• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Adventure Outline

Originally posted by Keklas Rekobah:
To me, this is the ideal case. A fully-detailed, yet closed, environment allowing for freedom of choice within certain inviolable limits.
You could as easily call it a setting as an adventure, where some "game is afoot" and detailed to the level customary for published adventures rather than settings.

Speaking of settings, and drifting off topic... ;)

The Gateway sourcebook works on the basis of "here's a political/historical framework plus 3% of the systems, you are free to do as you wish with the rest". D&Ders might think of this as the "Greyhawk" approach, compared to the "Forgotten Realms" approach of "we detail as much as possible to save you the effort".

It would be nice to have the second option for Traveller as well. Some bunch of ten to twenty systems, walled off by politics or astrography to give PCs a reason to stay in them. Detail every system plus the overall politics of the group, their outside enemies, their forces and diplo/intel setup, etc. Then a ref can come along, ask what PCs and game the players want and decide where they fit, plug in some of those generic adventures I was talking about, and have a game with minimum homework. [Once more, some people enjoy the "homework" and that's fine. But some of us aren't too enthralled by it...]

Something like the Old Worlds pocket empire in Crucis Margin could work nicely. All the usual campaign types would fit, in both low and high octane variants. There's everything from safe internal spec trading to fleet engagements against the Kafoe Dominate, via spying on the Katowice Conquest and diplomacy to the other pocket empires. It's just begging for a 50-100 page book.

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
I'd like to present how I visualize the 'plot' or 'story' within each adventure and how I view the PCs' interactions with it. I'm an engineer and my mental pictures are rather weird, so please excuse me in advance.
I'm an engineer too. It makes sense to me...

If I were running a campaign/setting of my own invention, tailoring it to my particular PCs and continually adjusting it to their actions as play went along, that's what I'd do.

It looks harder to achieve in an off-the-shelf product. But I think commercial material could usefully come closer to your model than it does now.

Morte wrote:

"I'm an engineer too. It makes sense to me..."

Sir,

Please consult with your family physician immediately! ;)

More seriously, I've always had this mental picture of adventures that resembles a continaully updated 3D depiction of a rough metallic surface; a wrinkly red sheet with yellow bumps. The sheet being what the PCs don't see and the bumps being the 'peaks' I blathered about. I dunno... it works for me.

BTW, may I tell you how much I've enjoyed your Kursis Charter Story? I think that any site; CotI or Freelance Traveller, would eagerly host it.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Lee's Guide and a few other CT products did just what you say - adventures were specified as

'requires a planet as follows
size: 4-8
atmo: 5-8
hyd: 4-8
pop: 5-9
gov: 5
law: any
tech: 9+
'

And then it goes on to recommend candidates in the spinward marches and the solomani rim, and usually several of each.

Now *that* was how to write a useful adventure!
Wow. I have to agree, although I never saw it before (or if I did, then eye doe numembuh).

I'm writing a single adventure for 5 to 7 beginners or 2 to 4 experiences players. There are so many "What If's" that it could evolve into a larger story arc.

It includes...

- Striking Miners.
- Scab Laborers.
- Double-Dealing Merchants.
- Defaulting Shipowners.
- Military Secrets.
- Jungle-Dwelling Rebels.
- Patent Infringements.
- Captive Governments.

... and my own Planetary Enviroment Classification System. All at TL6 to TL9.

Keklas Rekobah states:
I'm writing a single adventure for 5 to 7 beginners or 2 to 4 experiences players. There are so many "What If's" that it could evolve into a larger story arc.

It includes...

- Striking Miners.
- Scab Laborers.
- Double-Dealing Merchants.
- Defaulting Shipowners.
- Military Secrets.
- Jungle-Dwelling Rebels.
- Patent Infringements.
- Captive Governments.
Oh, your playing the old GDW BELTER game, huh. :D

I went back last night after looking at this thread and looked thru the reprints of the Adventures and Double Adventures. What you have in your outline in the begining is fairly close to what was in the CT Adventures. A couple of differences though. On equipment, you have equipment, armor & weapons, and 3 different lines for Transportation. In CT, all this got put into a one paragraph section, "Equipment Available". Which makes sense to me, after all, in the real world, ships are treated as depreciable capital assets, with a class life of 18 years. Also, equipment purchase came before the referee describes the initial situation(s).

