• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Animal Planet special "The Future is Wild"

Just as a heads up, the cable channel Animal Planet ran one of those CGI specials like "Walking with Dinosaurs" tonight--except what they did was a look at three periods of "future Earth" where they extrapolated evolutionary trends to detail life in the future. The two-hour special was called "The Future is Wild," and covered life on Earth at 5 million, 100 million, and 200 million years in the future (for the record, the "frame story" is than humanity has left and sent probes back to watch). Anyhow, some great ideas for creatures and planets. Some highlights:</font>
  1. 5 Million Years A.D.: The Earth is in a new ice age. In glacial Europe, sabretoothed-predators descended from wolverines hunt cattle-size rats. In the cold desert of the American midwest, 4-foot bats hunt for mole-like birds. In the dessicated Amazonian plains, the last primates--intelligent enough to weave baskets to catch fish--are hunted by 7-foot tall raptors that have regressed to some dinosaur-like characteristics.</font>
  2. 100 Million Years A.D.: A period of volcanic activity has turned Earth into a virtual waterworld, 75%+ shallow seas. Eastern Africa has broken away, hitting India and turning the Bay of Bengal into a huge Everglades-like swamp. Living there are octopi who can live up to 4 days on land to guard offspring raised in freshwater pools from accidental trampling from 100 ton tortises. In the seas, a 30-foot long jellyfish colony creature moves through specialized members who form sail-like structures (this was probably the most alien creature, although an extrapolation of the Portuguese Man-O-War). In one of the few mountain ranges, the last mammals, tiny mouse-like creatures, are "harvested" by spider colonies divided by caste that use webs to capture grass seeds to feed them.</font>
  3. 200 Million Years A.D.: Another round of volcanic activity has resulted in mass extinctions. Continental drift has merged the continents into a single land mass, dominated by desert. The vast single sea, wracked by "hypercanes" with 100-foot waves, are ruled by the ultimate sharks, hunting in packs, and 120-foot long squid. The deserts are dominated by termites living on fungi, and there is a vast underground ecosystem in the shallow aquifers in the limestone. And, in a valley in what was Europe, a huge rainforest is the home to elephant-like creatures descended from squid (eight-legged 16-ton creatures whose weight is supported not by bone, but the "stacked-ring" muscular structure of the tentacles) and a smaller arboreal species of squid, who live in roaming communities and demonstrate the first use of tools since humanity left...</font>
Anyhow, a great special, and should give plenty of ideas for Traveller games!

On a similar note, there was also a book (several years ago now, but might still be available) called After Man by Dougal Dixon, ISBN 0 246 11577 7, which put forward a similar scenario but only looked at a period 50 million years after mankind has vanished from the Earth.

Dangit, I have no idea when we're getting this in the UK, but it's kinda moot as I'm moving to Canada in about three weeks so I'll probably miss it completely :/. I hope it comes out on DVD, it sounds fantastic! (the http://www.futureiswild.com website is damn cool too).

Originally posted by Sulpicius:
(for the record, the "frame story" is than humanity has left and sent probes back to watch).
I got the impression from the website that humanity was supposed to be *extinct*, not departed - it would change the feel somewhat if humanity wasn't all long dead.

Nope, humanity's all left and settled "the other side of the galaxy," I think was how it was put. Actually, there's a weird scene of one of the probes actually emerging from a "wormhole" or something into Earth orbit (well, I guess if you're doing CGI anyway...).

I thought the 'squibbons' were very very cool, and would make an excellent minor race for Traveller. They are just a little bit creepy and a mixture of familiar/alien.

I know there are already some GURPS canon octopi, squid alien races, but they aren't really land-based if I recall correctly.

And they reminded me of the pentapods just a little...

I think the series is currently being shown in the UK on Sunday evenings at 6 p.m., although I think it's about finished now.

It will doubtless be repeated (like everything else).

Originally posted by BigBadRon:
I think the series is currently being shown in the UK on Sunday evenings at 6 p.m., although I think it's about finished now.
Bwuh?! Where? Is it on the basic Discovery channel or on Animal Planet over here?

Anyone have any idea when or if it might be playing in Canada? I saw an ad for it on an American channel piped here, but the network on which it actually played is not available. And it piqued my interest enough that I kept a close eye on the various "Croikey! He's a big one!" channels on the 1st and 2nd.

I'd actually consider buying on DVD sight unseen.

Originally posted by Paul_Drye:
Anyone have any idea when or if it might be playing in Canada? I saw an ad for it on an American channel piped here, but the network on which it actually played is not available. And it piqued my interest enough that I kept a close eye on the various "Croikey! He's a big one!" channels on the 1st and 2nd.

I'd actually consider buying on DVD sight unseen.
Do it, man!

BigBadRon was right, it was showing over here on Sundays, I got a friend of mine to tape them last week. Very good stuff. They do tend to recycle the same animations unfortunately, but what's there is good. Some very nifty critters there indeed (I saw the "Sharkopath Seas" and "Desert Runners" episodes, both set 200 million years from now in and around the supercontinent that forms when everything crashes together).

I'd like to know if it's showing in Canada too, since I'm moving over there in a couple of weeks time and might actually catch it. I suspect it will be on a Discovery Animal Planet channel though, since that's what it was on here. But failing that, I'll definitely get the DVD.

Back