• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Best of the best?

Hi! I've been absent for a long time both from CotI and from Traveller for various reasons. Ok, just for one reason, my group didn't want to play GURPS I used to run GT and MgT1e didn't catch as MgT2e has.

Thing is, I'm not familiar with Traveller products as the usual poster over here. So I started reading threads about which books should I use and so. It seems to me that there are some best of the best of Traveller across editions, I know this is a matter of taste, but as far as I know, or as I've read, books like G:Far Trader, MgT: Alien Module 4 - Zhodani, T4: Pocket Empires, TNE:Fire, Fusion & Steel are the best in their fields. Right?

I'd like to keep my Traveller as canon as it could be, but with this in mind: which are those best of the best that I should be aware of?

I don't know if this is the right place for this thread, I don't pretend to start any flame, nor any edition warring. I'm honestly asking for advice. So any information you give me I'll be thankful for.

Thanks in advance.

Buy the CT cd rom from FFE.

As to the best of the best, people will have their own opinions - some really like TNE FF&S because of the detail, others hate it as too crunchy.

There are three books I always have on my table during play - MegaTraveller's Imperial Encyclopedia, T4's Central Supply Catalogue and T4's Emperor's Arsenal.

Books I refer to on a regular basis:
the CT cd rom
T4 Pocket Empires
T4 Imperial Squadrons
TNE FF&S
T5

Buy the CT cd rom from FFE.

As to the best of the best, people will have their own opinions - some really like TNE FF&S because of the detail, others hate it as too crunchy.

There are three books I always have on my table during play - MegaTraveller's Imperial Encyclopedia, T4's Central Supply Catalogue and T4's Emperor's Arsenal.

Books I refer to on a regular basis:
the CT cd rom
T4 Pocket Empires
T4 Imperial Squadrons
TNE FF&S
T5
Which Traveller edition do you use at your table? I'll be using MgT2e as a base, but we're running a merchant centered campaign, so I added my good old GT:Far Trader instead of the commerce rules on MgT2e.

Also, I don't mind to read other editions books, but I started on 1105 and I plan to run thru Rebellion. I'll deal with the Virus when it's time. In the meantime, what I want to say is, isn't T4 "old" material as it referes to Milieu 0?

I think that I need a guide All Things Imperium.

I use a homebrew based on cherry picking what I think are the best bits from the various Traveller iterations.
Character generation is mostly CT+S4 CotI (houserules - enlisted ranks can roll for promotion; careers with no rank structure get 2 skills per term)
Tasks - roll 2d, target number 8+ or 12+, bonn/bane die from MgT2e (encourages role playing)
Combat - T4/MgT mash up - armour reduces damage

T4 is an historical setting, but a lot of the rules material can be used in any era. Emperor's Arsenal for example has weapons all the way to TL16 and a few beyond that.

which are those best of the best that I should be aware of?

there is no "best". there is only your game and your style, and the material that supports that game and style. ask what the various systems, books, and supplements do, and then you'll know what to get for your game.

most people use various components from various systems and cobble them together into their own way of doing business. you should expect to wind up doing the same.

I think that I need a guide All Things Imperium.

perhaps just a little corner of it, to start.

most people use various components from various systems and cobble them together into their own way of doing business.

CT LBBs 1-3 + Metamorphosis Alpha + Stars Without Number + Starfaring + Space Quest + Starships & Spacemen + Gamma World + Warriors of Mars + Terminal Space + X-Plorers + Space Patrol...

Maybe I need to join a support-group.

:rofl:

most people use various components from various systems and cobble them together into their own way of doing business.

That way lies madness.

So says the guy whose house rules essentially comprise a wholly new edition, and is in the process of turning it into a full-up book. Yeah, this guy.

That way lies madness.

So says the guy whose house rules essentially comprise a wholly new edition, and is in the process of turning it into a full-up book. Yeah, this guy.

My opinion only of course, but I think it only leads to madness if you lose control and consistency in application of the rules.

Get the Ref!

What makes one system better over another is the Referee. If you, the Referee are passionate in your preparation, delivery, consistency and reactivity to PC actions, then that system is the one your players will enjoy.

