• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

OTU Only: What is your take on the Zhodani?

What is your take on the Zhodani?

• Total voters
IIRC, the Zhodani try to treat the illness of any insane crime (those comited willingly), and if they are not healable, they are just eliminated, as they see imprinonment as too cruel (and probably the sedes or more insaity), and releasing them would be too dangrous for society.

Many of them have uses outside the consulate, so they will get used for that.

Keep in mind also: they are masters of the mind. There are few items they can't cure or at least control.

For example, many sociopaths and a good portion of psychopaths function just fine in regimented lifestyles when given a purpose to fulfil... it's when they get out of that regimented life that they lose it. And the Zhodani can check for that issue... and know which ones to keep on duty for everyone else's good. Or at least the good of the citizens of the Consulate.

Many of them have uses outside the consulate, so they will get used for that.

Keep in mind also: they are masters of the mind. There are few items they can't cure or at least control.

For example, many sociopaths and a good portion of psychopaths function just fine in regimented lifestyles when given a purpose to fulfil... it's when they get out of that regimented life that they lose it. And the Zhodani can check for that issue... and know which ones to keep on duty for everyone else's good. Or at least the good of the citizens of the Consulate.

If a citizen might be violent beyond the means of their mind adjustments to adjust, there is always war and putting down insurrections at hand. They'd know if the person was going to start going rogue. Might make for some truly fearsome troops, actually. And gives them an outlet, too.

What would be truly disturbing would be the decision of what was "normal" and what was "aberrant" and needing of fixing. And the limits of what they could do. And what they would be willing to do in the name of extreme pragmatism/ruthlessness? Might make Hivers seem open and straightforward ....

The more interesting question is who gets to change the elite psionic class minds?

Could also be quite unnerving when it's 'reformatting time' for outsiders.

Last week on the border- 'Imperial citizens are wonderful but just misguided miserable people, we'll do business sure!'

Adjustment goes through cause of a series of security breaches, new policy.

Next week- 'Your filthy Imperial credit is no good here! Gold in hand, strict trade, and don't even talk to me you filthy liar'.

People you know are 'different' every time you meet them again. That would be jarring and creepy.

The more interesting question is who gets to change the elite psionic class minds?

same as on terra, or anywhere - the victor writes the history. only the zhodani get to write the memory as well.

People you know are 'different' every time you meet them again. That would be jarring and creepy.

it would be entirely normal for them.

same as on terra, or anywhere - the victor writes the history. only the zhodani get to write the memory as well.

it would be entirely normal for them.

They're also likely to keep it subtle, rather than overt...

... not so much because of external obviousness, but because overt changes imply that they have failed to catch the problem in time.

Plus, the Zhos don't trust Impies to begin with, "because they're so often insane..."

hqdefault.jpg

Just remember that almost every Roman/Ancient Greek/Ancient Egyptian would consider the modern world insane too.

Reminds me of Merlin in Lewis' That Hideous Strength, who appreciated the richness of modern (1950s?) society regarding stuff, and clothes--but was surprised that no body-servants were provided.

We don't have psionics

Our campaigns don't use magic...er I mean psionics so the Zhodani don't have role in our Traveller universe. We have at times substituted/transplanted races from other games/books/movies.

Specifically -
  • Kaffirs from traveller 2300
  • Idorians from ICE Space master
  • Cyclans from the Dumarest Saga
  • Pastiche of Kaffir and Predator from the movie
  • Martians from Space 1889
Kaffirs from traveller 2300

It's to allow flykiller to vote - it means a totally mind controlled society with the proles as mindless automatons.

And many thanks for adding the option by the way - even if it only gets one vote.
It got my vote, too. That's always how I've seen them - even with actual psionic monitoring being relatively rare, I imagine the fear of it completely dominating everyone's life. Not a question of good or bad, and a lot of polities have similar overall aims though they may lack the tools.

I don't see the proles ever actually being happy with it, though. But then, a happy hive mind wouldn't have as many adventure possibilities.

Gotta say as a Psychiatric Nurse, the ability to reprogram the human brain to like things, to hate things, to fix trauma and addiction... I think society would be insanely different, and that the Zhodani are utopianists but also autocrats, a sort of tyrannical, conservative United Federation of Planets to the liberal Galactic Empire that is the Imperium.

Like if we take the 3I as a good Galactic Empire, the 3I has bases, fleets, ships everywhere on an expanding outer rim, but turn a blind indifference to its member worlds and let them fester in crime or tyranny provided they follow the rules they set out for space activities.

The Zhos meanwhile are sort of a reverse prime directive Federation, a mental Borg if you will: your ideas will adapt to service the consulate, you will be safe and secure, your career set and enjoyable through psionics, your mind and body both healthy and happy throughout your lifespan: we will care for you, especially if you don’t know you need care.

Yet like the UFP, the upper echelons have forgotten the ideals. Zho Nobles are as capricious as they come, immune to the mental conditioning considered crucial for proles and intendants. They pursue their own ends, bicker, and fight internally, like the Starfleet Admirals often so corrupt, brash, or incompetent.

This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Flawed people raise the good as icons, seeing in them what they cannot create in themselves. Perfect people raise the flawed on accident, for when you do not know evil you cannot see it festering beneath.

The Imperium is many things, but liberal really isn't one of them.

It is an authoritarian absolute monarchy rife with corruption and nepotism. Incarceration without trail, the 'vanishing' of political prisoners, the kidnapping, enslavement and experimentation on intelligent beings from beyond its borders - doesn't sound very liberal at all.

The Zhodani nobles and intendents invest a lot in the care and happiness of the proles, they are not mind controlled and dominated, they are cared for physically and mentally. The Imperium doesn't want you to know this hence the propaganda...

It is an authoritarian absolute monarchy rife with corruption and nepotism. Incarceration without trail, the 'vanishing' of political prisoners, the kidnapping, enslavement and experimentation on intelligent beings from beyond its borders - doesn't sound very liberal at all.

Certainly not post-2000s Liberal as we'd know it, but definitely liberal in terms of historical monarchies: the Imperium is corrupt, and nepotistic, and has less concern for the rights of non-nobles, but it is inherently free and independent for most of its citizens: if you have a Starship safe to hold vacuum and carry cargo, the Imperial Navy isn't about to board and seize it pointlessly, they're not mustache twirlers like the Galactic Empire - they respect free enterprise and human ingenuity.

Compare that with say, a Tsar of Russia whose people are still serfs and thralls.

The Imperium is many things, but liberal really isn't one of them.

The Zhodani nobles and intendents invest a lot in the care and happiness of the proles, they are not mind controlled and dominated, they are cared for physically and mentally. The Imperium doesn't want you to know this hence the propaganda...

You understate matters. The Imperium isn't rife with nepotism -- nepotism is its organizing principle! (And in-universe, that's necessary to maintain continuity of governance and ensure orientation toward long-term goals.)

Its main problem is that it's too big to care, even if it wanted to.

Zhodani can't help but care, because they literally know how their citizens feel.

Zhodani can't help but care, because they literally know how their citizens feel.
The question then becomes, do they respond by A) changing the system to make their citizens happy, or B) changing to the citizens to make the system run more smoothly. I know which is more likely based on the authorities I know ... :smirk:

It seems more like the nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

And before it gets that far, the square peg gets sandpapered to fit into the round hole.

Back