• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Book 3 Psionic Assault vs Psi-Helmet Question

Hi All,
In book 3, as part of Telepathy, the ability to mentally assault others is written in
The roll to oppose such an attack is given as Attacker's PSI minus Defender's PSI for a DM which is then used for a roll of 7+

But I have not seen (yes, I may have missed it) what the "PSI" is for someone wearing a PSI-Helmet, or other artificial shield?
For those of you who use these rules, what do you rate the psi-helmet in your Trav Universe?

Thanks in advance

You might like to see this old thread about the issue...

Just quoting a post of mine from it:
If that can help, I'll tell you how I applied it (in MT):
  • used the AHL table, counting "attacker" telepathy rating as Penetration power and defender PSR (or TL/2) as Armor.
  • if result was none, no acces was achieved
  • If it was light wound, very limited access was achieved (e.g. on read thoughts you could gain some clues)
  • If heavy wound, partial access was achieved (e.g. o nread throughts, you will gain important info, but not all of it
  • If death, all important info was achieved.
Of course, no shield meant 0 armor.
That's how I used it, not the absolute true nor holy writ...

LOL, sorry...
The answer, per JTAS Issue 9 is a PSI of 15

I was so in "the depth" of writing up "Mind Blast" from The Space Gamer magazine Issue 20 that I just took the time to say I'd found the answer before rushing back to my work

And, before you ask:

Mind Blast(Separated from Telekenisis)
Level - Ability Duration
3: Stun Concentrate 1 Round (2D6 Minutes out cold)
6: Injure Concentrate 2 Rounds (12 pts Damage)
9: Kill Concentrate 3 Rounds

Base PSI Cost: Stun: 3/Injure: 6/Kill: 9 pts
Succeed on a 7+ +/- DM determined below
Attacker PSI - Defender PSI (May be negative / Psi-shield PSI=15)

Back