I ran Mongoose 1E for over a year online and my players ran the Fifth Frontier War with much fun, near-death, political intrigue, social issues, racial tensions, psionic and cybernetic predjudice, and plenty of Travelling.

And once your reign of Referee of the game is done, the story need not stop there. Take your campaign to the writer's desk and continue the plots knowing you already have a cast, affinities and antipathies, protagonist(s) and villain(s).

Your game is going to be judged not by the system but by the time and energy you spend as its Referee.

Live via satellite in orbit over Roethoeegaeaegz, this is the Pakkrat for Net-7 News.

Ok, ok. I got it.

Well... more or less.

But, if I want some deep in the trade side of the game, isn't (AFAIK) G:Far Trader one of the best books on the issue?

And, is out there a better book than Pocket Empires when planning long (loooong) term campaigns with development involved?

I understand that I could pick Snapshot, High Azhanti Lightning or At Close Quarters for combat, and it would be more of a matter of taste. But for what I've read on the forum, there seem to be some books with higher quality (on their own fields) than the rest!

Or did I got it all wrong?

I have two problems at hand. One is that none my players read English fluently, so I have to translate/read aloud every piece of setting (rules are usually easier to get). The other is that I don't have the time (though I do have the disposition) to read every alien book, every Merchant Prince iteration, etc., and, as for the first problem, I'm alone when deciding which one to pick for I have none other players to assist me.

So, if read over and over again, that there are some diamonds among rubble I'm only asking for a guide, so when the time comes to read something about the Aslan I'll be able to skip either CT: AM2 Aslan, or MT: Solomani & Aslan, or MgT: TI - AM1 Aslan.

I understand that, as with everything in life, there are things that just are matter of taste, but it doesn't seem so with certain books (i.e. Pocket Empires, or the depiction of MgT: Aslans).

Ok, ok. I got it.

Well... more or less.

But, if I want some deep in the trade side of the game, isn't (AFAIK) G:Far Trader one of the best books on the issue?
Depends upon what you want out of a Trade game... it's cumbersome to use inside the marches, and outside the marches, a royal pain, because it uses a LOT of math. Not Hard math, but a lot of math. (Much of which is already done for the marches.)

It doesn't actually account for things in a manner entirely consistent with canon, either, being based upon the gravity model, a model built using instant communications with all lag on the delivery end, and it provides LESS useful data for making cargo runs interesting than does MegaTraveller...

If I'm running or playing, I'd much rather use the much less simulation-obsessed MT, MGT1 or T20 systems... because a merchant game isn't about the money as much as it is about the difficulties around the cargo.

If you want an "economics heavy" game then, yes, GT:FT is a good choice. I'd most likely use Suns of Gold from Stars Without Number because it's trade system is specifically designed to create adventures.

And, is out there a better book than Pocket Empires when planning long (loooong) term campaigns with development involved?

While PE is the closest thing to ACKS Traveller currently has, it's time scale is generational. Changes and results take place over decades. PE is fun, but it's a different kind of fun. High level fun for lack of a better phrase.

I understand that I could pick Snapshot, High Azhanti Lightning or At Close Quarters for combat, and it would be more of a matter of taste. But for what I've read on the forum, there seem to be some books with higher quality (on their own fields) than the rest!

They're all good choices if you want a combat focused campaign.

Or did I got it all wrong?

You haven't got it wrong and you're correct in thinking some products are better than others. The point we're all trying to make is that you need to decide on a campaign focus and then choose books which support that focus.

For example, my players were wargamers. We regularly used Mayday for routine parts of the game like flying out to the jump limit. We enjoyed that so it added to our games. Others would find that tedious and doing what we did would detract from their game. Neither type of game was better and neither was worse, but each suited the needs of the group in question.

So, what sort of game are your players interested in? Are they more interested in trade than gun play? Then select a detailed trade system and go with a less detailed combat system. If they enjoy gun play, flip the emphasis.

Take your questions regarding the Aslan as another example. Will the campaign feature them in any way? How often will your players actually interact with them? If the Aslan aren't going to be a central part of the campaign, you needn't worry about them that much.

You don't need the "best" book on each topic because "best" usually means "more detailed/more work". You'll end up drowning in the details and bogging down in work rather than focusing on having fun by playing the game.

