                 G V
  4      1.6    935d       250                 F V
  5      2.8    7y         200                 A V
  6      5.2    27y        160
  7      10     100y       100                 Some Giants
  8      20     400y       70                  *Most Giants*
  9      40     1600y      50                  Some Giants
  10     77     5900y      40                  Few Giants
  11     154    24ky       30                  Few Giants
  12     308    95ky       20                  Few Giants
  13     615    378ky      15                  Few Giants
  14     1230   1.5my      10                  Few Giants
  15     2500   6my        5                   Few Giants

"Giants" includes I, I, III, and even IV. To determine the HZ Orbit for a giant, roll 2D. The result is the HZ Orbit number. If the result is less than 7, then set the result to 8. Values greater than 12 are by referee fiat.

3. Day and Year Length. Now we can figure these out.

Year length (years) = (World Orbit)^2. Default year lengths are pre-computed in my handy dandy table.
Day length (hours) = 2d6 x 4 - 3 + HZ Orbit / World Orbit.

Day Length Modification. If Density is other than earthlike, multiply it in as well.

Year Modification. I modify the year length due to the sub-magnitude of the star, but at the moment I haven't got a clever-but-simple rule for handling that.

4. Temperatures

Now I'm ready to figure out details that pertain to the weather.

Blackbody Temp (K) = Tbb = (HZ Orbit) x (1-A) x Temperature Mod.
Average Temp = Tavg = Tbb x G - 273, in Celsius. See Note 5.
Hadley Latitude = sqrt( Tbb x World Size ) x 2.6. See Note 6.

Note 5. This number, of course, indicates what the tropics are like -- hot or cold. If cold, then we know we have a Tundric world on our hands. It super hot, then we may have a Hellworld, or worse.

Note 6. The Hadley Cell lessens the day-night temperature variation, and also tells us the width of the temperature bands.. The result is in degrees, and typically should be less than 90. This cell also has a random element and additional considerations, but this is one of the important values. The larger the number, the wider the tropics extend outward, and so on. A Hadley Cell of 90 degrees means the average temperature is the average for both day and night, and all over the world, including the poles.

If you are using Planetary Eccentricity, you will have two additional Blackbody Temperatures -- one for the extreme summer season (multiply by [1 + Eccentricity]), and one for the extreme winter season (multiply by [1 - Eccentricity]).

If you're using Pressure, you'll have to wait, because I don't have a properly bastardized rule for that yet.

Axial Tilt was already calculated directly in degrees Celsius, and represents latitudinal temperature variation. The greater the value, the further down from the poles (in degrees of latitude) this variation is felt.

Last edited:
Example 1: Akhrukhallar

Code:
Akhrukhallar   1030 Tuglikki C232231-A  -  He Lo Po      604 Va F4 IV M5 V

An unpleasant world in the Tuglikki sector.

1. World Data

Density. I note that its atmosphere and hydrographics are both pathetic, so there's no reason to increase its density: let's therefore assume it has a density of 1.

Albedo. Due to its lack of surface water, I would give it a bit higher Albedo than Earth. Let's say 0.6. Thus, (1 - A) is 0.4.

Greenhouse Effect. I can't see much of that due to the thin atmosphere. So I'll give it 0.5. For now.

2. Orbital Data

HZ Orbit. The trade codes identify it as a Hellworld. Orbiting a F4 IV subgiant, I roll 2D to determine HZ Orbit ... and I roll a 4, which automagically gets promoted to an 8, which is Orbit 8, at 20 AU.

World Orbit. As a Hellworld, let's push the World Orbit into Orbit 7 and 10 AU, plus a flux of -1%, for 9.9 AU.

Temperature Mod. The temperature mod for a world in Orbit 7 is 100.

3. Day and Year Length

Year length (years) = 9.9 squared, or 98 years.

Day length (hours) = (2d6 x 4 - 3 + HZ orbit / world orbit). Assuming the average (2D=7), day length is 28 - 3 + 20/10 = 26 hours.

4. Temperature

Blackbody Temp (Tbb) = (HZ Orbit) x (1-A) x Temp Mod = 20 x 0.4 x 100 = 800 K.
Average Temp (Tavg) = Tbb x G - 273 = 800 x 0.5 - 273 = 127 C.

Note. As with all world-building formulas, fine tuning is always needed for sanity. 127 C is beyond the boiling point of water, so it doesn't quite make sense. This only means that A might increase, and G might decrease. Probably a little of both. No big deal.

Hadley Latitude = sqrt( Tbb x World Size ) x 2.6 = sqrt(127 x 2) x 2.6 = 42. The poles are less horrible than the rest of the world, and where the starport is likely to be.

Last edited:
I use a mixture of WBH and First In to detail star systems. One of the things I use FI for is its flexible orbits. I really dislike the fixed orbits of other Traveller versions. I like being able to move my worlds in and out until they fit the temperature I'm aiming for (assisted by fiddling with albedo and greenhouse effect, of course). This is especially handy for developing systems with two habitable worlds (or even three, although that is hard to achieve).

Hans

Example 2: Ozgang

Code:
0128 Ogzang  C459354-8 N  Lo    501 K4 V    Planet [0]

In the notation above, the term Planet[0] means the world is a planet within the habitable zone of its primary.

Ozgang is a Mars-sized world in the habitable zone of a K4 V star. It has a standard, naturally tainted atmosphere, and lots of water. It has a very low TL8 population: this world is not a pleasant one.

World Data

Density. Low population, small size, and standard atmosphere hints at a somewhat stripped, metallic world. I'll set density at 1.1.

Albedo. The high hydrographic percentage hints at a low albedo. I'll set it at 0.2.

Greenhouse Effect. The relative thickness of the atmosphere may support a decent greenhouse effect. I'll set it at 1.2 for now.

Orbital Data

Looking at my handy dandy chart...

The HZ Orbit for an K V star is 2, or 0.7 AU.

The World Orbit is identified as the HZ Orbit, or 2.

The Temperature Mod is 400.

Temperatures

Blackbody Temp = HZ Orbit x (1-A) x Temperature Mod = 0.7 x 0.8 x 400 = 224 K.
Average Temp = Tbb x G - 273 = 224 x 1.2 - 273 = -4.2 C.
Hadley Latitude = sqrt( Tbb x World Size ) x 2.6 = sqrt(224 x 4) x 2.6 = 78 degrees.

The average temperature for this world is cold, and the tropics reach nearly to the arctic regions: there is not much temperature variation.

Back