• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

ATV module

DrSkull

SOC-14 1K
In my Traveller Universe, a 30-ton cutter module dedicated to landing vehicles on planet surfaces can carry 22 tons of vehicles, not just 1 10-ton ATV and there's nothing any of you can do to stop me.

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

No, the Cutter is 50 tons, it's only the replaceable module that is 30 tons. A fuel module, for example, carries 30 tons of fuel.

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

i say more power to you. it makes more sense to allow it to carry 2 ATVs, plus it makes the assault cutter a more effective platform if it can drop more than 1 ATV.

IMTU, i take a standard merc cruiser, rip out 9 of the staterooms, replace one with beefed up life support equipment and 6 with BUNKROOMS. the last 2 become a crew lounge.

stack 'em 2 high and you can get 12 men per bunkroom. stack 'em 3 high and get 18. keep in mind that naval troop ships stack 'em FOUR high. i'm being kind to the grunts, really.

in this config, a Broadsword can carry a full company of infantry, 3 rifle platoons and a weapons platoon. with 2 ATVs per assault cutter, the 2 cutters can drop a full platoon at a time, the whole company in just 4 round trips.

3 rifle platoon with fire support from a weapons platoon and the vehicle mounted weapons from 12 ATVs makes for kick ass merc engagements! bet you didn't know PC stood for Piled Corpses?

[This message has been edited by phydaux (edited 03 December 2001).]

[This message has been edited by phydaux (edited 03 December 2001).]

...besides, if the crew/squad is ONLY dropping from orbit to dirtside in the cutter/mudule...couldn't they simply ride in the atv's?...

isn't there a ruling about how fast a grav only vehicle can drop srom orbit, vs. a powered, streamlined ship? how long would it taks a grav APC or grav tank to drop from orbit? what about an assult cutter?

anyone know the referance?

In CT an air/raft could reach orbit in 1 hour per Size code of the planet, was that what you were thinking of?

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

no, i was thinking a drop from orbit. you'd think it would be the same, though, wouldn't you.

so, on an earth size planet, it would take a grav APC 8 hours to drop from orbit. kind of sucks for a combat incertion, don't you think?

<thinking out loud> If you use the space shuttle as an example, (yah, i know its not a-grav) returning from orbit is effectively falling, a controlled drop...a very big, heavy, brick...it's not until the near end of reintry that the thing becomes a glorified glider right?

...but with power?...especially a-grav?...what about 1/2 the time to come down?...so, if it takes an air raft 1 hour per size of the planet to orbit, then 30 minutes coming down?...

thing is, though, that's what you want in a combat situation. a fast, brick-like drop with a blood-vessel popping stop at the end. nice, quick incertion into a hot LZ.

Your reference to the space shuttle prompted me
to look at a the real-world example, and ample
information about the shuttle is available online.
This example contains information from: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/station/stage5a1/fdf/102entry.html

The three de-orbit maneuver contingency plans each
listed on the site (of which I provide the first example below)
seems to indicate that from the moment the shuttle
initiates a deorbit burn, the time is just a little
more than 1 hour. This may change based on other
factors, but you are free to continue to explore
this at your leisure.

ex. 1 (from the aforementioned website)

Rev 201 Deorbit to KSC
01:25:57AM Deorbit inginition
01:27:08AM TDRS acquistion of signal
01:28:53AM Deorbit burn complete
01:59:47AM Entry interface
02:04:42AM 77-degree left roll command
02:15:35AM 59-degree roll reversal
02:24:58AM Velocity less than mach 2.5
02:27:08AM Velocity less than mach 1
02:27:47AM Shuttle on the HAC
02:31:25AM Landing

Elapsed time in the above example, 1 hour, 5 minutes,
28 seconds.

Hope that that helps.

Regards,
Larry

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy, and can be seasoned by a wide variety of tasty condiments."

"Who's your Daddy?"

[This message has been edited by DaddyDragon (edited 10 January 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrSkull:
In my Traveller Universe, a 30-ton cutter module dedicated to landing vehicles on planet surfaces can carry 22 tons of vehicles, not just 1 10-ton ATV and there's nothing any of you can do to stop me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The original limit was due to a problem of Artistic License, anyway. The original 10-ton ATV is a monster, with a "real" volume closer to 20 tons...

Back