Seeing as you'll be acting as a translator too, I'd buy the FFE CT CD-ROM. You'll get (almost) all of the classic version of the game for the price of one book. With all that in hand, you'll be able to pick and choose just what aspects you want to spend your time on and just what aspects you can leave vague.

You're going to have to make choices. You're going to have to decide what you need to concentrate on and what you can let slide. Your players can and should help you make those decisions. They need to tell you what sort of a game they're interested in so you can then tailor your game to meet their needs.

Good luck!

All right, it was me missing pieces of the puzzle, and it was one in my hand all the time!

Maybe my question should have been "Which are the best books for my campaign?", sorry for the misdirections.

So, my players are truly interested on building something. Something big and longing. We usually refere to the campaign as "the settlement campaign" because well... it was two inches away of being a fantasy game very Birthright-ish but probably with Greg Stolze's Reign or ACKS (we actually give ACKS a try or two).

We settle (pun intented) with Traveller, the Marches being the most logical choice (not IN the Imperium but not Trojan Reachs, Far Frontiers...) though might not the best, they don't have a clue about the metaplot (one of my players used to be in my GT campaign, so he's mostly lost in 1105) so I envision something of "this is happening what you're planning to do?".

The campaign revolves around the first days of a corporation. The group consider themselves entrepeneurs, willing to make legit profit, building a manufacturing base at some point and exploring new travel routes. For what I pick from their conversations, they expect some Megacorp to be some sort of enemy in the long run, someone you can't beat but keep at bay.

Though they've repeteadly told me that combat isn't an issue, MgT2 combat appeared insubstantial, so I'll give them a taste of ACQ and we'll see how hardcore we go (one of my players is a long time wargamer, another is an amateur and the other two abhors maths so...).

As we're only 3 sessions into the game (we plan to run a long campaign), as everyone agreed about this being something in the long, long run, generational indeed, we've even talked about changing the whole thing into a colony game very much like Battlestar Galactica.

Things that I expect to appear? Trade, a lot of trade. I don't want to fall into a golden pair hole because my players are looking for good trade routes, so I don't see it as the most appropiate system (though may be wrong), plus I have almost everything from GT. Also, Aslans to compete with, and depending on their actions when the Fifth Frontier War kicks in, Vargr + Zhodani. Sworld Worlders are seen as an enemy. I don't pretend to make the Ancients a center issue, so no problems that way. Yesterday I received the first questions about terraforming and how long does it take, I knew it was just a matter of time, but I'm completely lost with this in Traveller, are there any rules? I love space combat. They know my love for space combat. So there will be space combats. For sure. I'll throw them, for sure, into Rebellion, but I still haven't make a choice with the Virus, but we could make to 1248 easily, so...

We're going for a generational campaign, creating a corporation (or maybe settling a system) and then facing issues, some of them in the short run, some of them in the long run. One of the things we've decided to do is retiring PCs and keep playing with future generations as they confront new problems for the corporation/system.

And know I'm afraid of rereading my post. Oh my...

Please, don't get me wrong, it's just that Traveller is huge, I love it but I'm afraid of mismanaging my books, my time and my players game.

Once again, thanks for taking your time to answer my questions!!

Ok, for the game you describe I would recommend:

T4 Pocket Empires and possibly Imperial Squadrons if they are likely to make it all the way to fleet vs fleet combat.
TNE World Tamers Handbook for rules on developing colonies.

Before I recommend 'the best' ship combat or personal combat (IMHO of course) I have a question, do your players want to wargame space and ground battles, role play their way through them, or a bit of a mix of each?

Please, don't get me wrong, it's just that Traveller is huge, I love it but I'm afraid of mismanaging my books, my time and my players game.

You want too much out of one campaign.

You're operating on all sorts of different levels, high, middle, and low. You want to play a high level generational, build/develop a company, economic game which has turns measured in years and have it mesh with very low level ACQ personal combat game with turns measured in seconds. Plus space combat. Plus nearly every alien Major Race. Plus the 5th Frontier War. And the Rebellion. And terraforming. And a bag of chips apparently.

