• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller 5 up on Kickstarter

Using Kickstarter to raise the funds and using a specific skill set that you gained through a business degree to maximize the use of those funds are two completely different arguments, so you're both right.

I know I read about a video game that had stretch goals of posters, and didn't take into account how expensive it is to get all those cardboard tubes to ship them in. They spent 3/4 of the money they raised on fees and stretch extras.

So having a guy with a BBA couldn't hurt

I agree, it can help, in particular to remove the workload on Marc Miller, so that he can focus on creating a great product.

The kickstarter is what in the business world is called "creative financing", a word that is used pejoratively sometimes, often in the news, but businesses use funds from where ever they can find them, nothing wrong with that. Keep the accounting equation in balance and it is all good.

Sigh if it wasn't the best part of £100 I'd be sorely tempted, I realise that the shipping charge is what it is and to be honest I don't blame Marc for that. Also theres the whole customs thing(once again not Marc's fault)

I take it this won't see general production? As in I won't be able to purchase it from a store?

I dunno, I saw a rumour that Marc has said it would be produced sometime in 2013 and available then for $75. Presumably without CD or other extras, shipping extra, and only after the kickstarter orders were filled.

I dunno, I saw a rumour that Marc has said it would be produced sometime in 2013 and available then for $75. Presumably without CD or other extras, shipping extra, and only after the kickstarter orders were filled.

Not a rumor, its right on the kickstarter page. Under one of the updates I think.
Getting the pdfs included makes it worth it for me

Traveller 5

T5 moving forward is nice with the all the 3rd party issues. I noticed the T5 forum is no longer in use. Is everything being discussed here or somewhere else.

Last edited:
The forum is still in use. I posted details for forum members on the Kickstarter yesterday.

Are you looking in the right place?

Forum location

I went to the traveller5.com website and took the link.

soooo.... what url are you using?

Ok I have been thinking about the moot for a long time. I just want to know whats the difference between owning the T5 beta CD and paying my money to get moot access?

I found a visa gift-card with some cash left - not much. So I'm in at the $2 level, and were it not already paid for, I'd not be able to afford even that. But, since I'm a CD buyer, I'll be getting the PDF anyway. And I'm already an Imperial Baron.

Ok I have been thinking about the moot for a long time. I just want to know whats the difference between owning the T5 beta CD and paying my money to get moot access?

The Moot Access money goes to paying the op costs of the boards. The leftovers go to Marc. It gets you access to the "moot tower" (which tends to be slow, but has some spiff stuff, tho' not T5 playtest), and a spiff Board Title (like my Marquisate). It keeps the board running.

The T5 Beta CD money goes straight to Marc, but about $15 of it is his costs. (Mailing of the initial and final CD's.) It doesn't pay for the boards, but does get you into the T5 playtest subs.

The T5 Kickstarter goes straight to Marc, but considerably more swag is involved, so the costs are higher. It gets you swag when Marc gets the thing done.

Kickstarter themselves considers it to be a form of microinvestment, and won't help you go after Kickstarter projects that fund but fail to deliver. Unlike normal preorders, kickstarter is essentially "investing in hopes of the promised swag."

Now, Marc's always been excellent about customer service. T5 might be late, but, barring injury or illness, he is incredibly likely to follow through. He always has in the past.

I went to the traveller5.com website and took the link.

soooo.... what url are you using?

Actually, the T5 Beta forum for CD owners is here on COTI. That Traveller5.com link is ancient, and sadly not owned by Marc. It's supposed to have been taken down, but magically reappears occasionally.

The only people who see the T5 private forum here at COTI are those who request access after purchasing the CD, and I can validate their account e-mail address against a T5 purchase e-mail. It is NOT public.

Target has been reached! Huzzah!

Now what extra features can be added with the funds that come in? Many, many, many I hope.

the original was in reference to T5... Now lets make the FIRST liscensed procuct real

"Fat Cat Far Trader game book: a starship supplement"

Search for it (nothing in life is easy, ya gotta' look fo' it)

Back