• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your life as a Traveller Character

Drew

SOC-12
Has anyone considered yourself as a Traveller (any of the versions) character? What would be the baseline to start? My opinion is that everyone would start out as a character with 7,7,7,7,7,7 -? profile. Since the start of the Traveller universe everyone now has as a minimum of a computer skill level of 0 for example. There are certain items for a military (Mercenary from Book 4) that need to be updated. For example, the skill of Tactics would need to be added/updated upon the successful completion of a military school (a Basic Course, Advance Course, PME, Command & General Staff College and War College (branch specific). The advance courses like the Industrial College of the Armed Forces for example results in increases in one's social standing, administration etc... The NCO ranks would have a similar structure and include an administrative. The skill of leadership would start at the E5 level (squad, platoon sergeant, first shirt, sergeant major) and the comparable officer level Lieutenant, Captain, Battalion Command and up (but only if you held that post).

Thoughts?

Look at this old thread for similar discussion. ITTR there was at least another one, but I'm unable to find it right now...

In any case, it's not easy to evaluate onself, nor to give skills equivalence from real life...

Based on what I saw here is mine (old man here)

1 Term Marine
Combat Rifle - 0300
7 Terms Army - Infantry (11B/11C/11D)
Combat Rifle - 2
Recon 1 (Ranger School)
Heavy Weapons - 2 (Infantry Mortar Platoon School and Platoon Leader) and TOW School
Forward Observer - 1
Wheeled/Track - 1
Computer - 4 (developed and fielded multiple computer programs for the Army to include a software patent)
Instructor - 1 (APMS)
Recruiting -1
Tactics - 4 (Basic Course, Advance Course, CAS3, C&GSC graduate)
Leadership - 3 (Platoon, Company and Battalion Commander)
Admin - 4 (8 years at the Pentagon or would it be Deception 4/Persuasion 4)
Bureaucracy/Admin - 2 - DCSLOG (90A/45A)
2 Terms as either a technician or a Bureaucrat as a Military Contractor
2 Terms Law Enforcement (ATF)
Admin -1
Computer - 1
1/4 Term Instructor (Naval Post Graduate School
History -2 (Masters with Honors in History

Overall it would be:

424BF7 - Traveller Rank of 6

Military Skills-3 (Sergeant, in the infantry)
Admin-2 (Sergeant, Supervisor, and Lead man. Got fired from supervisory position minus 1)
Weapons Combat-2 (No Combat XP but would survive at Zombie horde)
Military Weapons-4 (Fired every weapon at squad level except: M3 Machinegun and .45 caliber Pistol)
Civilian Weapons-3 (Nuff said, minus 1 have been target practicing in a while.)
Jack of all Trades -4 (Pretty good with my hands, and quite the ability to learn.)
Mechanic Skill-4 (work on cars, welder, built hydraulic cylinders, designed test equipment and work stations, assemble Ikea furniture without instructions.)
Logistics-1 (Pulled parts and kept track of inventory.)
Military/Tracked Vehicles -5 (Damn good track diver!)
Civilian Vehicle-3 (Street Legal Vehicles)
Diplomatic/Liaison -2 (Married the same woman twice. Made the second one work.)
Artist-5 (You guys seem to like my work.)
Author -3 (Bunches of stories on the old hard drive.)

I believe that's 10 terms (4 year each) and I turn 60 this year.
AND YES, I bragging :sneaky:

Here's another old thread on this:

Failed enlistment in the Army
2 terms college (one failed)
1 term office work
4 terms educator.
1 term driver/shopper
in a term of disability.

Note: Acquired TBI's in each term of educator... which exacerbated work stresses and accidents to PTSD and exacerbated the bipolar which got me shoved out of the army. (The TBIs were all in car accidents save the post-car-accident in the tub due to maintenance man failing to repair the shower properly.

This used to pop up a lot on the GURPS forums. That system is point-buy, with normal people being 0-50 points, superheroes 250+, etc. A remarkable number of people nobody had ever heard of turned out to be superheroes. :)

This used to pop up a lot on the GURPS forums. That system is point-buy, with normal people being 0-50 points, superheroes 250+, etc. A remarkable number of people nobody had ever heard of turned out to be superheroes. :)
Used GURPS one time to work out point scores for a few friends in my gaming circle.

I wound up being a 200 point character (all attributes and advantages, few skills that GURPS recognized will do that).

An EE friend who builds sonars for the navy wound up under 50 character points because of all his disadvantages such as poor vision, hearing impairment, etc.).

Yet another friend wound up costing -1 character points(!), so we decided that his girlfriend at the time could put him on her character sheet as a Quirk! :ROFLMAO:

Under CT, I'm clearly a 6-term "other."
Probably with a low SOC and a few different skills.
Under MGT, a couple of terms of Drifter followed by Citizen.

And when I found Traveller at 1 term, I never considered being 6 terms!

Hmmm...
11 terms.
STR: Dodgy
DEX:Average
END: Dodgy - probably 1-2 these days - those ageing rolls add up!
INT:Might be biased
EDU:>=9
SOC: Probably 8

Skills: Hard to tell. 11 levels from terms seems a bit mad. Mostly Computers+4 and Admin+4 and Advocate+1. Animals+0 (Reluctantly). Art+0. Diplomat+1, Drive+0, Engineering(Naval Architecture)+0, J-o-T+1, Leadership+1 from running various teams despite the management. Medic+0. Science(Economics,History,Geography,Physics)+1, Seafarer+0, Survival+0, Tactics+0.

The mustering out benefits are definitely out of kilter with real life. I'm definitely not the part owner of a starship and own neither armour nor weapons.

Events: Bombed Twice, Family Tragedies and Triumphs, Training, Legal Fun & Games, and various terms of not much. Plenty of contacts, one rival!

And the odds of going travelling seem small.

SOC rolls yield a lot of people with SOC 9+ despite they're being just 10% or less the population.
In the UK, about 40%+ of the younger generation would now count as EDU 9+. (Degree)
And the ratio of cash to SOC seems far to linear. All those assets that the high-SOC enjoy are definitely under represented.

Here's another old thread on this:

That is the one that I can remember posting in.

Back