• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Cepheus Engine Only 10 Ton Jump ship

At a minimum, you need one acceleration couch.

resize

Last I looked, that's a half tonne.

Work station tends to be around one tonne.

Which version of Cepheus? The shipbuilding rules differ between the different versions.

But the main point of the Cepheus corpus is you are encouraged to re-write the rules any way you see fit.

Which version of Cepheus? The shipbuilding rules differ between the different versions.

But the main point of the Cepheus corpus is you are encouraged to re-write the rules any way you see fit.
Cepheus deluxe. Yes, and sorting out old carry over rules from prior editions that don't work with a latter group of rules is mainly what I'm doing. Or rules that were written that make no sense because whomever wrote them didn't understand the subject (like aeronautics) when writing rules about rules for lifting body space ships. That type of thing.

LBB2 77
The Bridge: All starships must allocate 20 tons displacement for basic controls,
which include guidance radars, drive and power plant controls, communications
equipment
, and other devices required for proper control of the ship.
LBB2 81
The Bridge: All ships must allocate 2% of their tonnage (minimum 20 tons)
to basic controls, communications equipment, avionics, scanners, detectors, sensors,
and other equipment for proper operation of the ship.

HG80
The Bridge: Every ship requires a bridge for control of the drives and electronics
and for navigation.
The bridge contains all necessary equipment for the control of the ship with the
exception of the computer.

So a bridge includes:
basic controls - cockpit workstations, space to walk around
guidance radars, scanners, detectors, sensors - show me on the deckplan where this lot are, the phased array transmitters and receivers, the ladar etc
avionics - control electronics
drive controls - m-drive and j-drive controls
power plant controls
communications equipment - again the transmitters and recievers
other devices required for proper control of the ship - grav plates and intertial compenstaion?
So the BRIDGE on a 100 dTon SCOUT should be identical in SCOPE (if not configuration) to the BRIDGE on an 800 dTon Mercenary Cruiser ... but the deckplans say it ain't even close. Hence my "rants". ;)

My way around this (for the The Littlest Starship discussion, derived from a 10-12Td Jump Torpedo in the context of LBB5'81) was to extend the LBB5 "Computer as Small Craft Bridge, downrated by 1 Mod/#" rule to Starship Bridges if the computer was downrated two Mod/#s.
I like the -1 step [RAW] and your -2 step [proposed] to the computer model as the COMP takes up more of the "slack" for specialized controls/equipment. That's a simple, elegant solution. (y)

LBB2 77
The Bridge: All starships must allocate 20 tons displacement for basic controls,
equipment
LBB2 81
to basic controls, communications equipment, avionics, scanners, detectors, sensors,

HG80
The Bridge: Every ship requires a bridge for control of the drives and electronics
and for navigation.
The bridge contains all necessary equipment for the control of the ship with the
Depending on what you define as "controls/equipment" some items are fixed size [a radio is a radio irrespective of the hull you stuff it into] and some things scale with the ship [3D pitch/yaw control; hull leak sensors; life support]. We have 20 dTons as the point where "variable" tonnage components overpower the "fixed" tonnage components [which occurs at a 1000 dTon hull]. From some other versions (not CT) we have 10 dTons as the point where "fixed" tonnage components overpower the "variable" tonnage components and create a minimum Bridge Tonnage [which occurs at a 100 dTon hull]. So we know that the 10 dTon variation in Bridge tonnage occurs between 100 dT and 1000 dT (RAW typically place a hard break somewhere around 200-300 dTons). I just like 10 dTon fixed and 10 dTon variable with a linear progression because a 50/50% split between fixed/variable and a 1% of tonnage for variable linear progression appeals to my natural bent towards simplicity.

Real Spacecraft have moved from THRUSTERS to GYROSCOPES for altitude control. I would wonder if part of the BRIDGE is heavy GYROSCOPES to control orientation and fine control? They might be a quarter or half of that 1% variable tonnage!

Cepheus bridge is 2% of hull 10 tons minimum. None of these bridge rules are well thought out at all. You have JD required size based on tonnage, computer/electronic required size based on Jn. No reason for an arbitrary bridge tonnage beyond that needed for required crew positions. I should just come up with a logical house rule for all tonnages of jump capable ships.
So, like FF&S? It had controls as a fixed (small) portion of volume, computers as a separate thing, and the crew's control positions also separate. MegaTraveller was similar, for that matter (it just had fiddlier rules for the crews' control systems). A 100 DTons ship needs under 3 DTons of controls, computers, etc. A 10 DTon one that skimps on computer redundancy could be by with less than 2 DTons.

I think that MgT's and Cepheus' apparent design goal to be as like CT as possible in ACS design feel was taken a bit too far to the detriment of the utility of the design rules.

So I decided to make a TU where Jump drives could work with <100 ton hulls. I extrapolated the Drive size by applying the same ratio used for the M drive size difference between 100 DT and above ships and small craft for a given performance value (Small craft JD size chart attached).

I then designed a TL 12 10 ton jump ship. Basically it would end up being like a large RV with all the living amenities. I'm attaching the design sheet and a quick deck plan.
In Star Wars (always a risky source of inspiration), there is some sort of a "jump shuttle" that bolts onto an X-Wing Fighter to allow FTL travel. That always reminded me of the Traveller SDB and its "Jump Shuttle" for moving a SDB to a new system.

It seems to me that a more practical alternative is a "BOLT ON" package that upgrades a Small Craft to being JUMP CAPABLE. I created a 50 dTon bolt on module for the 50 dTon Modular Cutter that created a 100 dTon Starship (which could then land the cargo with the detached Cutter).

