• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Black Holes, Wormholes, Supernovas, etc

Originally posted by Darth Sillyus:
Now, if you're talking about the rapidly expanding shockwave/shell of particles, the MASSIVE electromagnetic pulse, the planet sized bits of stellar matter flying around, or even the fact that the local starbucks just went out business; I would have to agree with your assessment. ;)
If one of the megacorps, such as Starbucks, is involved, there would be plenty of reprecussions for the lack of advance warning...
:D

Originally posted by Darth Sillyus:
Neutrinos do not interact with ordinary matter. In fact, it takes very large chambers filled with dense liquids to detect them. Which is saying something, because from the time you started reading this post until NOW, you have had several billion (yes, BILLION) of them pass through your body.
Neutinos do interact with ordinary matter, just very rarely. The very large chamabers full of water to detect them rely on their occasional interactions. If there are several million neutrios passing through your body per second and over your lifetime only one may interact with an atom in your body, how many do you need to inflict a lethal radiation poisoning dose?

Originally posted by tjoneslo:
If there are several million neutrios passing through your body per second and over your lifetime only one may interact with an atom in your body, how many do you need to inflict a lethal radiation poisoning dose?
You are correct sir, I did understate their interaction with matter. One atom per lifetime would be just about right.

The general consensus in the physics comunity seems to be that there isn't a poisoning dose for neutrinos. The fact that they're so darned hard to detect makes them very interesting to researchers looking for everything from the total mass of the universe to dark matter.

One thing that is known about them is that they are a major by-product of fusion reactions. This very fact makes the Neutrino detector from TNE a very valuable tool for spotting starships... at least if they're using their power plant. But that depends on just how picky you want to get with your tech.

In either case, the other effects of the process which produced the Neutrinos would do in your crew and ship LONG before the neutrinos could even dream of ganging up on you.

Just how close can a ship get to a black hole? Will the 100 diameter jump limit go off the singularity a point, or the event horizon, or some other criteria. Miss jumps would be a high problility anywhere in the neighborhood. Jump in too close and get fragged, too far and have a few months of travel. Of course you have the hard radiation, high speed particles and rocks, and distortion in instrumentation. What more could you ask for to make characters lives interesting.

--------------------------------
In the end, Murphy will rule

Originally posted by vegascat:
Just how close can a ship get to a black hole?
Depends. Do they want to come back out or not?

Will the 100 diameter jump limit go off the singularity a point, or the event horizon, or some other criteria. Miss jumps would be a high problility anywhere in the neighborhood. Jump in too close and get fragged, too far and have a few months of travel. Of course you have the hard radiation, high speed particles and rocks, and distortion in instrumentation. What more could you ask for to make characters lives interesting.
IMTU safe jump distance is based upon mass and Tidal forces, not diameters. For a black hole, this places the safe jump distance around 2-4 AU. Not devestatingly huge. But it is well within the large spinning cloud of dust as it spials into the black hole and the lethal radiation.

I remember reading an article somewhere about the existance of wormholes. I think it was Arthur C. Clarke. Anyway, the article claimed that they could exist, but the largest of them would be too small for an atomic nucleus to pass through.

Not that this matters if you want to use them in a game.

Kafka,

I did not realize that someone had actually done work on Grand Explorations. If you should ever get a copy of that file again, or know where I can find it myself, please email me at: <flynnwd@mail.com>

Thank you in advance,
Flynn

Originally posted by kafka47:
There was once was a Dragon article that dealt with Black Holes. Not wishing to support T$R, I don't want to purchase it.

Could someone tell me how these stellar phenomena are dealt with in Traveller in their TU?

Will we see rules covering this in T20? Or am I reverting Munchkinism...
Ummm??!!! TSR??? isnt it like dead?? :rolleyes:

GGGeeeezzzzz guys - there isnt anything about all these Nastys on my new star charts - arnt you guys supposed to repot this stuff to someone???
what gives??? you know someone could get hurt....... :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by trader jim:
GGGeeeezzzzz guys - there isnt anything about all these Nastys on my new star charts
Maybe someone's trying to tell you something!

Isn't the RV dude responsible for getting you your copy?

NNaaaa - just couldnt be.....not ol likeable ME!!!!????
file_23.gif

chief, i want my credits back and you can have these old scout charts back, thanks for nothing -
Trader Jims going home......

Hi All!

I managed to find a source for Dragon Magazine PDFs, including the article on black holes. If anyone is interested contact me, off list.

Back