• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I saw it too, the other day..... hmmmmmmmm......

Not at all what I expected. I think, to me, the problem was it wasn't ...errr...."British" enough.

I don't think any other society has such a gift for humour as the Brits. Hitch-hikers, Flying Circus, fawlty Towers, The Goons, The Goodies etc etc etc....

And yes - Ford did nothing for me either. I got the feeling that he was trying a bit too hard, if you know what I mean.
And Zephod was too over the top. Slapstic almost.
I actually liked Arthur (although I preferred the lovely red dressing gown of the TV series).

And I liked the cameo of the original Arthur as the defence system at Magrathea - and of the original Marvin too..... (something for us old farts :D )

Ovferall for me? It was okay. I'm not in any rush to see it again. Although I'll keep my copy of the original around.....

Am I right in thinking that Zaphod's accent was meant to be Texan? That would make it quite a good joke - a stupid Texan as president (now who could that refer to...). ;)

Otherwise, I thought it was OK. Not great, but not as bad as I'd been led to expect from various reviews. My 12 year old son loved it though. Now he's interested in reading the books, so it's done some good...

Cheers

David

I have only read the books once in the mid-late 80's. I recall laughing so hard I teard up at times. But the movie although enjoyable was just too flat for me. I only chuckled once or twice. It just didn't hit my funny bone like the written words did. But I would still recommend it to anyone who likes the books.

I too remember laughing riotously over the books ... and the TV series ... and the radio play ... back in the day. I recall my friend and I replaying the radio scene where Arthur tries the tea, over and over and over again, on our knees with tears streaming down our faces.

I found the movie seriously flat. I think the actor who played Arthur (Martin Freeman, I think) was brilliant in The Office, so I was hoping for more; the actress who played Trillian (Zooey Deschanel) I hear has been quite good in other films. But everything was just monotone; bad direction I suspect. Absolutely nothing that Ford Prefect (Mos Def) said was at all funny.

The Guide animations, and the half brained, fake cowboy, president of the galaxy joke were some of the highpoints.

But has anyone ever incorporated the guide or something of it's ilk into their TU?

A researcher for the guide bumming around the universe, hitching or even buying passage from system to system would make a great character and a great campaign too.

Crow

The Guide? IMTU it's called Library Data ...

TAS Library Data - possibly the most remarkable, certainly the most succesful book ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of Core Sector. More popular than The Sylean Home Care Omnibus, better selling than Fifty More Things to do in Jumpspace, and more controversial than Malenfant's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters Where God Went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes and Who is this God Person Anyway?

Just keeping it in perspective,
The radio show was first. (IIRC, 4 hours)
The TV show dropped some of the good bits from the radio show and added some new stuff.(3 hours)
The book was fat enough to put in the best of both and some new stuff (Equivilent to 5 hours?)

So whats the surprise that a <2 hour movie had to leave out some of your favorite bits? I haven't seen it yet, but I expect a different experiance than the other media. Sorry to hear about Ford, though.

We tried to include the Hitchhikers Guide in our Traveller game, but we found that none of us were as funny as Douglas Adams. And it is harder when you can't re-write the Universe for the sake of a joke.

Oh, the TV series is out on DVD. I watched it last week.

Thanks for hammering a bit of perspective into the film. However, I still do find the film slightly screwy and more Disney (a la Pacifer) than something that I could stomach. The critics who say: "It is not as good as you hoped nor is it is as bad as could be." do have a point but I still feel I wasted 16$ going to see it.

For my wife who does like a good story even if the narrative sucks but the special effects are good gave it one thumb and a half down.

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
But has anyone ever incorporated the guide or something of it's ilk into their TU?

A researcher for the guide bumming around the universe, hitching or even buying passage from system to system would make a great character and a great campaign too.

Crow
It's actually canon and I've solo played just such a character off and on over the years. So naturally I fully agree with you
Never found a game suitable to use him in sadly :( It's him I model my INSIDE reports on these boards after.

Library Data:

Digest Touring Award - Every seven years The Traveller's Digest chooses a new recipient for The Digest Touring Award. The award is for outstanding journalism by a professional journalist living and working "behind the claw". The winner is granted honorary membership in The Traveller's Aid Society for the duration, to be used to travel the region. During this period the journalist is to file a story every 13 weeks to promote and spread understanding of the vast cultural diversity of the region.

"The radio show was first. (IIRC, 4 hours)
The TV show dropped some of the good bits from the radio show and added some new stuff.(3 hours)
The book was fat enough to put in the best of both and some new stuff (Equivilent to 5 hours?)"

From memory:

There were two radio series, each 6x30min.
The first two books are roughly the same as the first series, although some bits are different.
The two LPs and the TV series (6x30min) are roughly the same as the first two books.
The last three books follow on from the first two, ignoring much of the second radio series.
The last three radio series are based on the last three books.
The film is loosely based on the TV/book version, with major changes.

Back