• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Best top 10 SCi-Fi for Traveller, & Why

No kidding I keep thinking of other good ones.

Jame's Tipptree Jr.'s Collection of short stories "the Starry Rift" -- another good scout book. Especially second or third story that tells of a longrange scout mission across a rift.

The Aforementioned (in "Medics in the rear") Path of the Fury by David Weber. It's got a couple of alien races that seem to be travelleresque. it's got an interesting take on the nobel/navy relationship it's got... It just feels even more traveller than the Harrington Novels.

Heinlein has written dozen's of rip snorters. Just about anything written before he stopped winning Hugo's and started winning Playboy book of the month is dynamite. (the other aren't bad either just... not up to his standard.)

Cole & Bunch's "STEN" Series comes to mind, patterns after WW2 Pacific war in two books. & the "Great escape" in another. Secret Agents, marine & Navy stuff, and a SUN king who "lives" forever (clones)...

Hmm... Only 10, eh? Well, okay.

1) Issac Asimov - The Foundation Trilogy (the original trilogy, though the others are certainly okay).

2) Lois McMaster Bujold - Falling Free, and pretty much the whole Cordelia Naismith/Miles Vorkosigan series.

3) Timothy Zahn - Mainly Cobra, Cobra Strike, Cascade Point, Deadman Switch, and Spinneret.

4) Julian may - the Galactic Milieu, though the Saga of the Pliocene Exile would kick butt as a T20/D&D3e cross-over.

5) Harry Turtledove - Noninterference.

6) Marion Zimmer-Bradley - Darkover novels, after Recontact.

7) CJ Cherryh - the Chanur series.

8) William Gibson - Count Zero, Neuromancer.

9) Larry Niven - Ringworld, et al.

10) Mel Keegan - Death's Head, Equinox

These, at least, are my biggest literary inspirations for Traveller games. I would also have to cite Babylon5, Space:1999, Earth2, Space: Above and Beyond, and several other TV series (including, now, Firefly, of course).

Good stuff, Lord Irial! The missus and I are fighting over who gets to read the new Vorkosigan book now (She beat me to the war of Honor already)..Thanks fer postin'! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Okay... I agree with a lot of what's been said so far:-

Niven and Pournelle (together or individually), particularly "The Mote in God's Eye", "Janissaries", and Niven's "Known Space" books.

Cherryh for the "Chanur" books (the Hani are Aslan with a different name, and the Kif are a good model for the darker side of the Vargr).

BUJOLD Rocks!!!

She occupies Pride of place on my bookshelf. Books I have -NEVER- sent to a book reseller, Given to a friend with out first replacing etc. Roger Zelazney's Amber Series cannot claim that honor, Nothing by Macferry, Cherryh, Heinlein or Asimov can. Only my HB Piper books and my Janisarries series occupy that sort of space.

I'm sure she infiltrated her works into my subconconscious protrayal of characters and .. stuff in my games However, She's the least traveller-esque of my favourite authors.

Liam: Diplomatic Immunity is great. but Civil Campaign is still her most hilarious.

Originally posted by BigBadRon:
Okay... I agree with a lot of what's been said so far:-

Niven and Pournelle (together or individually), particularly "The Mote in God's Eye", "Janissaries", and Niven's "Known Space" books.

Cherryh for the "Chanur" books (the Hani are Aslan with a different name, and the Kif are a good model for the darker side of the Vargr).

Originally posted by Garf:
BUJOLD Rocks!!!

She occupies Pride of place on my bookshelf. Books I have -NEVER- sent to a book reseller, Given to a friend with out first replacing etc. Roger Zelazney's Amber Series cannot claim that honor, Nothing by Macferry, Cherryh, Heinlein or Asimov can. Only my HB Piper books and my Janisarries series occupy that sort of space.

I'm sure she infiltrated her works into my subconconscious protrayal of characters and .. stuff in my games However, She's the least traveller-esque of my favourite authors.

Liam: Diplomatic Immunity is great. but Civil Campaign is still her most hilarious.

That is part of her genius.

She can make you laugh 'til your sides split.
She can hook you so deep with a character you bleed when they are cut.
She can make believable sympathetic characters able to make war successfully an not be easily brushed off as right wing psycho's
and she can tie it all together in a story that suspends your disbelief for long after the ride is over.

but some of the lessor writer on my list are more 'travelleresque'.

She can make believable sympathetic characters able to make war successfully an not be easily brushed off as right wing psycho's
and she can tie it all together in a story that suspends your disbelief for long after the ride is over.

(snip)
I dunno. Over the years of reading each of her books as they've come out, MTU resembles her universe more than slightly. Barrayar as 3I, Cetaganda as Zhodani Consulate, certain planets as different aspects of the Vargr extents. It's not a perfect fit by any means, but it helps with coming up with motivations and stories that seem a bit more believable. Especially if I have to deal with Nobles...

I first saw "The Mountains of Mourning" when it was in Analog and was utterly transfixed.

If there's anyone reading this thread, doesn't know Bujold's work, and is wondering why we're all blathering on like this, that story is now available for fee download at http://www.baen.com/library/lmbujold.htm
Check it out.

William

One author who rates highly in my eyes for Traveller is Peter F Hamilton, with his Reality Disfunction and its follow-ups. Although it becomes decidedly Space Fantasy/Horror afer about 3/4 of the way through book 1, the whole feel of the universe is great (IMHO, of course), especially the starship scenes.

Take care,

Shane

Allright - obviously I'm missing something really good here. Someone please recommend a first book to get acquainted with her work and I'll pick it up post haste.

Thx,

Originally posted by theSea:
Allright - obviously I'm missing something really good here. Someone please recommend a first book to get acquainted with her work and I'll pick it up post haste.