Pocket Empire, the closest thing Traveller currently has to ACKS, has turns measured in years. The PCs make high level decisions which effect high level things like diplomacy, treaties, trade, fleets, armies, strategic warfare, and planetary development.

In PE it can take a decade or century to upgrade a world's starport. Are you going to play out every day in all those years? After your players make a high level decision regarding RU allotments, are you going to make them slog through 365 low level days before they can see the results?

GT:Far Trader has rules for corporations, stocks, and other "build a company" type play. Turns, actions, choices, and results there are measured in years and months too. Again, are you going to play all the day-to-day or week-to-week level sessions while your players wait the in-game months and years necessary for the consequences of their decisions to result?

You're trying to do too much across too wide a scale. Your group includes wargamers, right? Ask them if they'd like to play Advanced Third Reich with it's quarterly turns and army/corps-level units meshed through Advanced Squad Leader with it's turns measured in minutes and individual leaders, squads, tanks, artillery pieces, and what not?

Trying to do too much is a well know problem with RPGs generally and Traveller specifically. The first thing anyone does when they get their hands on LBB:3 or GT:First In is roll up a sector or more with hundreds, if not thousands, of worlds. They bury themselves so deeply in preparation that they end up not playing the game at all.

There's some wise advice from CT which says that two subsectors can provide years of play. Heed that advice. Pick a level of play and stick to it. If your players are building a corporation, you're not going to need the detailed personal combat found in ACQ. If your players are flying trade routes, they'll be working for someone else who is building a corporation and detailed economic rules won't be needed.

You want a campaign which is long, far ranging, and manageable while also featuring trade, combat, and the Aslan? This is what you need to do.

There's a substance grown in the Marches called Dustspice. You can read about it here. Both the Aslan and Vargr covet it greatly because it acts as an euphoric for them. It can be produced artificially which helped meet demand, but the real stuff is still highly prized and the best is harvested on Romar/Glisten. Another variety is harvested on Keanou/Lanth and it's coveted only slightly less.

There are Aslan in the Darrian Confederation. While they can be found on most worlds there, their biggest numbers are on Roget/Darrian. Like their brethren in the Heirate - but much closer - the Aslan in the Confederation will pay very well for Dustspice from Romar and Kenaou.

Someone who can set up a regular import from Romar and/or Keanou to Roget could make a lot of money. So much so that someone should have done it before your players thought of the idea. So, what's happened?

Someone (or several someones) either with money, muscle, political influence, or all three has cornered the market on Romar and Keanou. Dustspice is still exported from those worlds. It just doesn't make it to the Confederation anymore. Every lot sold ends up in the Heirate or Extents.

Your players, either on their own or at the behest of a patron, are going to travel to Romar and/or Keanou to find out who's cornered the market and figure out how the monopoly can be broken. They're going to break into the market, begin exports of Dustspice to Roget again, and then defend that new trade against whatever consequences arise.

The play in this campaign occurs on pretty much the same level throughout. This campaign will give your players a plausible reason to crisscross a big chunk of the Marches. This campaign will give your players a plausible reason to meet and interact with the Aslan and Vargr. Most importantly, this campaign is manageable.

You're not going to drown in prep work. You're not going to over burden yourself. You're not going to be juggling and translating dozens of books. Your players' actions will have both immediate and long term consequences. Your players will be working towards a long term goal but they'll be dealing with near term events.

Buy the CT CD-ROM from FFE. It's all you'll need.

Good luck.

Honestly? I don't know for sure.

I specially dislike games with "blank turns" and MgT approach have resulted in a "I take three minor actions this turn to aim, the next turn I'll take a minor action to aim again and then will shoot" with, apparently nothing else to do. Next Wednesday we've all agreed to test ACQ, because they usually want to do something else in combat than dodge and attack.

Space combat is something tricky. I know they all want something to do, even if is just jamming comms and alike, but I still don't know what do they think about real naval battles with multiple ships, or just how long is too long for a space battle in game. I don't know if I'm projecting the right idea about Traveller combat, but I see it more like a submarine approach, honestly, I don't know why.

What I can tell you is that they love choices. A combat system where your choices have an impact on what is happening around the PC will be gold, for ground and for space combat.

