• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Looking for a T5 Review.

I have to side with S4 on this one. Knowing the probabilities all the time may not completely take away the drama and suspense, but it does diminish it, in my experience as both GM and player. And sure, sometimes you do know your odds of succeeding in real life, but not always, perhaps not even often.

Well, HG_B, in a word yes. Nil and 90%. I fight like crap, okay, I don't fight so mugger has always won. Then again, I only play Adventurers.

Now, if I have a handgun, well, then my odds go up to maybe 40% accounting for the fact that I am waaaay out of practice and have never done practical/tactical training which accounts for my realistic, if crappy chances of hitting.

So, yeah, smart ass, I do know my chances. :devil: Funny thing when it comes to figuring your chances you too have a good idea of your chance of success. If you don't there is something wrong with your upbringing. I mean I figured out the basics of figuring my chances of succeeding in tasks long before I even knew what probabilities were.

I know what you mean about calculating your odds mentally in real life, I do it too, but this is a bad example. You may know, for example, that you have in the past defeated 40% of the muggers you have encountered, and thus in that respect have a 40% chance of succeeding against any random future mugger, but what you don't know is the specific skills and advantages in any particular case. Perhaps this guy tonight is a karate master, and your real odds of winning against this particular guy are perhaps 10%. Now against which odds is your character going to have to roll? You're going to have to roll against this guys stats, if not his rolls too, not your generic 40% chance of winning. How would you know this guy's skills until after you got your butt whipped? Therefore despite one's estimations in real life (which is like knowing your own skill level), you do not know the "true odds" against any particular throw of the dice. This goes against the argument that this is more realistic. As does S4's counter-example where after half the fight you have an idea of your odds of landing blows against someone/thing are, but not initially. That information comes from assessing how successful you are at your rolls, not from knowing the odds ahead of time.

I don't know, maybe it's just a personal taste thing. Maybe people who like to always know the odds are the ones who come from or prefer war/board gaming, where that happens all the time. (shrug) Aramis mentions the problem of GMs fudging rolls or difficulties, well I do that, just not all the time. My players have never complained (even strangers), because a) I don't tell them! and b) I don't do it so often that they figure it out. So if the players are complaining, I'd say that it is not that the GM is doing this, only that they are doing it poorly, and/or abusing it. The whole point is to create a satisfying story for the players, and sometimes random chance doesn't do that and you have to take control.

Trying to think of an example of where knowing the odds seems unrealistic. Suppose the character is going to disarm a bomb. It's a type they recognize, nothing difficult, and they have a good skill at this, so they know that they have a good chance at doing this. Then the GM assigns a Formidable task to the roll. Now wait a minute, the player says to themselves, why is this so hard? This wasn't so hard before, something must be wrong. Now I only have a 10% chance where I should have 80%. I'm not going to attempt the roll. Of course the real reason is that the GM decided that this bomb was booby-trapped by an expert who designed it to look simple, and that is why the more difficult task to notice that. But the character doesn't know that, until they roll to find out. So somehow the player gets information that the character should not know and it risks affecting their decisions in-game.

Or perhaps a bomb isn't the best example because it might blow up in your face. Perhaps you are trying to convince someone to do something simple, but they were told by someone else (secretly) that you were going to cheat them or something, and have thus (again, secretly) made up their mind not to trust you, or cooperate with you. You go to roll what should be a simple task, but the GM assigns a higher difficulty. Uh-oh, thinks the player, what's up? This shouldn't be so hard. Now they know something that they shouldn't know. Hopefully that will clarify this position.

Not that there is anything that can be done about it now, and I still do roll-under systems despite this (GURPS, Palladium, FASA Star Trek), and there is enough goodness in T5 that I'll do it there too (there S4, there's as much review as I think I can get away with for now ;)). It's just not my preference, and for this (and other) reason(s) (such as the recently mentioned roll-high).

I've got to go with Aramis on this one. Players do just naturally enjoy rolling a 6 more than they do a 1, even though the chance to hit each number is the same (on a single die throw).

6 is higher, the highest, more, better, bigger, more powerful.....

This is known fact. So much so, that when I designed and made the MageKnight dice for WizKids, LLC, I made sure that the MK logo was on the 6 location of the six sided dice.

Dave Chase

This is known fact. So much so, that when I designed and made the MageKnight dice for WizKids, LLC, I made sure that the MK logo was on the 6 location of the six sided dice.

Dave Chase
Other systems do this do. My dice for Vampire: The Masquerade have a rose for "1", because it means you did badly (you botched). It is the World of Darkness after all!

Oh, one other study I should mention on Roll High vs Roll Low - TSR asked RPGA members back in the 90's. (Remember - AD&D used both.) The results were heavily slanted towards roll high. Hence, the use of pure roll-high in D&D3E.

I will note that there is a third direction - "High but under" as used in Pendragon... and on "The Price is Right"... and in Blackjack.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm eager to dig into the book once I've received it. Hopefully, I'll find a way to keep drama high with the tweaks that have been made to the base T4 system.

