• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

K'Kree space for Travellermap.com

Open Country in the sense that there are no established facts except that there are no polities big enough to register with Imperial, Julian, Vargr, or K'kree mapping efforts. If there were we would have seen borders on a map at some point. It is the edge of the true wilds. If you wanted to get well and truly lost, that region would be a good start.

It might be more appropriate to swap all those population zeros with question marks as my K'kree placeholders have, but the difference to someone wanting to play in that forsaken corner of Charted Space is minimal.

I finished the first pass at Treece Sector. Who do I contact or post to put it up on travellermap? Must I establish an independent website? I see many Sectors posted with no referencing website at all.

I finished the first pass at Treece Sector. Who do I contact or post to put it up on travellermap? Must I establish an independent website? I see many Sectors posted with no referencing website at all.

You don't need an independent website, you just need to contact Joshua Bell (inexorabletash on COTI), he's in charge of TravellerMap.

Open Country in the sense that there are no established facts except that there are no polities big enough to register with Imperial, Julian, Vargr, or K'kree mapping efforts. If there were we would have seen borders on a map at some point. It is the edge of the true wilds. If you wanted to get well and truly lost, that region would be a good start.

It might be more appropriate to swap all those population zeros with question marks as my K'kree placeholders have, but the difference to someone wanting to play in that forsaken corner of Charted Space is minimal.

Well, there is this map from the Zhodani Base, though that's obviously not official.

Xaagr placeholder and a preliminary Kring Noor (truly deserted space is easy) have been passed along to Traveller Map.

It looks like some of the sectors in that corner are using older definitions for the lower population trade codes. Barren (Pop 0), Low Pop (Pop 1-3), and Non-Industrial (Pop 4-6) no longer overlap.

I do notice you placed a minor race called the Jin in Xaagr Sector. Are they from previously published material, or a race you created yourself?

Well, there is this map from the Zhodani Base, though that's obviously not official.

It is an interesting idea, to be sure. Not sure I buy into the origin story or the sheer scale of it, though.

I do notice you placed a minor race called the Jin in Xaagr Sector. Are they from previously published material, or a race you created yourself?

At the moment they are a name. Their homeworld is just off the "nose" of the Salamander, which might be considered evocative.

It is an interesting idea, to be sure. Not sure I buy into the origin story or the sheer scale of it, though.

The name "G'naak" has certainly appeared elsewhere as well, in conjunction with the K'kree.

At the moment they are a name. Their homeworld is just off the "nose" of the Salamander, which might be considered evocative.

The "Salamander" being the large cluster of stars that dominates that subsector?

The "Salamander" being the large cluster of stars that dominates that subsector?

And which inspired the name of the subsector.

Xaagr and Uuk sectors have astrography that would have stretched the logistics of the lower tech and inefficient K'kree during their expansion phase. Their tech has since improved but the inefficiencies called for by their size and psychology remain. There is also no evidence that they continued to hunt down g'naak beyond their borders after the war with the Hivers. Their expansion ceased.

As such, their trailing edge is likely a patchwork of sophont homeworlds spared by circumstance, the occasional hardy K'kree exile group, and a faint web of commerce maintained by hard work and ready weaponry. The K'kree won't have handed jump drive to external races *on purpose*, but the Hivers have probably sold a few "here and there", and the sheer cussedness of Humaniti and the Vargr has probably leaked into the region as well. Don't make too much noise or the K'kree fleets will notice you, and no one out there can stand up to the reality of a TL15 fleet, even one as inefficient as the K'kree.

Got a little too much caffeine in the system last night, and decided to do something with it. As its a barren zone at the moment I didn't need to strip out the population figures. Unlike K'kree space which is just my first stage, Kring Noor and the Big Island are open country. I'll revisit the handful of systems in subsector P at some point, but the rest is for whoever or whatever happens to the Big Island.

So your intent here (and mind you I'm not complaining, just asking the question) is that all of these worlds (with the possible exception of the handful of worlds in Subsector P) are going to remain barren?

