• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

US Army Apache versus a Dragon

IIRC there was an air combat board game back in the 70's or 80's (not sure about which one it was. Maybe SPI's Air War?) where there was an scenario that confronted a US plane against a dragon, and another against an UFO...

Indeed. I believe someone mentioned it on the Dragon thread I started a few years back. But yeah, I can't remember who published it either.

Putting fantasy geek hat on; I can only assume said dragon is "very ancient." We're talking beyond ancient status here, because even ancient dragons are prone to slices from human (dwarven, elven, orcish, what not) bladed weaponry (game system depending).

Or, said pilots just happen to be untrained, or ignorant enough, or unlucky enough to keep hitting the dragon's topside reinforced armor.

I wonder how a grav tank or grav attack "gunship" might fare. G-carrier with an X, Y, or Z gun on the pintel mount? Empress APC?

Switch it up a little, and maybe the dragon has some kind of super-reflective armor. Suddenly those heavy high energy weapons are splaying off a mirrored dragon with god knows what as a breath weapon.

I remember reading in Shadowrun (3E) that adult, and this is younger than Elder, dragons could take on an air force unit and survive. Though in Shadowrun they do have more command of magic than your average human, and have an ability to influence luck/fate.

So a dragon who's had enough time to master some sorcery and grow into his powers could easily take on an individual helicopter, though if the helicopter's crew is good enough they may do some damage.

The 30mm fires explosive rounds, not bullets - so they would explode on impact, not bounce off.

They still might not do much damage, but in the search for accuracy...

It can also fire Armour Piercing Anti-Tank rounds. That can penetrate up to 6 inches of armour plate.

Back