• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Any new Halloween adventures this year?

Originally posted by Ran Targas:
What!?! Nobody does goth anymore!?! Guess the headlines are horror enough for most people.

Maybe next Halloween I'll run my infamous

:eek: "SYSTEM SHOCK AT THE GAS PUMP!" :eek:

That will definitely chill some souls!
file_22.gif
Could you please post any details about that adventure of yours? I am a great fan of the System Shock computer games, and that time of year is soon coming 'round again for you Christians (I'm a non-practicing Jew - but happy Thanksgiving for the lot of you, by the way, and happy Sukoth [sp in English?] to the Jewish part of our bunch).

[Considers reminding the Employee where Christianity was founded and pointing out that Halloween was originally a pagan festival...]

[Cosiders mentioning to Andrew Boulton that I was belitteling myself to a degree - as I sometimes do - and that my knowledge of Christianity is focused more on historical and general theological aspects (I studied several courses in Western Art, and Western Art was often heavily influenced by Christianity if not outright commited by the Church) and less on exact dates of holidays - though I know what Haloween is and of its roots in Samhain (sp?), the Celtic Eve of the Souls or something similar IIRC. I am sorry for embarrasin myself infront of the crowd :( ].

Anyhow, this is a fine time to delve back into horror adventures. As I've said in another thread, Twilight Peak could be easily added a Lovecraftian hue. You already have an altar which, in the adventure's "epic", is described as having "human bones" on it; you have a mysterious organization building strangely-shaped buildings at remote places (for distressed starfarers, or so they say), and a dormant alien base. You could change the base from an Ancients base into something more Cthulthuesque (Mi-Go? Elder Things?), and turn the Octagon Society into a cult build its altars over such ruins. The Octagon Society's founder might have come across Something in his 20-year stay in the wild, Something corrupting and utterly alien...
file_23.gif

I'm still thinking up this year's adventure; I will post it when it's ready. Any suggestions for a starting premise?

Originally posted by Ran Targas:
I'm still thinking up this year's adventure; I will post it when it's ready. Any suggestions for a starting premise?
Some ideas:

1) A colony on a new, frozen world (Size 4+, Atmosphere 1, Hydrographics 6+ but frozen) has accidentally found an Aboleth (from the D20 Fantasy SRD, practicallt a huge, deformed, subterran psionic fish, capable of zombifying its victims as well) in nearby caverns beneath the ice; contact is lost soon after.

2) In a TNE/TNE:1248 milieu, the players (star vikings? Indie Salvagers? 4th Imperium Navy/Scouts/Reconstruction Service?) are send to salvage a 5,000-dton science-cruiser once owned by one of the corps (before the Collapse), which is pretty intact and thus useful, not to mention potential TL16 artifacts inside. While the players might be expecting an active and insidious Virus, an early Suicider virus has inflicted partial damage to the ship's electronics, thus releasing very nasty "bio-experiments" who proceeded to devour the ship's crew and now lie dormant (they could hybernate for centuries if they want)... Until the PCs arrive, that is.

3) Contact has been lost with an underwater habitat/research-startion/mining-rig/domed-town on a water-world (Hydrographics 9 or 10, TL7+); the PCs are sent to investigate. The cause could be anything from nasty deep-sea creatures, through a submerged SDB infected by Virus (in a TNE/TNE:1248 milieu), through a sociopathic crewmember, to the crew uncovering a long-buried alien artifact on the ocean floor...

4) During a jump on a large luxury cruiser, a particularly nasty serial killer starts murdering crewmembers at an accelerating race - can the PCs stop him before he kills them or any important crewmember?

5) The inhabitants of a remore, low-tech (TL2-5, GOV 7) world believe that the local ruler (who lives in an isolated tower) is a nocturnal blood-sucker who preys on his subjects on moonless nights. The truth about him could be anything, from a mad scientist conducting hideous experiments away from the Imperial authorities, through a deranged psion, through a cultist offering blood-sacrifices to unkown gods, to "just" a sadistic ruler who abducts villagers to turture them for his pleasure.

6) The locals in a mid-tech world (TL5-7) are subject to random abductions by aliens who conduct hideous experiments on the abductees (and implant mind-control devices). The actual aliens might be Imperial (or Solomani) scientists looking for easy test-subjects, Hiver pawns out for a manipulation, Zhodani looking to take over that world, Droyne (they don't have a reason to do anything), or an entirely new minor race.

I am working on something where the scarecrows and mechanical harvesters come alive on a mid tech agricultural world. The culprit a rival megacorp who has place in stealth orbit a satellite that re-programs the equipment, so as to gain lucrative mining rights against the local government who insists on maintaining the world as an agricultural planet.

Another idea would be to ater the start of Chamax Plague. Instead of having the expdition's Launch drifting towards the sun (and having the PCs rescue it), have it rescued by a 5,000-dton Asteroid Mining Rig. Now, the catch is that a Maternal has stowed away on the damaged Launch; When communications are lost with the Rig, the PCs are sent to investigate...

