• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Serious injuries- another hypothetical

apoc527

SOC-12
Ok, I know this is something that shouldn't exist in d20, but I can't help myself, seeing as how Traveller is supposed to be more hard sci-fi than cinematic space opera.

Don't get me wrong, I perfectly understand why such things as "called shots" and "hit location" don't exist in d20, but what about DM adjudicated "serious injuries". I'm talking about a broken arm, or a mangled shoulder, or severely damaged (perhaps missing) leg.

Normally, that sort of thing isn't a big deal in stock d20 (which I consider to be D&D) because of magic healing. If you lose a leg, there is some spell that will allow you to get it back (hell, kill yourself and get resurrected...at least you come back whole). In Traveller, however, no such magic exists. If you lose a limb, you may need to get a cybernetic or cloned, vat-grown replacement.

(Please note, I'm not trying to put called shots into T20. That's bad. I'm just curious if anyone has experimented with something like this. Say, on a shot that would bring a PC to negative Lifeblood, the PC could make a Fortitude save to only take a serious injury instead. Obviously, all this needs to be GM/Referee approved, but it would allow for the occasional scar, patched eye, or cybernetic limb obtained post-character generation.)

Opinions?

Called shots with automatic weapons in use? Everyone will be too busy just trying to stay alive than to make the perfect between the eyebrow hit. I really see no need for it in Traveller. Closest thing to it would be a snipers shot.

Back