• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

An older Scout - the Ross-class Scout (Printable Deckplans)

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Ian Stead and I have been working on a Scout deckplan for a while. We had a couple of things to rework from a previous draft, but it looks great. The character was created in RPGSuite and put on a custom character sheet. Ian did an awesome job on all of this.

You can also print this on 11 x 17 paper with a program that can pull all 4 pages into it.

I pictured it as an older Scout that the Service discontinued several centuries back, but Citizens can still find refurbished, rebuilt, or even new versions of it rarely throughout the Imperium. Some Senior Scout way back thought the Type S was a better looking ship and would help the image of the Scouts. I think it would fit well in the era of the Octagon Society or anywhere else, really.

Give it a shot as an alternate Scout or even a Detached Duty ship.

Attachments

• gqGD-CW8 (1).png
    gqGD-CW8 (1).png
    608.8 KB · Views: 120
  • gqGD-CW8 (2).png
    gqGD-CW8 (2).png
    581.4 KB · Views: 120
  • gqGD-CW8 (3).png
    gqGD-CW8 (3).png
    243.9 KB · Views: 110
  • gqGD-CW8.png
    gqGD-CW8.png
    862 KB · Views: 102
10 ton bridge?
Model/5bis computer?
That doesn't look much like a CT system designed starship. Which Traveller version did you use for it?
Since the specifications detail Crystaliron for the armor, I figure it must be MegaTraveller or later, but can't recognize the version in use immediately.

It's also ironic that you use an octogon planform for your deckplans ... since in my head the Spinward X-Courier/Spinward Flex Courier flattened sphere configuration ships I've designed use a hexagonal rather than octagonal planform on a 3 deck structure (mail vault plus cargo bay with inflatable fuel bladder below for roll-on/roll-off capability when landed on a planetary surface (45.4 tons), a fuel and engineering mid-deck (118.6 tons), with the bridge/computer/crew area plus turret on the smaller top deck (31 tons) all packaged inside a 194 ton starship).

Out of curiosity, what software tools did you use to create the starship images and deckplans with?

Looks like a MgT 2e design. Very cool… makes me think all those UFO sightings back in the 20th century could have been Imperial Scout ships ;)

I believe the stats are from Mongoose version 2 High Guard.

I'm glad you like it. Ian did all the hard work.

Even if you don't like the ship, the Character is a valid Detached Duty Scout.

Last edited:
10 ton bridge?
Model/5bis computer?
That doesn't look much like a CT system designed starship. Which Traveller version did you use for it?
Since the specifications detail Crystaliron for the armor, I figure it must be MegaTraveller or later, but can't recognize the version in use immediately.

It's also ironic that you use an octogon planform for your deckplans ... since in my head the Spinward X-Courier/Spinward Flex Courier flattened sphere configuration ships I've designed use a hexagonal rather than octagonal planform on a 3 deck structure (mail vault plus cargo bay with inflatable fuel bladder below for roll-on/roll-off capability when landed on a planetary surface (45.4 tons), a fuel and engineering mid-deck (118.6 tons), with the bridge/computer/crew area plus turret on the smaller top deck (31 tons) all packaged inside a 194 ton starship).

Out of curiosity, what software tools did you use to create the starship images and deckplans with?
10 ton bridges are a mongoose giveaway.
Model 5bis are available in CT... High Guard 1st edition (1980?) too lazy to check the pub date.

Yes, there were higher-model /#bis computers in '77/79. Unless you were desperately short on space, they made no economic sense -- but they existed.

Yes, there were higher-model /#bis computers in '77/79. Unless you were desperately short on space, they made no economic sense -- but they existed.
I thought they were useful for the cumulative DMs you could rack up by running several programs simultaneously.
But then, perhaps the space available in the Model/5 was simply ridiculous?

I thought they were useful for the cumulative DMs you could rack up by running several programs simultaneously.
But then, perhaps the space available in the Model/5 was simply ridiculous?
The issue was how many programs you could run during a phase and how many optimized phases you could have.
Beyond a certain point your investment will be in the software packages and the higher model won't get you anything because you don't have the number of gunners/targets to make it worth more computer hardware.

For MTU, I would probably handwave the main thruster/lifter as being on the underside, making this a tailsitter that can land and operate groundside like a belly lander. Perfect really for those no inertial dampener tech levels, and maybe make the underside thruster/lifter/emitter swivel so it can fly through atmo edge on as intended.

I work with LBB5.80 all the time and the bis models stop at 2bis. Computers have fib models from 1-9fib, is that what you were thinking of, aramis?
Nope. I was wrong with the year, and you're wrong with the edition number...
1e HG is 79.

From page 29:
CT Bk-5-'79 said:
When selecting the computer for a ship, ship tonnage code must be equal to, or less than, the maximum ship size code given. The alternate model number for a computer refers to integral fibre optic back-up networks which are relatively unaffected by radiation damage. The alternate (fibre optic backup) model is available at a 50% increase in price. Bis (enhanced) models are excluded; their features may be calculated at double CPU capacity and double price at one tech level higher; bis models are not available with fibre optic back-up. In the combat rules in this booklet, they are treated as the unenhanced version. Letters to designate bis models range from R (1 bis) to X (7 bis).
Same Page, Table gives same stats as CT B2, but adding the the size maxima; I'm only restating those maxima and adding the tonnage of that size hull.
Model/1 size 6 (600 Td)
Model/2 size A (1 kTd)
Model/3 size D (4 kTd)
Model/4 size K (10 kTd
Model/5 Size P (50 kTd)
Model/6 size R (200 kTd)
Model/7 size Y (1 MTd)

Other interesting differences in design sequences from HG-79 include
Bay sizes: 10/50/100
A mechanically present but not stated as such assumption of 1 battery per 1000 Td of ship (since all weapons ratings are per 1000Td, except spinals)
Bk2 JDrives can add the jump governor to allow not gulping all the fuel in the tanks on jumping for 300 kCr, 1 Td, and TLA+ industrial world
FPP's can only be obtained at TL8+ industrial worlds.
Missile Magazines kCr10/ton, tonnage by missile battery size..., which then becomes a planetary bombardment factor...

Removing the missile magazines was a terrible mistake. Missile bays are such a versatile weapon that have very long range, require no power to operate, and (with nuclear warheads) punch way above their weight. They need the negative of limited supply. That's the one big thing they should not have dropped with the revision.

I'll ask. I can't remember what Ian used offhand.
Lets see.... The original model was made in Sketchup.
Rendered with Indigo I think, then farted about with in Photoshop with the lines exported from SU and opened in Illustrator so I can save as AI (vector based and higher rez you see)

The Map was drawn partly in SU so I can see the correct volumes. Opened in Illustrator and added all the detail etc etc.
Added some effects in Illustrator too.

Lets see.... The original model was made in Sketchup.
Rendered with Indigo I think, then farted about with in Photoshop with the lines exported from SU and opened in Illustrator so I can save as AI (vector based and higher rez you see)

The Map was drawn partly in SU so I can see the correct volumes. Opened in Illustrator and added all the detail etc etc.
Added some effects in Illustrator too.
So ... basically a hodgepodge of tools thrown in a blender to mix well, rather than being a single tool which did the job for you beautifully from beginning to end. In other words, a custom "one-off" type of effort, rather than something that can be downloaded and repeated relatively easily (or used as a tool for other deck plans relatively easily).

Back to the drawing board ... :confused:

Back