• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Non OTU: mapping a 3D star cluster

JimMarn

SOC-14 1K
I have several Comographer templates/guides for mapping my Breloss sector in 3D. There are 8 columns of planets possible in each sub-sector. 16 sub-sectors in each sector.

On my Sectors, so far, not all sub-sectors, nor are all sectors, are full of planets. That would reduce the number of maps overall. I don't see myself filling up every hexagon anyway.

Doing this so the maps are useful, will be a pain.

I have one where each level is a separate map, one above the other. This one has 4 levels. So it would take two of these for each column in a sub-sector.

One I made has each level lettered, one of these maps for each column. But I can show all 7 levels on one map, one column at a time.

I think the second will be be more clear to read than the other one.

So, as I have time I'll map one sub-sector of each and see how they turn out.

I hope that was coherent... I had skin surgery for cancer last week and I'm running a bit of a fever. It happens about once a day, so I should be okay.

I have tried the AstroSynthesis software and I have a very hard time seeing the details.

Any suggestions ?

I have that one, but I like one I came up with that may work better.

I'll get a png of it on my imgur account and post it.

Each letter on the left is a level. With this I can map 8 levels, one of these for each of the horizontal rows that have stars.

So 128 of these maps per sector. The text 'level' is going away.

Go8uqZq.png

I have decided it would be easier, no re-editing, to make all 7 level maps for the sub-sectors, then make the 3D vertical maps.

Levels 4 through 7 are done. I am currently working on level 3. About 250 more planet maps, UWPs, a number of sub-sectors, etc. to complete.

I have been thinking of making the template larger, so I can show solar systems that aren't in the 'ballpark' of the star cluster. I remember from my telescope owning days that some small clusters had outlier stars. Maybe make it 9 levels, and only add an occasional oultier star.

30 planets left to go to finish up the star cluster.

Take a break after that is done, then start uploading files and typing in the articles, link them together, etc. I figure October of this year, maybe done by then. Well, end of October.

Campaign Cartographer 3+ has an add-on Perspectives, which is an isometric view simulating 3D. I will be trying this, as well as the vertical template idea I came up with, to create a map of a sub-sector with only a few levels having planets, and one with planets on most levels. I do have the add-on.

Not sure I'll map the entire cluster of 7 levels.

Had another thought, but its gone. This age thing...

Back