• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Auto Rifles and ACRs in vacum

The one thing I dislike about ACRs is the small ammo capacity. Maybe if they put it up to 30-40?

I don't know Jame, you could but I think if you haven't concluded the firefight after 20 rounds (bullets not time) you need more than a few more bullets. You probably need(ed) some heavier fire support or a faster exit plan. And of course you could swap in a new magazine if it's a matter of suppression fire and movement as a team.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tucker2:
Reason I ask is that in Mercenary, you could shoot mags from assault rifles through your trusty ACR, had some blurb about how you used asault rifle DMs or some such. For my players it made it possible to afford ammo-- early on.
Emm, LBB4 doesn't say that ACRs can use AR mags/ammo.
It says that locals often produce slug rounds for the ACR which should be treated as AR rounds on the weapon matrices.
Note that this would be a 9mm slug :eek:
</font>[/QUOTE]Well I was close. This goes back to the caseless ammo thing, since it's unlikely a lower TL local source is going to be able to produce the ammo.

How about the other side of the coin? Would high pressure have some effect?

Part of this Sunday's adventure will take place on planet sporting a very dense, mildly corrosive atmosphere with a high temperature (Carbon dioxide, Nitrogen with trace amounts of oxygen, and sulfuric gases @ 30 Atmospheres and about 400 degrees F /204 Celsius). I know that the weapons will suffer do to the corrosive atmo. but how would the high pressure or temperature effect weapons like shotguns and ACRs?
:confused:

The heat would be a problem with sustained rapid-fire from the ACR. Seizure problems would occur if the weapon couldn't cool down. (And, this will be exacerbated by the corossive atmosphere.)

Gunpowder is going to cook off. According to one site, it ignited (in an experiment) at 189 degrees (C), a bit below your atmosphere. Another (maybe more reliable) website says black powder goes off at 600 (F), while guncotton goes off at 300 (F).

Of course, lead melts at 600+ (F), so your bullets might actually melt together if the powder doesn't cook off.

BTW, I hope your characters are wearing thick gloves, as a source says a metal surface at 140(F) will cause a minimum of first degree burns in direct contact. Sounds fun.
file_23.gif

Oh, and switching to a laser isn't going to be much better. The refraction in that hot of a dense atmosphere is going to be atrocious (IMHO). Also, the corrosive atmosphere will etch the lense - disrupting the coherence of the beam.

Heh.

Originally posted by Parmasson:
Hmmm . . . two full rounds on automatic and BLAM!
Ouch
file_23.gif

Thanks
Actually I figure each round of autofire would have a 50% chance (+10% per continous rounds of autofire) of running away. That means that the weapon will continue to fire uncontrollably until the ammunition supply is interrupted. By running out of ammo, normally, or in a machinegun, by the AG (assistant gunner) breaking the belt. As this is an uncontrolled firing it would provide no additional damage or accuracy as most of the rounds will expend in a less than optimal direction. (Usually high and away, which in an enclosed environment is a problem but outside is less of a problem.)

Back