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

So your intent here (and mind you I'm not complaining, just asking the question) is that all of these worlds (with the possible exception of the handful of worlds in Subsector P) are going to remain barren?

I don't have plans for the Big Island. The other sectors that make up the Big Island were generated as Barren, and so is Kring Noor's part of it. Are there Humans, Vargr, and native sophonts out there? Probably. Do I need to define them and increase both the eventual Canon over-write chance and possibly harsh someone else's fan development buzz? Not for a remote corner. Immediate K'kree space will keep me busy for a long time.

The handful of worlds in Subsector P are part of trans-K'kree trailing space, and thus in a different neighborhood that I may have plans for.

I like the idea (trope?) of a vast, sprawling, TL 9-10 civilization that has just never stumbled upon Jump and is isolated from charted space so they don't acquire it through trade. Islands Cluster writ large, in a way. But with some stabilizing factor so they don't splinter into multiple civilizations.

I'm reminded of the Qeng Ho from Vinge, but also the "bugs" from Moffitt's Second Genesis and a gazillion other trope-rific stories.

The Big Island is probably a bit too close to Charted Space to be practical for this. Misjumps in would be common and the rift isn't that wide. Plus, we know the IISS is pretty determined...

I like the idea (trope?) of a vast, sprawling, TL 9-10 civilization that has just never stumbled upon Jump and is isolated from charted space so they don't acquire it through trade. Islands Cluster writ large, in a way. But with some stabilizing factor so they don't splinter into multiple civilizations.

I'm reminded of the Qeng Ho from Vinge, but also the "bugs" from Moffitt's Second Genesis and a gazillion other trope-rific stories.

The Big Island is probably a bit too close to Charted Space to be practical for this. Misjumps in would be common and the rift isn't that wide. Plus, we know the IISS is pretty determined...

There are tons of those NAFAL starfaring polities in Traveller... right up until they acquire the J-drive from trade. In fact, a very big percentage of the starfaring minor races were originally one of those NAFAL polities... Very few of the polities went straight from a pre-spaceflight world-state straight to FTL.

I have been mapping them out.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Last edited:

Well, there is a Small Island too. :) That does sound like an interesting idea.

I don't have plans for the Big Island. The other sectors that make up the Big Island were generated as Barren, and so is Kring Noor's part of it. Are there Humans, Vargr, and native sophonts out there? Probably. Do I need to define them and increase both the eventual Canon over-write chance and possibly harsh someone else's fan development buzz? Not for a remote corner. Immediate K'kree space will keep me busy for a long time.

The handful of worlds in Subsector P are part of trans-K'kree trailing space, and thus in a different neighborhood that I may have plans for.

I do remember David Blalock saying that his data for Koog Sector etc. was only barren as a sort of placeholder.

I do remember David Blalock saying that his data for Koog Sector etc. was only barren as a sort of placeholder.

It makes sense to do so at this point, and to finish the project goal of providing a dot map to build on for every sector that GDW saw fit to name. If it gets replaced, so be it. If it works for official development we've saved the Writers some time.

It makes sense to do so at this point, and to finish the project goal of providing a dot map to build on for every sector that GDW saw fit to name. If it gets replaced, so be it. If it works for official development we've saved the Writers some time.

No, I meant, David Blalock said (back in July 2014) he would add some more development to Koog Sector etc. later on, so his barren data was basically a work in progress. Specifically, he planned a polity called the Klaxan Empire, and sent me some information about it via email. He could probably provide you with more information about it, though I'm not sure if he's a user on COTI.

Ah, I see you uploaded Uuk Sector now, too. I have a question, though: shouldn't those "Cs" allegiance codes be "KC" or something along those lines?

Probably. Human dominated would be a bit unusual out there. The precise Allegiance codes for this corner are still firming up as part of the switch to four letter codes. I'll catch them on the next pass.

Last edited:
Back