Okay, here's my adventure (so far) for this year's game:

The PC's are approached by a respected broker to deliver a load of farm supplies to an out of the way colony. But there are some details that prevent him from using a "big named carrier" to make the delivery. First, the colonists are isolationists and strict neo-Ludites; as a result no technology may be used to complete the delivery. Second, to reduce the cultural impact of the delivery, the landing must be made well away from the actual settlement and the cargo moved by pre-industrial means (i.e. wagons and beast of burden to be provided by the colonists). Thirdly, the players can not display any technology away from their ship.

The contract is very lucrative as the farm supplies will cement a relationship for the brokerage and establish a source of several premium trade goods. The broker will insist the rules set down by the colony be agreed to before delivering the cargo to the ship, at penalty of full forfeiture of payment. Still, the money is worth it and the broker has more contracts waiting in the wings for a competent crew.

After a few jumps away from civilization, the ship arrives in orbit of a small blue green world. The broker has provided the frequency for a beacon, carefully placed at a prepared landing site. Shortly after the ship thunders in, a group of colonists arrive with several wagons and teams of whatever domestic animals would be appropriate. These colonists are all men, dressed in dark, conservatively cut clothing befit the chill in the air. If the PC's assist in transferring the cargo to the wagons (as is expected), they will find the men shy but not unfriendly. One in particular will strike up conversation and speak of his appreciation for the players' efforts. The PC's may also notice painful looking scars on some of the men's arms and faces, some missing whole digits or facially deformed. The marks are normally hidden quickly by the rim of a hat or the tug of a sleeve, and curtly dismissed as work related injuries if questioned.

The foreman of the teams does not have the payment. He states adamantly that the village elders will only pay after the cargo has been inspected. He implies that the PC's should wait at the landing site for a courier to return; it will only be a week. One of the men, the individual who has been most open with the players, will step forward and recommend the colonists invite the PC's back to the village, an offer which obviously upsets the foreman. The PC's should be made to feel something is afoot and it may be to their benefit to travel to the colony compound. But before they are allowed, the players must don traditional clothing and leave behind any technologies deemed heretical by the colonists. No air raft, no electrical devices, no weapons, unless they can be easily concealed.
file_22.gif

The journey to the colony requires crossing several ridges and valleys, a few days of travel. Never-the-less, the trip should leave the PC's with more questions than answers. Again, the colonists are generous with their food and additional cold weather clothing, but do not entertain in depth conversation. Even then, it is obvious that something is wrong. These men are fearful of the night and post guards where ever they camp. Bits of conversations overheard include references to a curse, demons, and night spirits. The man who originally made the offer to the PC's is witnessed being chastised by the foreman and several others for encouraging the PC's to tag along. This leads to him spending more time with them and eventually a quick explanation of what is going on.

The night before arriving in the village, a cold still has fallen on the camp. It is deathly quiet and the PC's can hear the animals are restless. The friendly colonist comes to the players with warm food and a long tale. He speaks of a curse that has fallen over his people. It began several years back after a particularly bad harvest. The villagers, hard pressed to survive the coming winter, decided to send an emissary to purchase the necessary food stuffs from the Imperium. The emissary never returned. Without outside assistance, the villagers were forced to survive off the land, eating whatever flora or fauna could be gathered. But the same conditions that caused the bad harvest had depleted the local area of game and vegetation. Circumstances became very dire and things were done to survive.

Now, during the darkest nights, when the cold wind blows from the north, the curse comes. Beds are found empty, despite locked doors and boarded windows. Those taken are sometimes found outside the village, strange marks carved into their skins, sometimes missing fingers, toes, eyes, ears, or even hands and feet. The wounds don't bleed. No one has escaped this fate, particularly those families who seemingly survived the famine by only the most mysterious of means.

Before he can finish his tale, the man is interrupted by the foreman and ordered back to his tent for the night.

Upon arrival in the village, the PC's are actively avoided by the majority of the villagers. There is a conspicuous absence of children and adolescents. An outrider warned the elders of the PC's arrival and they collect in the village square to greet the wagon train. The village itself resembles an old European town, the buildings fashioned from local timber, stone, and crude brick. A meeting hall sits at one end, opposite a large stone storage shed. All the villagers are clothed similarly and wear hooded cloaks against the weather. In an effort to speed the players on their way, the elders immediately begin examining the cargo; their haste is obvious and increases as the sun begins dips behind the surrounding mountains.

Darkness has already fallen and most of the villagers have retired to their homes when the elders finish. The PC's are given their payment and quickly ushered toward the gate. Only after their friend steps in are they offered food and shelter for the night. He leads them to a stone barn where a meal has been laid out for them his wife, both of whom stay to enjoy the meal and fellowship. She uses her hair to cover a large scar on her neck.

During the night, the weather worsens and a driving rain begins to fall. At the first sounds of thunder, the PC's are awoken by muffled screams. The wife staggers into the barn and cries out that her husband is missing.

I will post the rest later. Anyone is welcome to finish it from here in their own way; I would just appreciate a chance to see what their work.

Back