• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Assignments, Mercenary & Navy

Note that this is from LBB:6 by which time the rulebooks are written specifically for the Imperial setting.

LBB:4 was still a generic rulebook, the Imperium being a vague notion of an empire in the background, the character generation tables allow for referee flexibility in defining which army the character is from (a bit odd that every army has exactly the same branches and rank structure, but hey ho).

LBB:5 was where the idea of dedicated Imperial force character generation makes it into the game, you try for the IN, SN or PN with different enlistment rolls, an idea which may have made sense to retcon into LBB:4.

Vietnam - from the US perspective it began as a training mission, became a police action, moved up to a counter insurgency and then a full blown war.

Mike, this is a brilliant insight (for me anyway, because I am more dense than most).

This puts many of the things I have worked on in a more clear context. What is better, it fits my assumptions so I don't have to go back and change stuff again. So, thanks!

Mike, this is a brilliant insight (for me anyway, because I am more dense than most).

This puts many of the things I have worked on in a more clear context. What is better, it fits my assumptions so I don't have to go back and change stuff again. So, thanks!

I looked up the stats on Army, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard, USAF & USMM losses in 'Nam. The survival rolls for Army, Navy and Marine, are pretty close to all-service numbers in Bk 2. They're within round-up error. Scouts look kind of like USCG in-theater, rather than whole service. USMM wasn't in useful data.

Bk 4 is likely drawn from the specific theater numbers... and based upon the 1-year duty tours of the 'Nam era.

I looked up the stats on Army, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard, USAF & USMM losses in 'Nam. The survival rolls for Army, Navy and Marine, are pretty close to all-service numbers in Bk 2. They're within round-up error. Scouts look kind of like USCG in-theater, rather than whole service. USMM wasn't in useful data.

Bk 4 is likely drawn from the specific theater numbers... and based upon the 1-year duty tours of the 'Nam era.

Ok, now I'd really love to see a compare and contrast with some different era's of recent US military history. Say the 90's Grenada/Panama/GW1 stretch and the recent Iraq/Afghanistan. Talk about inherent assumptions!

D.

Back