Thx,[/QB]
Start with the novella I linked up to above. Then find a copy of "The Warrior's Apprentice". It will be well worth your time.

William

Originally posted by William:
[I dunno. Over the years of reading each of her books as they've come out, MTU resembles her universe more than slightly. Barrayar as 3I, Cetaganda as Zhodani Consulate, certain planets as different aspects of the Vargr extents. It's not a perfect fit by any means, but it helps with coming up with motivations and stories that seem a bit more believable. Especially if I have to deal with Nobles...

I first saw "The Mountains of Mourning" when it was in Analog and was utterly transfixed.

If there's anyone reading this thread, doesn't know Bujold's work, and is wondering why we're all blathering on like this, that story is now available for fee download at http://www.baen.com/library/lmbujold.htm
Check it out.William
-------------------------------------
Thanks William, and thanks fer the site for Baen too!

Some additions:

Rick Shelly has 3 scifi military series - all good

David Sherman and Dan Cragg - 34 fist series - good stuff

A good "family in space" book is the Rolling Stones by R. Heinlein

Originally posted by Garet:
Some additions:

Rick Shelly has 3 scifi military series - all good

David Sherman and Dan Cragg - 34 fist series - good stuff

A good "family in space" book is the Rolling Stones by R. Heinlein

-----------------------------------------------
Good ones! Thanx fer posting Mr Garet! And welcome to CoTI boards sir! The Heinlein I have..agreed,beats the heck outta Lost in space!

To the one asking for a good start novel....

...THIS Will blow you a way. IT -doesn't Matter-

The books -do- have a chronology, They have INCREDIBLE self consistancy. but the references -to- other books read like 'inside jokes' they are a nice frill but utterly unecessary to the complete and wonderful book in and of itself.

if you see a Bujold book anywhere: GRAB IT! READ IT! you will not be disapointed.

Having said that, here's a rough chronology and some -guesses- as to how you may react.

Falling Free: Set about 200 years before any of the other novels. yet events here impact on the later books. The Hero is an mechanical engineer. The cast is largely composed of one possible result of genetic engineering. (Quadies...now THAT is a Zero G adaptation FEAT, but not feet) Standard Quality for Bujold... ie mental Dyanmite!

Shards of Honour
Barrayar
These two novels are also sold as a collected work called Cordelia's Honour. 'Shards' is about two Dutiful and Loyal officers on opposite sides of a war who have the joy/misfortune of falling in love with each other. I can't tell you much about Barrayar without spoilers for 'Shards'. Shards of Honour BLEW ME AWAY. Yet this is still pretty much Bujold's standard work. One thing you can learn by reading the Back Covers: One of the 'soldiers' is Named Cordelia Naismith, The other is Aral Vorkosigan.

The Warriors Apprentice - The first novel of the adventures of Miles Naismith Vorkosigan. Standard Bujold.

A short story... "The mountains of mourning" may be inserted next. (if I make no comment assume it's ___GOOD____)

The Vor Game - More Milesian adventures. the first portion of this appeared elsewhere as a short story "The Weatherman"

Cetagenda - is actually mildly disapointing. I think it was written before 'Barrayar', though perhaps after The warrior's apprentice. However it was printed comtemporarily with some of Bujold's REALLY GOOD stuff. if you read it in chrono order it probably won't be that bad.

Ethan of Athos - is Chronologically contemporary (or just slight post) Cetagenda. (there's a reference within the story). It doesn't involve Miles himself but instead DOES involve some ancilliary characters. Homophobes and Misogynonists may find this novel challenging to their belief structure. Standard Bujold Fare.

Labyrinth - Short Story.

The Borders of Infinity - Short Story.

Brothers in Arms - Probably the seminal Vorkosigan Novel. This is Miles at the height of his career as a successful field officer and headache to his superiors. Good Shtuff.

Borders of Infinity - This collects the short stories "the Mountains of Mourning", "Labyrinth", and "The Borders of Infinity" as flashbacks under the framing device of a medical repose (well only if your Miles Vorkosigan is it repose) set at this point in the chronolgy. The framing story has cool element too.

Mirror Dance - Talking too much about this one will spoil the denoument of 'brothers' Miles spends most of this one as a cryocorpse anyway. The focus is on... anciliary characters.
(This one is kind of a 'next level' book for Bujold's writing. it's a little more real, a little more serious. And hooks you all the harder. Bujold can do grim even when she's doing funny.)

Memory - Another one on the 'next level' of Mirror Dance. The caption in Bujold's own printed chronolgy is "Miles hits 35, 35 hits back."

Komarr - Mile's first post 35 adventure. still on that 'next level' but with a sly twist of returning humour.

A Civil Campaign - A ... Departure... Bujold is hard to pidgeon hole at the best of times. Humourist, gritty action, reasonably hard post modern sci fi... it's hard to pin her down. but 'Campaign' also invites comparisons to Georgette Heyer, or the 'Carry on' movies. Without letting you stop worrying for the safety and sanity of her characters for one instant. A civil Campaign is one you will reread even more often than you reread any of the others.

Diplomatic Immunity - Just out in hard back. Good fare at Bujold's new standard.

There is also "Young Miles", Which if I recall correctly is borders+Vor.

The Novels would probably read best in chrono order. just to avoid some spoilers and to not be dispointed in her pre-'next level' ones.

BUJOLD GET'S BETTER the later her books are written.

But it's all good and all beautifully interconnected without requiring that you know those connections at a given time....

in short.. read them.

Garf & William -

Thanks - that's just what I was looking for - will grab "The Warriors Apprentice" asap.

Garf - you and I seem to agree strongly on reading material so your recommendation carries weight. Thx

Back