• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Asteroid Mining

Is there a walk through for the process of asteroid mining?

Do drones need constant babysitting?
Or do drones mine on their own? (automated).
How many drones can one person control during a duty shift?
When using the laser drill, how do you get the ore into the ship?
Do asteroid miners sell ore or do they the refined product?
If they sell the refined product, how do they refine it?
Can you mine a small planetoid, then sell the thing as a planetoid hull?

There's one in Xboat No. 2 (shameless plug).

There's also the original in JTAS (issue #3? It's also in Best of JTAS #1).

Both essentially resolve the game at the level of play, rather than going into technical details. But some of your questions are actually great referee plot hooks in disguise.

1. Not that I can recall.

2. Either by a geologist, and/or experienced miner, or equivalent supervising programme.

3. That's the assumption.

4. You probably can rotate through quite a number, but it may come down to virtual crewing and bandwidth.

5. One assumes it's a bit more complex than just lasering in a hole in the rockface, which either loosens the surrounding rock, or gets melted into slag, which would be picked up by the drones.

6. Probably depends on whether they have the facilities, since refined should get a better overall price, and you transport a lot more expensive material per tonne, than just the raw material.

7. Install the abstracted manufacturing equipment.

8. Yes, but you need to locate an interested party.

9. Firmpointed laser drill - yes, at seventy five percent energy usage; downside, only one laser drill per firmpoint, compared to three laser drills on one hardpoint.

Is there a walk through for the process of asteroid mining?

Do drones need constant babysitting?
Or do drones mine on their own? (automated).
How many drones can one person control during a duty shift?
When using the laser drill, how do you get the ore into the ship?
Do asteroid miners sell ore or do they the refined product?
If they sell the refined product, how do they refine it?
Can you mine a small planetoid, then sell the thing as a planetoid hull?

I haven't read any of the references, so I'm making stuff up. But this is my take.

Asteroid mining is not some guy in a vacc suit anchored to an asteroid with a laser, cart, and a shovel.

Rather, it's someone managing machines (drones?) that do the mining.

There's clearly a limit as to how many machines a single person can manage, but the trope of a "lone miner" should be viable.

This can manifest by the machines breaking down, so while you could have a 100 drones out their mining for you, their natural failure rate (for assorted reasons such as asteroid mining flat out being dangerous which is why we have drones do the work in the first place), you would likely have more drones out of service than not. The trick is reaching a point of equilibrium where you don't have a bunch of down drones stacked up waiting for maintenance and not producing, as this is what the miner spends most of their time doing -- managing and maintaining drones.

Managing also consists of monitoring and assaying ore to make sure you're still getting actual rich ore instead of gravel, the drones don't know the difference. You tell them to dig, and they go "yipyipyip" and off their merry way. They'd mine sand if you told them to.

So, in the end, there's simply jsut so many drones a miner can manage and maintain. As TL rises, this count can rise (as the the drones get more reliable, the drones require less management, etc.)

The miners produce raw ore. Those with a large ship can perform rough refinement, but the ore should go to a much larger processing center. The miner isn't going to have a large smelter on board (it's just one or two guys). At best, the miner might have some sort of high tech stamp mill to break larger rock up in to smaller ones.

Miners are also limited by cargo space. When the hold is full, they pretty much have to shut down the entire operation, recall the drones, load everything up, and head back to unload. This tanks time and energy to do, but the miner isn't going to leave the equipment out there. He could just leave it shut down on site, but there's the chance someone may come and steal the drones. You can't let them run unattended.

Some miners in more dense belt areas might subscribe to a service that comes out to them to transfer the ore, like those deep ocean fishing factory ships used to service commercial fisherman. But in this case, these ships are mere transports, vs monster factory ships that carry the processing with them. In a dense area, the refinement centers can be quite large receiving vast amounts of ore from the local miners and processing it on site.

Miners would not carve out a planetoid hull. A planetoid hull is carved for a purpose that does not necessarily follow ore lines, and a miner would not want to spend time digging dead rock that's not returning ore. Finally, a planetoid hull is likely just plain too big of a project for a single miner to take on.

