• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rifle mini-grenades

I was talking about the new rifle with the shiny super-high pressure rounds. It's got the same recoil impulse as 7.62x51mm and that means if it's not in a heavy battle rifle (or in a machinegun) it's going to have more recoil than most shooters can handle.

Agreed on the break-down of useful shooters. Another thing is that most people won't spot an enemy that's making some effort at not being obvious (i.e. in camo, not out in the open, not moving much) at over 200m, often less, especially if the sh*t is flying.
Funny we spotted a lot of taliban on ridgelines outside 300m range,

I have served as infantry, but not seen combat.

A question - did everyone spot them, or just some who then pointed them out to everyone? Also, how did it go with spotting guys not on ridgelines?

I have served as infantry, but not seen combat.

A question - did everyone spot them, or just some who then pointed them out to everyone? Also, how did it go with spotting guys not on ridgelines?
Don’t be obtuse. The dead giveaway was usually the RPG7 or PKM which at distance is easier to spot. The ACOG lets us glass at x3.5. Are we done now.

Raise you hand if you have been in combat, and I mean DF engagements.

Not me, and as such, could you (in general, not only you personally) please use less acronyms for those of us unused to military specialized slang?

Frankly, I think I'm losing half the information in this thread due to this detail...

Not me, and as such, could you (in general, not only you personally) please use less acronyms for those of us unused to military specialized slang?

Frankly, I think I'm losing half the information in this thread due to this detail...
Copy that

I would suggest that, if such grenades are generally available, and are useful, TL14+ battledress will either be even rarer issue than it already is (because it's damned expensive and only useful against under-equipped low TL opponents), or will have better levels of protection.

I don't see what's wrong with TL-14+ battledress, the cutting edge of personal protection, requiring support weapons to take down (though in MT shooters can do it with ordinary small arms anyway with good tactics, luck, and/or high skill). That's the point, really.
Combat armor and battle dress can be pretty useful in the "bad war" setting. They provide NBC protection as well as, if I recall, protection from fire and vacuum, and - if a nuke goes off - you'd rather be wearing the expensive stuff. Nukes are a very good way to clear concealed infantry out of an area to push through armor before they can react, but combat armor (and battledress) gives you a better chance of surviving in the tertiary zone and, at TL14+, some chance of surviving even in the secondary zone. (It should also provide protection against fuel-air bombs since it's a rigid shell, but we don't have that in the game.) Planetary troops won't generally face NBC attack unless there's an interstellar conflict going on.

I see combat armor as the armor of choice for troops expected to fight in a variety of planetary environments and under threat of nuclear attack, while planetary troops are equipped with less expensive gear tailored to the local environment and circumstances - therefore the need to issue equipment to help them reduce their disadvantage should they find themselves facing combat-armored troops.

Combat armor is also useful if you find yourself in the position of having to drop artillery near or on your own position, since you're a smaller target than vehicles and more resistant to fragment hits than lesser armored troops.

Raise you hand if you have been in combat, and I mean DF engagements.
🖐️

View attachment 5198
Ouch! Thank you for your service.

I was too young for Viet Nam, too old for the later stuff, and - having gotten too close a look at the post-Nam all-volunteer Navy during my ROTC college days - opted to surrender the scholarship rather than go into the service, which I regret sometimes but wouldn't have met my wife otherwise so I'm content with it.

Ouch! Thank you for your service.

I was too young for Viet Nam, too old for the later stuff, and - having gotten too close a look at the post-Nam all-volunteer Navy during my ROTC college days - opted to surrender the scholarship rather than go into the service, which I regret sometimes but wouldn't have met my wife otherwise so I'm content with it.
My father and through him my sister and mother have the effects of agent orange. I was conceived prior to his tours. You dodged a bullet and a well intentioned yet ill-conceived effort, that became a test of will.

Last edited:
Combat armor and battle dress can be pretty useful in the "bad war" setting. They provide NBC protection as well as, if I recall, protection from fire and vacuum, and - if a nuke goes off - you'd rather be wearing the expensive stuff. Nukes are a very good way to clear concealed infantry out of an area to push through armor before they can react, but combat armor (and battledress) gives you a better chance of surviving in the tertiary zone and, at TL14+, some chance of surviving even in the secondary zone. (It should also provide protection against fuel-air bombs since it's a rigid shell, but we don't have that in the game.) Planetary troops won't generally face NBC attack unless there's an interstellar conflict going on.
How vacuum-proof combat armour is depends on source, I think. Book 4 says it can be made gas and vacuum proof, which implies it's not by default, for example.
I see combat armor as the armor of choice for troops expected to fight in a variety of planetary environments and under threat of nuclear attack, while planetary troops are equipped with less expensive gear tailored to the local environment and circumstances - therefore the need to issue equipment to help them reduce their disadvantage should they find themselves facing combat-armored troops.

Combat armor is also useful if you find yourself in the position of having to drop artillery near or on your own position, since you're a smaller target than vehicles and more resistant to fragment hits than lesser armored troops.
The thing is, it's expensive. Once you're equipping everyone with combat armour, you may as well provide them with TL-13 lasers or plasma guns, and anyone facing you that can't match your expenditure isn't really a peer opponent and we're back to discussing whether lower-tech or poorly equipped opponents should be able to defeat combat armour or battle dress with small arms or not-quite small arms, that are still light enough for eneral issue when facing TL-12+ combat armoured opponents.

How vacuum-proof combat armour is depends on source, I think. Book 4 says it can be made gas and vacuum proof, which implies it's not by default, for example.

The thing is, it's expensive. Once you're equipping everyone with combat armour, you may as well provide them with TL-13 lasers or plasma guns, and anyone facing you that can't match your expenditure isn't really a peer opponent and we're back to discussing whether lower-tech or poorly equipped opponents should be able to defeat combat armour or battle dress with small arms or not-quite small arms, that are still light enough for eneral issue when facing TL-12+ combat armoured opponents.
That's basically the Traveller paradigm for the 5th Frontier War: well-funded, well equipped Impie and Zho regulars, budget-funded locals trying to do the best they can in an impossible situation. Infantry small arms aren't going to decide an interstellar war, but it is ever so good for morale to be able to shoot back and have some effect.

I served 6 years USAF, 1975-1981 volunteer, never got shot at. My Brother 8 years my senior was old enough to be a pilot and flew KC-135's and went downtown Hanoi twice in that fuel barge to drag fuel leaking single and dual pipe fighter bombers out of the hot zone. My dad was WWII arial gunner 8th AF in England, but was such a geat shot going through ariel gunnery school, the 8th AF assigned him to be a tail gunner instructor. ROTC after that then spent 3 decades in the USAF, serving as air rescue in Korea, and Vietnam, he got shot at without being able to shoot back. Retired with 18 outstanding unit citations 254 people rescued. My Father-in-law enlisted in the US Army in 1940 or so, was fully trained and on a troopship to mindanou island in the phillipines as front line infantry 1 week after pearl harbor. His company was nearly wiped out and was folded into a second company, then that company took 1200 replacements. 4 1/2 years in front line infantry one of only 4 that survived from the original company. After I married his daughter, I told him that I had served 6 years but had never gotten shot at. His reply was that that is OK, I signed the forms and took my oath of service. From that point forward it was not up to me if I got shot at or not. @Meteroic Assult Thank you for agreeing to put your life on the line in defense of our freedom and our country.

Back