• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Would You Buy a Solo Traveller Product? II

Would You Buy a Solo Traveller Product?

• Hell's Yes! Give it to me NOW!!!

Votes: 64 45.1%
  • Yes! I'd buy it, but I am not sure I would ever play it.

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Hmm, I think so. If it were in the version of Traveller I wanted, if it sounded interesting, etc.

Votes: 42 29.6%
  • I'd consider it. Maybe.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • No thanks. That just doesn't sound like my thing.

Votes: 7 4.9%

• Total voters
Actually, I just bought one last week: SOLO from Zozer Games. Haven't had a chance to start playing yet. Wrote a little bit about it in recent CotI blog post; see link at upper right, Read SpaceBadger's Blog. I'm planning to write more about it as I get started.

Me too! Been reading the PDF, the physical copy should show up next week, and setting up the characters in my blog. I may introduce them here at some point as others have done with their solo games, but I've not decided if I really want to or not (blushes and tries to go back to lurking; alas, too late!).

Having 4 days off and mostly by myself I may have gone overboard. But that's how I roll apparently.

I'm doing it for 2 reasons: (1) right now I am not playing or refereeing a game between lack of time and players [although I am slowly trying to see if I can fix both of those] and (2) flesh out MTU more. The last 2 games I refereed were in MTU from the old college days, and a SOLO trip may help me to flesh it out. As I've bought a lot of Traveller supplements over the years, I want to do more than just read them and throw them on a shelf.

edit: the heavy stuff goes on the bottom, per Earthquake thread. That's where the minis and the BBB sit. That T5 book could kill someone should it fall on them!

edit 2: and this thread is the reason I finally broke down & bought it.

One year later update:
Marooned Alone is the only Traveller adventure I have ever _played_ (as opposed to reading lots of LBB adventures). My original character was all city skills and presently got caught. A follow-up Scouts character designed to resemble "Crocodile Dundee" turned the tables.

My favorite characters are Merchants, not outdoorsy types. An LBB Double Adventure-sized solo adventure would breathe some life into my PCs.

I'm actually planning to use Solo for the same purpose:)!

Finally got to session 1 of the SOLO game...I think there is some really good potential. I've got a few questions which don't belong here (maybe another thread for that in the starport channel). But overall, I can see playing more Traveller solo games (well, this one just started, and will probably last a good long time as my son is off to college soon and my wife is pretty much fishing all the time :) )

If interested, it is in my blog in the sig. Being a member of the Moot, maybe I'll take advantage of that blog feature to run the 1st person perspective of the other post...

Me too! Been reading the PDF, the physical copy should show up next week, and setting up the characters in my blog. I may introduce them here at some point as others have done with their solo games, but I've not decided if I really want to or not (blushes and tries to go back to lurking; alas, too late!).

Having 4 days off and mostly by myself I may have gone overboard. But that's how I roll apparently.

I'm doing it for 2 reasons: (1) right now I am not playing or refereeing a game between lack of time and players [although I am slowly trying to see if I can fix both of those] and (2) flesh out MTU more. The last 2 games I refereed were in MTU from the old college days, and a SOLO trip may help me to flesh it out. As I've bought a lot of Traveller supplements over the years, I want to do more than just read them and throw them on a shelf.

edit: the heavy stuff goes on the bottom, per Earthquake thread. That's where the minis and the BBB sit. That T5 book could kill someone should it fall on them!

edit 2: and this thread is the reason I finally broke down & bought it.

Thanks for sharing information about SOLO. It led me to look into it. I will be getting it soon because I have a strong interest, out of both inclination and circumstance, to do much Traveller solo. This book seems to suggest ways solo adventuring could be done. The element of surprise seems to be a key part of the design of this book. If there's any other works like this please let me know if you can. I hope the Traveller community may produce more in the OTU for solo adventuring.

My biggest concern would be that it not feel like Exit Visa nor Marooned Alone.
And it needs to have plenty of choices... but a good solo needs to have no more than a few at a given point.

I mean, of my thousand or so hours of TFT play, probably 900 are solo, and 25 are prep for FTF play.
Of my 1000-1200 hours of T&T play, about half of them are solo. 1/20th of them are prep.
Of my 5 hours of Runeslayer play, all of them are solo....
Of my many hundreds of hours of Car Wars play/run, about 10% have been 2 solo modules: Hell On Wheels, and Convoy, multiple times each. And I've even run Convoy in GM'd mode. About 20% were battles-only. Another 10% were the various ADQ solos (Maniac is the most memorable; convoy in ADQ was not a solo, but a GM'd module) And for every hour of GMing about 1/4 hour of prep...

Of my several thousand hours of Traveller play and prep, maybe 20 hours are solo modules, and maybe 100 are solo activities not insupport of FTF play. I really didn't ever lack for willing traveller players; I lacked players I wanted to run traveller for.

Oh, and if it's a Mythic GM Emulator equivalent, then, there is no interest on my part. I got Mythic when it came out, and found it not my cuppa. That type of thing didn't do anything I hadn't already done, and found unsatisfying, with CT and MT.

Depends on what this solo play involves. I'm more of a scout/mapper/exploring solo player rather than a fighter or whatever.

Solo Adventures

I thought a 'choose your path' mini adventure would be cool during character creation. They could be built around some of the event rolls.

For example: "You spend a great deal of time on the fringes of charted space. Roll Survival 8+ or Pilot 8+" would trigger the mini adventure. It would be designed to be doable in a 5 - 10 minute time frame with a series of choices that require other task checks and perhaps offer an additional skill or benefit as the player goes in addition to the Event outcome.

Cheers,

Back