Obviously, there can be mining partnerships, larger scale operations with a few more crew, more drones, partnership owned ships to move the ore while the operations crew stays on sight. All sorts of ways it can be scaled.

But I think the goal is to provide the lone miner, or two person team, with a viable career path.

Another route also is rather than a miner, it's a prospector. Shuttling from rock to rock, digging samples, quantifying quality, getting mining claims and then selling the entire claim rather than do the work themselves. These are essentially very small mining operations, a few drones to grab samples, get some ore back to the on board assaying station for evaluation, leave some "I got here first" beacons to document pending claims, and then head back and cash in.

The real trick I think is how to manage the abundance. I'm guessing there's a LOT of "precious metals" out there to the point they're "less precious". But who knows.

There's an entire chapter in MgT2 High Guard on Belt Mining. I think it's mostly the rules from Beltstrike. I honestly just noticed the chapter last week.

myyyyyyyy way!

So sure. I can come up with answers to my questions. But I had really wanted to adhere to the RAW if there was any official data on the subject.

Some random thoughts. And no, I haven't read the 'belters' book, so this may all be covered in detail already.

I thought that gravity systems like those on the air/raft needed a mass - like a planet - to 'push' off of. The manouver drive is based on that tech, but is different in how it operates.

Drones are clearly intended to operate in open space. So they either use reaction drives or else a type of gravitic drive that can operate without an associated nearby mass. Having drones use reaction fuel would be an interesting take.

I think the drones are all 'semi-autonomous'. They can be given a task, but still need to be checked on periodically and assigned new tasks when one is complete. Maybe drop their efficiency to 50% when left along entirely - or eliminate those 'special' finds like artifacts when they are operating on their own.

I see the biggest problems being...

1) efficiency.

2) piracy.

A single ship has to perform the functions of prospecting, mining and hauling. Each of these functions require specialized components, which are basically dad weight when performing the other functions. Having even two ships means you can continue mining while the ore is being taken to market. This saves a lot of time and is way more efficient - especially if the asteroid belt is far from the mainworld or auxiliary world used to process the ore.

Mining co-operatives would be a natural answer to the problems of piracy and the sporadic nature of income from asteroid mining. These could range in size from a handful of private miners to hundreds of small ventures.

Lone prospectors are in it for the 'big score' and probably for the independence. But unless they own their own ship or operate on shoe-string budget, they cannot really compete with the co-ops, let alone big business. Big business makes their money on passing the buck, rather than the actual minerals. Selling ships, supplies, materials, various services and running the mining claims yields more profit than mining. Think of the gold rush in California back in the day. Eggs were a dollar each. A shovel was $100. The suppliers were the only ones to actually get rich.

I experimented with several mining ship builds using high guard. The most efficient design seems to be a dedicated high thrust 'tug' ship and a much larger ore cargo hull. The cargo hull need not have things like gravity or power for basic ship systems, along with other reduced cost hull options, allow for a much cheaper design. This is simply towed by the high thrust 'tug' ship. The tug ship carries one of two ore cargo hulls back and forth, with the other ore hull being left for use by the miners. Another dedicated mining ship mines the ore and yet another ship does the prospecting. This is a lot of ships and requires a lot of people, but the efficiency gains more than make up for this. Miners can take breaks and travel along with the tug ship periodically for a rest at the mainworld. The network of ships can track the movement of pirate ships and report them to the local authorities.

I think a society would evolve among all belters to defend against piracy - even though there would be a tendency to see one another as competition - I think the things they have in common (life style, individualism, hardship, etc) would tend to drive them to be more inclined toward seeing themselves as a single community. Anyone going against the community would simply be denied aid if they got into trouble. A sense of survival would quickly unify everyone.

Someone would find a way of providing those things that the community needs, without having to go back to the mainworld - medical care for example. means of producing food, water, fuel, entertainment, spare parts and perhaps even education facilities would spring up in the belts.

Back