1.0.0: PLAYER's INFORMATION
1.1.0: PLOT SYNOPSIS
1.1.1: INITIAL SETTING
1.1.2: INITIAL SITUATION
1.2.0: PRE-GEN CHARACTERS
This is pretty much the same setup with the initial Double Adventures, although the exact phrasing and order of appearance changes a little bit. I imagine what you have as "1.1.1: INITIAL SETTING" would fall into CT's "Standards and Assumptions" with the subcategories of "Date" and "Place". Your "1.2.0: PRE-GEN CHARACTERS" in CT is "Characters", even though what they, in CT, are in fact, is a set of 8 pre-generated characters.

A wonderful little section you occasionally find in some [but not all] of the CT Adv./Double Adv. is called "Understanding this Adventure." This little paragraph, and especialy the "Referee's Checklist" that it contains, is so elegant, straightforward, and concise, that it should be stamped to the forarm of anyone wanting to be a referee. :eek:

Where I could not decern an outline pattern in CT Adventures was after the situation was described. At that point, everything is a jumble, until you reach the "referee's notes" at the end of the book.
:confused:

If there are any of the really, really, really old ancient ones lurking around, I'm sure we'd all love to see what outlines you guys used. :D :cool:

Me, earlier:
Where I could not decern an outline pattern in CT Adventures was after the situation was described. At that point, everything is a jumble, until you reach the "referee's notes" at the end of the book.
A deep thought:
Maybe there was no decernable outline pattern because it was intentional not to have one, thus adding to the PC's confusion.

>>blink, blink<<

file_21.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif

Originally posted by plop101:
Oh, your playing the old GDW BELTER game, huh. :D
A grand game I just recently acquired (having played years ago)!

A wonderful little section you occasionally find in some [but not all] of the CT Adv./Double Adv. is called "Understanding this Adventure." This little paragraph, and especialy the "Referee's Checklist" that it contains, is so elegant, straightforward, and concise, that it should be stamped to the forarm of anyone wanting to be a referee. :eek:
I'd concur this was a useful component. Of course, as a diagram guy, I also prefer visual representations of scene linkages or other elements. A picture is, after all, worth 1000 words. (Which means about 5 pages of text...)

:confused:
Some did have some weak points in subsequent organization. Some buried key facts into textual passages (thus making them seem less key and not drawing to the eyes).

The "old GDW Belter's game"? :confused:

Crud, I re-invented the wheel again...

This is what happens when the old GDW pieces are either too rare or too expensive (or both) - the original material become unavailable, so that it gets re-written by those of us who don't know any better.

Why don't you tell me how it turns out, so I don't have to waste effort on that part, too.

Keklas Rekobah posts:
Crud, I re-invented the wheel again...

This is what happens when the old GDW pieces are either too rare or too expensive (or both) - the original material become unavailable, so that it gets re-written by those of us who don't know any better.
Whoa! Hold on there bud. You haven't reinvented the wheel.

Its just that every time I see striking workers I'm reminded of the Belter game. Actually, Belter doesn't have "Jungle Dwelling Rebels" [it does have a belter rebellion though], absolutly nothing about "patent infringement," and as far as "double dealing merchants" is concerned, thats just the other players one has to deal with in the game.

It is a game that is interesting though, especially when you look at the Adventure 1 Kinunir. A often discounted theory of mine was that the Kinunir Battle Cruiser and the Shionthy Contra-Terrean Belt were outgrowths of Belter. I say often discounted because a few ancients that I've discused this with on the old TML say it aint so. But the paralels are to close in my mind to be coincidental. In Adv 1, they have the Kinunir carrying two partical cannons, yet High Guard had yet to be put forward. The only GDW game that I know of at the time that had PAWS was Belter. Kinunir as a menacing battle cruiser? In HG1 or HG2? Hardly. But in Belter, the Kinunir would be the King of the Battle Field. Then you got Shionthy. This place screams Belter. Anti-matter being mined in an asteroid belt?!?! Yeah, that is Belter folks. No Doubt Aboutit.

But, Belter is non-canon, and any resemblance to what is in Adventure 1 is merely a coincidence.
The ancients say so. :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry, get back on message Plop!

Keep those outline thoughts coming Keklas! My brain and my brain tumor require more stimulation!

Back