• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MT Only: Are there more enhanced characters than in the Players' Manual?

Hello!

After a very long time I'm firing up a new MT Campaign.

My question is, if there are other official/inofficial enhanced character
generations other than in the Players' Manual.

And if so, were could I find them. :)

Thanks for your help!

I can only remember IRIS (Imperial Regency Intelligence and Security) in Challenge #34. But beware IRIS is non-canonical for OTU, being just a variant.

Maybe there are some (as house rules) in the File Library of this same board...

You're welcome (and also to the board, BTW)

Rob Prior did a bunch in his HyperCard Character generator stack, don't know if there is a dead tree version of those.

I can only remember IRIS (Imperial Regency Intelligence and Security) in Challenge #34. But beware IRIS is non-canonical for OTU, being just a variant.

Maybe there are some (as house rules) in the File Library of this same board...

What is the behind-the-scenes story with IRIS development? What happened there...

Someone did an article in Challenge about a spy agency, it was popular, it wasn't "official", but IRIS did get mentioned in one or two TAS bulletins. I believe in Arrival: Vengeance it mentioned that there were a lot of IRIS spooks hanging out with Margaret. Survival Margin had Strephon pondering "and who is this IRIS? You might have thought I would have heard of them."

And then Virus came...

IRIS was outlined in Challenge 33 and then it had rules for advanced chargen in 34. Or maybe it was 34/35. If you don't have a copy, use one of the advanced generation sequences from the players manual and substitute relevant skills.

There were 3 branches, strike, covert, and I think office stafff but they had a cooler name. Strike teams were sneaky marines, covert were undercover guys with sneaky skills, office staff had more admin skills than the others.

DGP's Vilani and Vargr say Vilani use all careers in the Players book with 2 modification. 1 easy mod, 1 major one to reflect the caste system of Vilani culture.
The hard one:
When rolling for commisions, promotions, or appointments to special duty: if roll 4+ higher than the needed roll you get you get a skill roll and roll again. If you get the needed number you get a second skill roll
For the first term roll normally. After the first term Pick 1 of your acquired skills from those received. This is your specialty.
From now on you may trade in 2 random skill rolls for an automatic level in your specialty.
If you go for rolling the skill and get a cascade, look at the group. You may pick your specialty if it is there or a skill you do not have. Only when you have chosen all the non-specialties in the group can you raise up a non-specialty another level. Your specialty ignores this restriction.
If you don't like the choices or levels, you may reroll. You must accept what you get BUT if is the same cascade you can stack this time around without keeping the levels even.

The easy one:
A character may stay in a career as long as you like. No roll needed. You only roll when you want to retire to see if you are forced to stay.

The idea is that you are intentionally a one trick pony. You might know stuff, but are encouraged to stay with what you know

What is the behind-the-scenes story with IRIS development? What happened there...

Chuck Gannon created the agency and, with permission (since he was or would shortly become the Traveller Line Editor), injected it into the ongoing Rebellion arc. It was originally introduced as a variant, however, so the reactions to it becoming official were... mixed.

When he moved on and Dave Nilsen took over, the agency was discredited by Strephon (for the reader) as noted above.

As an extension of the subjective truths discussed in the MT Imperial Encyclopedia it was an interesting gambit. I disliked the idea at the time, but the arc played out well in the end.

Hello!

After a very long time I'm firing up a new MT Campaign.

My question is, if there are other official/inofficial enhanced character
generations other than in the Players' Manual.

And if so, were could I find them. :)

Thanks for your help!
There are about half a dozen in the JTAS (IRIS, which could be adapted to any spook service), Police, Journalists, Skyport Authority and one or two others.

Freelance traveller published a few IIRC, and you might find some fanon on the traveller wiki.

Thank you all for all the information!

I'll check the sites and magazines in the next days.

The IRIS tip is very usefull for my adventure I'm planing right now.
I'm thinking about making an IRIS patron.

The players are tricked into a backwater system. They "inherit" a Beowulf
Free Trader. What they don't know, the ship is stranded on an asteroid,
jump drive broken, some holes in the hull ect. The required repairs could be
made at a repair facility in the system... under control of IRIS. ;)

IRIS thinks, there are some valuble information hidden in the ships database.
And while repairing the ships the computers on board could be scaned
without attracting much attention....

There are other factions also interested in the ship. So IRIS "hires" the players,
leans back and watches carefully. :D

Back