Your concept makes me wonder if all the "STARSHIP" components could be stripped off [JD, J-Fuel] and the smaller craft operate as a Small Craft [with better performance in the stripped configuration]. Then the "Micro Jump Shuttle" becomes an UPSALE OPTION to add to your small craft.

If you drop the "Micro Jump Shuttle" at the 100 diameter limit to refuel at a tanker, then it can be ready to jump right away with a new Small Craft as the old Small Craft travels to the world. Some planets are deep inside the star's Jump Shadow ... making this a cheap spaceport at the jump-limit using a small craft for station keeping, a cutter module living quarters, and a Dropable Fuel tank as a DEPOT.

LBB2 77
equipment
LBB2 81

HG80
and for navigation.

So a bridge includes:
basic controls - cockpit workstations, space to walk around
guidance radars, scanners, detectors, sensors - show me on the deckplan where this lot are, the phased array transmitters and receivers, the ladar etc
avionics - control electronics
drive controls - m-drive and j-drive controls
power plant controls
communications equipment - again the transmitters and recievers
other devices required for proper control of the ship - grav plates and intertial compenstaion?
But note that a 20% volume, minimum 4 DTon small craft bridge also provides most of that (no room to walk around, no jump calculations, no weapon controls), as does a computer plus a 1/2 DTon couch (and it allows weapons, and should allow jump). So a civilian small craft can get by with 4-20 DTons of bridge at kCr100-500, and a military craft (or gold-plated civilian craft) can use a computer plus couch at MCr 1.025+, possibly saving space in exchange for a lot of money.

I do wonder just what a 99.9 DTon small craft or 100 DTon ship has in their 20 DTon bridge that a 20 Dton and smaller craft does not have in its 4 DTon bridge.

The crew requirements for smaller ships is about what it would be for a present day ocean going ship. Maybe or two more people because present day engines are all moving parts as opposed to an M drive on a trav ship
People sail yachts around the world solo. Aside from storms the big risks come from crossing major shipping lanes (commercial shipping being notorious for keeping terrible watches) and confined waters - places where having only one person available and thus times when nobody is on watch is a risk.

A Traveller jump ship is quite like this - much of the time is spent in jump, where you don't really need someone on watch, and a single crew member would probably spend their time on routine maintenance and personal improvement, and the busy time would be jump departure and emergence and landing and planetary departure.

The crew requirements for smaller ships is about what it would be for a present day ocean going ship. Maybe or two more people because present day engines are all moving parts as opposed to an M drive on a trav ship
Really? The minimum crewing requirements for ocean-going merchant ships (as governed by SOLAS) is quite a bit more than the crew requirements for small ships in Traveller. For ships in the 500-3000 Gross tons range (134.5-763.7 dTons) and 750-3000 kW engines (with Unattended Machinery Space (UMS)), the minimum crew would be:

Deck Department - Master, Chief/1st Officer/Mate, 1x 2nd/3rd Officer/Mate, 3 x navigation watch ratings, 3-4 general deck ratings

Engineering Department - Chief Engineer, 1st/2nd Engineer, 1 other Engineering Officer, 3-4 engineering ratings

Stewards Department - Cook, Steward's Assistant

This has given lots of info to crunch. Thanks all. I have distilled it down into something that will work with Cepheus and is logical.

Jump capable space ship bridge requirements:

For ships 100+ tons

7 tons plus 2% of hull tonnage.

This tonnage provides:
4 stations on the bridge for crew.
1 gravitic sensor to determine “100D Limit” for jump and used by the jump calculation program.
One airlock.
Jump grid (2% of hull volume)

Small craft requirements for jump capable.

3 tons plus 2% of hull volume.

This provides:
1 bridge station
Gravitic sensor
Jump grid

People sail yachts around the world solo. Aside from storms the big risks come from crossing major shipping lanes (commercial shipping being notorious for keeping terrible watches) and confined waters - places where having only one person available and thus times when nobody is on watch is a risk.

A Traveller jump ship is quite like this - much of the time is spent in jump, where you don't really need someone on watch, and a single crew member would probably spend their time on routine maintenance and personal improvement, and the busy time would be jump departure and emergence and landing and planetary departure.
Yes, I watched a great YT series of vids where a guy did around the world in a 30' sloop. Fortunately ships now have to squawk with all location and heading info. He had a receiver system that tied into this an using his boats GPS & warned him of any ships. His biggest problem was storms and unforeseen wave patterns. I've seen large yachts where just the husband and wife crew it trans oceanic.

@Marcatlas,

Once you are settled on the numbers, it would be interesting to see a couple more micro jumpers, say a 20 dton and 40 dton for example. At what point does it cross over where the old reliable 100dt scout becomes a better deal, or does it?

@Marcatlas,

Once you are settled on the numbers, it would be interesting to see a couple more micro jumpers, say a 20 dton and 40 dton for example. At what point does it cross over where the old reliable 100dt scout becomes a better deal, or does it?
I'll be trying to redo the 10 ton right away. It might not be possible even using the high TL drive size adjustment. I'll probably have to make a 20 ton ship. The Type S has room for 4 staterooms, air raft, turret and some cargo not to mention M2 and J2. All at ~MCr32. I don't think the small craft will better that deal as far as performance and versatility.

I understand rules wise but it makes it all but impossible at 40% of hull being bridge
:(
It's kind of my point. In that variant (and, to be clear, it's mostly a thought exercise) I am deliberately making the 10-12Td torpedo-derived ships mostly useless (it's a TL-15 self-propelled half-stateroom with a jump-1 drive and that's it.) The silly-expensive reduced-size bridge option is taking a similar approach to make 25-100Td starships vaguely workable. The idea needs some nerfing in larger ships though, to better align with existing rules.

If you want to make jump ships under 100Td viable (especially under a different rule set than I was working with!) go right ahead, and have fun!

Back