I do not actually know the T4 system too well, combat is more complex than what I described, but seems to part of a unified task system. Things I like from the rules are more towards "personals" which is what could be described as "social combat" as well as the various makers, including cargoes, which is really cool.

I am a contrarian!

Okay, so normal humans like mass quantities. Well, this is just one area where I am not at all like the rest of the humans on planet Earth, I really like roll low. *shrugs* Go Mutants!

Though as I stated, it depends on what system I am playing with.

Anyway, sleep is calling so I will close here and pick it up later.

Okay, first off, Murdoc, if you read my post again, I clearly state that the 40% is only if I am armed with a handgun, otherwise my chances are ZERO. As knowing the odds, that is both because I study, I train, and I actively attempt to use probability manipulation in real life. As for the other guy's skill, that can be determined. I got out of a car because I saw the copper getting ready to initiate combat on my little "I know my rights and the fanarking law and no you can't look in my stuff." butt. Again, I calculated the odds and they came up "Rodney King" so I got out of the car.

In the end, it is called paying attention, kids. It totally lets you game the system and odds. In real life.

Oh and upon further thought and reflection on real life gun combat by folks who are supposedly trained for such situations, I would have to honestly put my chances even with a firearm at maybe 10%. Reality is harsh like that.

EDIT: And one last thing, a mugger is a pretty bad example since, my life and health such as they are, are worth more than any mugger is going to rob me of, so I will just like I always do just give them the damned money. Again, I am a coward like that.

And one last thing, a mugger is a pretty bad example since, my life and health such as they are, are worth more than any mugger is going to rob me of, so I will just like I always do just give them the damned money. Again, I am a coward like that.

Don't say that. You're not a coward because you did the smart thing in a situation.

I usually carry a gun with me, where it's legal to do so, and I've often thought what I would do if faced with a situation. If I saw someone being raped, or me or someone around me is in definite fear for their life, then the decision is made. It's me or them.

But, what if you're in a small store, and some dudes bust in to rob the clerk and don't realize you're back there. Would I try to stop it? Would I kill them?

Or, let's say I'm robbed, and the robber takes off with my money and credit cards. Would I shoot him, possibly killing him, and have to live with that the rest of my life?

I don't know what I would do in those situations.

I don't think a lot of us do until we are tested.

Sparing a person's life, even if he's in the wrong, doesn't make you a coward.

From experience, I've found that if a player knows the target number (the AC, in the example) and can automatically know the success of his throw, then he tends to move on mentally and not "live" in the dramatic action as deeply.

Your adventurers are blindfolded so they can't tell how tough an opponent is without looking.

With the T4 task system, where difficulty is determined by the number of dice thrown, and the target is determined by adding Skill + Stat, there is no way for the GM to hide anything--not the difficulty or the target. Not unless the GM does something unorthodox and ungainly like rolling the task for the player (players like to roll their own dice) or not telling the player what he's rolling against (now the GM has to do all the work and keep track of all PC's skills and stats).

Under T4, it's just impossible to put the drama into the game like I described above.

The players knowing they are rolling for succeeding at an almost impossible task is drama enough. Or they can role-play their delima out by their knowing it is an impossible task and so they don't even try for a roll, which is even more drama.

Last edited:
Your adventures are blindfolded so they can't tell how tough an opponent is without looking.

As I said above, it's really not an issue of if the characters should know the target or not. That's arguable. It's that not knowing the target leads to a more engaging game. That's been a fact in my experience. And, the T4 task system removes that tool from my GM's box.

The players knowing they are rolling for succeeding at an almost impossible task is drama enough. Or they can role-play their delima out by their knowing it is an impossible task and so they don't even try for a roll, which is even more drama.

No, pure rolling is not "drama enough". That's like saying, "Eh, you character has a MOVE statistic. Why alter it if the character is bogged down with heavy equipent. The original stat is enough."

Not near enough in my games when so much more can be had, with the right GM tools.

And, yes, I do believe that roleplaying shoud trump dice throwing.

Roll-high feels intuitive to me. However, roll-low can be quite handy.

I'll even use roll low sometimes (just not the majority of the time) in my CT games. These are times when it's not important to be dramatic.

Like shoving open a stuck hatch. Roll 2D for STR or less. If it's really stuck,then roll 3D for STR or less.

Of course, CT is all over the place. Which is one of the things I like about it.

As I said above, it's really not an issue of if the characters should know the target or not. That's arguable. It's that not knowing the target leads to a more engaging game. That's been a fact in my experience. And, the T4 task system removes that tool from my GM's box.

No, pure rolling is not "drama enough". That's like saying, "Eh, you character has a MOVE statistic. Why alter it if the character is bogged down with heavy equipent. The original stat is enough."

Not near enough in my games when so much more can be had, with the right GM tools.

And, yes, I do believe that roleplaying shoud trump dice throwing.

So you believe that when characters are attempting to roll an 8+, there is no drama for them. That it's just another 2D6 roll for them.

Another thing about the T4 mechanic that I don't like is its focus on itself--rules.

I don't want my players thinking too much about rules. I want them thinking more about events happening to their characters.

With many games, I can say, "Roll two dice."

Player: "What for?"

Me: "Don't worry about it. Just roll."

