• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: A couple questions after reading CT 1977

Long-time occasional lurker, first-time poster. I played Classic Traveller a handful of times decades ago, but never owned any of the books myself. Fairly recently, however, I purchased some CT CD-ROMs from FFE out of a nostalgic desire to revisit and better understand the game after all these years. After reading the PDFs for the 1977 versions of LBB1-3*, I have a couple questions:
  1. Book 2, Starship Combat, Gravity (pg. 29): Here it states that the length of a gravity vector "is equal (in inches) to the strength of the gravity band in Gs" and then gives an example: "a vector dictated by the 0.5 G band of a world is 1.0 inches long." Shouldn't the length of the gravity vector from a 0.5G band be 0.5 inches, per the stated rule? Or is the stated rule incorrect here? (Or am I just overlooking something?)
  2. Book 2, Computer Software List (pg. 12): Am I understanding the Maneuver/Evade programs correctly when I come away with the impression that Maneuver/Evade-1 only provides a beneficial DM for a pilot with Pilot-4 or better skill (since the listed DM is "1/4 pilot expertise")?
Thanks in advance for your answers!

(* I'll be working my way through the CD-ROMs in something like chronological order, just 'coz that appeals to me :) )

Regarding Gravity: This rule was revised in the Deluxe Traveller Core Set, and is reflected in the PDF's available from DTRPG. It reads:

"The length of this gravity vector is equal (in millimeters) to the strength of the gravity band in G's x 100. Thus, a vector dictated by the 0.5 G band of a world is 50mm long".

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Book 2, Computer Software List (pg. 12): Am I understanding the Maneuver/Evade programs correctly when I come away with the impression that Maneuver/Evade-1 only provides a beneficial DM for a pilot with Pilot-4 or better skill (since the listed DM is "1/4 pilot expertise")?
Correct.
Cheap computer programs need lots of skill to make up for the "lack" of programming involved.

Regarding Gravity: This rule was revised in the Deluxe Traveller Core Set, and is reflected in the PDF's available from DTRPG. It reads:

"The length of this gravity vector is equal (in millimeters) to the strength of the gravity band in G's x 100. Thus, a vector dictated by the 0.5 G band of a world is 50mm long".
Note the 77 edition uses inches and miles.

Long-time occasional lurker, first-time poster. I played Classic Traveller a handful of times decades ago, but never owned any of the books myself. Fairly recently, however, I purchased some CT CD-ROMs from FFE out of a nostalgic desire to revisit and better understand the game after all these years. After reading the PDFs for the 1977 versions of LBB1-3*,

Please note you would be better served reading a later edition of the rules as the are more consistent with each other.
I have a couple questions:
  1. Book 2, Starship Combat, Gravity (pg. 29): Here it states that the length of a gravity vector "is equal (in inches) to the strength of the gravity band in Gs" and then gives an example: "a vector dictated by the 0.5 G band of a world is 1.0 inches long." Shouldn't the length of the gravity vector from a 0.5G band be 0.5 inches, per the stated rule? Or is the stated rule incorrect here? (Or am I just overlooking something?)
Yes, the displacement is the units of movement, 2 inchs = 1g, thus .5g = 1 inch of movement.
  1. Book 2, Computer Software List (pg. 12): Am I understanding the Maneuver/Evade programs correctly when I come away with the impression that Maneuver/Evade-1 only provides a beneficial DM for a pilot with Pilot-4 or better skill (since the listed DM is "1/4 pilot expertise")?
yes.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

(* I'll be working my way through the CD-ROMs in something like chronological order, just 'coz that appeals to me :) )
I understand that, I tend to work through all the CT cds once a year or so.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. On gravity, the responses here made me go back and - sure enough - I forgot about the statement at the beginning of the chapter under Basic Parameters: "2 inches equal one G". I'm glad I did understand Maneuver/Evade correctly, though - appreciate the confirmation!

I'm going to let the 1977 edition stew a bit, maybe play around with some systems to get more of a feel for things, so I can evaluate/appreciate the changes in '81 from a place of at least a bit of knowledge.

Back