Is this of any help?

Ok, I understand that it may sound preposterous when written, but we have a clearer intent on what to do.

Yes, we pretend to play at different levels. On the preceding discussions about what to play and how, we decided to run from the low levels and, at certain points, jump to higher levels of play.

First, we'll establish the foundations of the corporations through a typical PC level of play, a couple of months or so running adventures, one on one problems, etc. Second, when certain stages have been reached, we'll fast foward years, if there's a system (like PE) to control what's happening, great, if it's not, we'll decide on what could have happen, then we'll "stop" time to play specific problems around the corporation/system with new PCs.

So yes, I want to add all of those things in my campaign, I just don't want to add it all of them in the same session the same day.

Do I want to run through the FFW? Yes. I'll use to shake the unexpected players with troubles all around. Nine years later, when we'll probably be playing a high level game, we'll stop for Rebellion, and so.

You may be right, I may be biting more than I can chew, but honestly I don't think so (once again, I could be wrong). In the op I was asking for advice about which books pick because I've read all over the forum how certain books are far from desirable, and how other keep it closer to the Traveller feel. I'm aware that no one will knock down my door if I use MgT Aslans and explain them as catlike people or if I represent vargrs as ronin wolves with double katanas. I just wanted some advice on cherry picking, I didn't want to transmit the idea of me running the whole Traveller universe single-handed in one session.

I still don't get which are the flaws you see in our campaign. I get it, it's huge. We want huge.

And excuse me if I sound too aggressive, as English is not my first language, sometimes I have difficulties conveying a message with a feeling. I'm not angry and I don't pretend to belittle your advice, far from that. In fact, I didn't know about Dustspice and sounds pretty awesome for our campaing.

What I can tell you is that they love choices. A combat system where your choices have an impact on what is happening around the PC will be gold, for ground and for space combat.

At Pocket Empire's scale you don't aim a gun or jam comms. You don't have a gun or even individual ships.

You build ground and air forces along spaceship and starship fleets plus deep space depots. All those units have attack and defense ratings while only some will have transport and jump ratings too.

You decide what to build. You decide where and when to use it. When combat occurs, a PC can somewhat effect the outcome if they succeed at their Tactical Advantage roll.

Build as fleet described in all of four numbers. Decide where to send it. Decide when to fight. Roll to see if you can partially effect combat. That's it.

Imperial Squadrons uses the same system.

Don't get me wrong. PE is lots of fun. It's 4X fun - explore, expand, exploit, exterminate. It isn't First Person Shooter fun, however. It isn't "Everyone had something to do nearly most of the time" fun.

And excuse me if I sound too aggressive, as English is not my first language, sometimes I have difficulties conveying a message with a feeling.

Please be assured. You have not come across in any way as aggressive and your English is excellent. I've found this topic fascinating and thought provoking. Thank you for starting it.

If you and your group want huge, then go for huge. The only thing that matters is what you and your group want. Go for huge. Play big. Wring every bit of fun you can out of the game in any manner you want to. Do what you want to do. It's your game.

I was worried. That's all. I thought - wrongly - that you were drowning in all that Traveller has to offer. I wanted to throw you a life preserver.

I should have known that you weren't drowning, you were surfing! :D

Have fun with your campaign. It's sounds fantastic. Please give us updates when you're able.

At Pocket Empire's scale you don't aim a gun or jam comms. You don't have a gun or even individual ships.

I didn't know PE had a system for ships! I was only interested in the planetary development part.

Please be assured. You have not come across in any way as aggressive and your English is excellent. I've found this topic fascinating and thought provoking. Thank you for starting it.

Thank you very much, I was sincerely worried.

If you and your group want huge, then go for huge. The only thing that matters is what you and your group want. Go for huge. Play big. Wring every bit of fun you can out of the game in any manner you want to. Do what you want to do. It's your game.

I was worried. That's all. I thought - wrongly - that you were drowning in all that Traveller has to offer. I wanted to throw you a life preserver.

I should have known that you weren't drowning, you were surfing! :D

Have fun with your campaign. It's sounds fantastic. Please give us updates when you're able.

Thank you Whipsnade, I really appreciate your words!

Back