I figure the outcome, without telling the player, and then describe what happens. The effect is that we're on the dice for just a moment and then back into the game, the dice forgotten. Player is more concerned about events.

This is another thing that you cannot do with the T4 task system because the player knows everything--difficulty and target number.

I can't just tell him to roll the appropriate number of dice. The T4 system is designed for the Skill + Stat.

I could, I guess, have a copy of all the character sheets behind my screen, then figure the targets without telling the player. But, man, that seems like a lot more work for the GM. I've got enough to do with just running the game and the NPCs.

With a game like CT, I can just come up with a difficulty once. With T4, each difficulty number is unique to the character. It's not a 10+ throw for everyone, add in your mods. It's Stat + Skill, uniquely, for each character...and that's a lot of work that I don't want to have to keep up with as GM.

The T4 system is just hard system for the GM to keep things secret.

The only other thing I can think to do with the T4 system, in order to add in some mystery, is to use a random modifier with each throw. It's not a very good fix. First, I don't want to bother with it. Second, I guess the range wouldn't be that good, either. I could, say roll 1d6: add the even numbers to the character's target (making the task easier) and subtracting the odd results from target.

For example, Skill-3 Stat-7 is normally 10- in T4. I'd roll a d6, and the real target number is either 5-, 7-, 9-, 12-, 14-, 16-.

That might work, but it doesn't sound fun.

Damn NDAs.

There is now that I have my sleep, another part to the T5 Task system that makes things a bit murkier for those who want it, but I am not sure if I can safely talk about it yet.

And Supp4 those questions of yours is why I leave mine unloaded and packed up right now. The older I get the less I am looking to use it, age does temper youth thankfully.

With many games, I can say, "Roll two dice."

Player: "What for?"

Me: "Don't worry about it. Just roll."

I have bowed out of games that this happens consistently in. Part of the fun of RPG's for me is the rules themselves. If I'm never going to have any idea why I'm rolling or what I'm rolling against then it ceases to be a game for me and becomes just playing a puppet in the GM's storytelling.

Different strokes and all that.

So you believe that when characters are attempting to roll an 8+, there is no drama for them. That it's just another 2D6 roll for them.

Having hidden targets is not the end all and be all. It's just like I said--a tool for the GM.

I'd rather have it than not have it.

I have played games where players know all the targets, and even in games where targets are hidden, I sometimes allow the players to know the targets. It depends on the mood and the situation.

The problem with T4 is that everything is out in the open and there's no choice to hide anything without doing it in an awkward way.

Using what DMs?

To open a stuck hatch? None. That's my call as GM in a CT game. 2D or 3D for STR or less.

I have bowed out of games that this happens consistently in. Part of the fun of RPG's for me is the rules themselves. If I'm never going to have any idea why I'm rolling or what I'm rolling against then it ceases to be a game for me and becomes just playing a puppet in the GM's storytelling.

Most people hve a great time in my games, but you could, indeed, be one of th few that manages to have a bad time when everyone else, including me, are glued to their seats, breathless for the next thing that happens.

C'est la Vie.

For Mongoose Traveller, my players do their own rolling without asking what to roll for. I'm just the ref.

As ref, how would you handle the situation I described earlier in the thread.

The PCs have discovered an ancient ruin on a world. Exploring it, they think the place is of alien origin and at least several thousand years old. And, they think the aliens used biomechanical technology.

One PC stands in front of a long rectangular stone. He'd call it a dias or a table except the top surface is concave, bowled as it it could hold water. There are several green mushroom looking growths spread throughout the bowl. Though they resemble mushrooms, their texture is flexible but tough and rubbery.

Your player wants to make throw for his character to figure out the use of the table.

How would you govern this?

BTW, I might even just roleplay it out through answering the player's investigating questions, but this is not about roleplaying. We're talking about mechanics. So, let's just focus on the roll and not skirt the question by going the roleplaying route. Assume the player is out of ideas, and you're willing to tell him or give him a hint on a successful roll.

What roll would he make?

(You know that the table is an alien diagnostics bed. The "mushrooms" suck blood, fluids, and cell samples through the skin, fed to the biochemical diagnostics device in the center of the rock. No humm or machinery can be heard. It's almost like a plant device.)

In CT, I said ealier that I'd decide on a 10+ throw needed to figure the machine, because I thought the device quite alien and different from what the PCs are used to. For DMs, the character can use his Medic skill, and give the PC a +1 DM if EDU 13+.

The GM knows the character has Medic-2 and EDU 13, so the ref simply calls for a 2D throw. The target number of 10+ has been lowered to 7+ to accomdate the PC's DMs.

If the player makes this throw, the ref will either tell the player what it is (the character figured it out, but the player didn't) or give the player a real big hint as to the device's function--pointing him in the right direction (I'd probably do the latter, unless the game was dragging, then I'd just let the player know what it is and move on).

Here's the important part: If the player bricks the roll, I've given him no hints--no information about what the thing is. He doesn't know how hard I made it to figure it out, and he doesn't know that his Education and Medical skill are important clues to help him figure it out.

Using the T4 task system, how would you achieve the same result in a game?

Back