• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

2D12 Traveller - Tech Levels

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
Using 2D12 instead of 2D6 presents at least two advantages: DMs are less constrained, and TLs (after adjustment) become potential target numbers.

Tech Levels in 2D12 Traveller are a compacted form of the "normal" Tech Level scale.

In 2D12 Traveller, one use of TL is as a target number for technological tasks, such as firing ship's weapons, or the abilities of robots or programs to actually perform a task. This is what I use to determine where the Imperium is on the 2D12 TL scale.

Assuming a ship's computer in the Third Imperium laser has about a 40% chance to hit its target, and we use 2D12 <= TL as the task success, then the Imperium's TL15 would be at Adjusted Tech Level (ATL) 12. On the low end, I will guesstimate that TL 9 is ATL 9.

Compressing 4 ATLs into 7 TLs cannot please everybody. With that in mind, here goes.

Code:
TL   ATL
--   ---
0-9  0-9
10     9
11    10
12    10
13    11
14    11
15    12
16    13
17    13
18    14
19    14
20    15
21    15
22    16
23    17
24    18
25    19
26    20
28    21
30    22
32    23
34+   24

Using 2D12 instead of 2D6 presents at least two advantages: DMs are less constrained, and TLs (after adjustment) become potential target numbers.

Tech Levels in 2D12 Traveller are a compacted form of the "normal" Tech Level scale.

In 2D12 Traveller, one use of TL is as a target number for technological tasks, such as firing ship's weapons, or the abilities of robots or programs to actually perform a task. This is what I use to determine where the Imperium is on the 2D12 TL scale.

Assuming a ship's computer in the Third Imperium laser has about a 40% chance to hit its target, and we use 2D12 <= TL as the task success, then the Imperium's TL15 would be at Adjusted Tech Level (ATL) 12. On the low end, I will guesstimate that TL 9 is ATL 9.

Compressing 4 ATLs into 7 TLs cannot please everybody. With that in mind, here goes.

Code:
TL   ATL
--   ---
0-9  0-9
10     9
11    10
12    10
13    11
14    11
15    12
16    13
17    13
18    14
19    14
20    15
21    15
22    16
23    17
24    18
25    19
26    20
28    21
30    22
32    23
34+   24

I do not follow what you are saying at all.

Well if I was going to move away from the Holy 2d6, it would be 2d10.

Gets you both 2-20, AND can be 1-100% generators with one die acting as high die.

If TL was your base stat to roll against and TL9 is to be equivalent to 8+, each 2d10 pip would be 5.26, 9*5.26=47%, very close to 2d6 8+ at 5*9.09=45%.

That would get you a roll up to TL20, more then enough range for the vast majority of Traveller rolls. AND no conversion table to mess with.

I dunno. There's just something about those 12-sided dice.

They're underappreciated. You see them, but they're in the shadows of the other dice.

And yet, they are quite stable. Those pentagonal faces are great for rolling... not as unstable as those ten-siders.

And there's no pretentions of percentile use. I tend to suspect that people who like percentiles have control issues. Which is a lot of us, I admit.

They're underappreciated. You see them, but they're in the shadows of the other dice.

And yet, they are quite stable. Those pentagonal faces are great for rolling... not as unstable as those ten-siders.

And there's no pretentions of percentile use. I tend to suspect that people who like percentiles have control issues. Which is a lot of us, I admit.

Look, if you have an emo love affair going on with 12-siders, who are we to get in your way or judge?

Just admit it's a passion and move on from all these spurious logic arguments you don't really believe anyway.

Personally I think the 8-siders don't get the love. Not a classic beauty, they are quite pointy, but viva la difference, no?

And of course the 4-sider, which gets you 25% per face AND can be used as caltrops in a pinch.

I use the D12 for my modification of Axis and Allies, to broaden the distinction between all of the units, and allow for differences between countries.

T5 has 33.

And there was an old chart somewhere under CT or MT (or DGP?) that listed Grandfather (current) as TL35.

The following quote comes from Adventure 12: Secret of the Ancients, page 41.

The technology used to create the Ancient teleport networks comes from a variety of tech levels. Creation of portals to pocket universes is about TL 25. The actual pinching off of pocket universes is closer to TL 35.

Back