• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Battery technology

nobby-w

SOC-13
https://www.army.mil/article/221700/

Claimed capacity figures equate to approx. 1.6kj/g energy density. Compare to TNT at approximately 4.2kj/g. 40g (approximately the weight per round of a 7.62mm bullet including magazine) is about 65kj. Some quick and dirty maths suggests that this could vapourise 1 mol of water and expand it to about 0.05m3, which is a pretty decent steam explosion.

Note that assumes a 100% conversion efficiency in a hypothetical energy weapon. However, it does suggest that this energy density is enough to power a man-portable energy weapon if such a technology was developed.

Petrol/gasoline has ten times the energy density of TNT at 46.4 kj/g...

batteries have a very long way to go before they can offer an energy storage capacity that comes anywhere near the energy storage of a chemical fuel.

Liquid hydrogen 141.9 kj/g - there is a reason it is used as rocket fuel :)

https://www.army.mil/article/221700/

Claimed capacity figures equate to approx. 1.6kj/g energy density. Compare to TNT at approximately 4.2kj/g. 40g (approximately the weight per round of a 7.62mm bullet including magazine) is about 65kj. Some quick and dirty maths suggests that this could vapourise 1 mol of water and expand it to about 0.05m3, which is a pretty decent steam explosion.

Note that assumes a 100% conversion efficiency in a hypothetical energy weapon. However, it does suggest that this energy density is enough to power a man-portable energy weapon if such a technology was developed.

It sounds like a paper written to make sure that they keep their funding. Beyond that, they have one very long way to go. Lithium is still not the safest metal to use in a battery, otherwise you would not see the Postal Service refuse to ship them.

When you get the =really= energy-dense power cells, then you get the oft-mentioned SF trope of secret agents and special forces types knowing how to short-circuit them for improvised grenades! :CoW:

Petrol/gasoline has ten times the energy density of TNT at 46.4 kj/g...

batteries have a very long way to go before they can offer an energy storage capacity that comes anywhere near the energy storage of a chemical fuel.

Liquid hydrogen 141.9 kj/g - there is a reason it is used as rocket fuel :)
Of course if you don't have to carry your oxidiser around with you then you get much more energy per kg. The article is not discussing an air-breathing fuel cell technology so I really shouldn't have to spell this sort of thing out.

By comparison a mobile phone extender pack like the one I had has 6x18650 cells, weighing about 45g each with a capacity of about 250kj in total. This comes to about 1kj/g or about 2/3 of the density claimed for the technology in the article. That's the state of the art available off the shelf today.

By comparison a mobile phone extender pack like the one I had has 6x18650 cells, weighing about 45g each with a capacity of about 250kj in total. This comes to about 1kj/g or about 2/3 of the density claimed for the technology in the article. That's the state of the art available off the shelf today.

Does it work? I have bought my wife two. One simply never worked, while one did. You could say that I have a somewhat jaundiced view of them.

Back