• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Enlisted Ranks for Book 1

Well, it's 7:10pm PT right now, and my post from 3:42pm PT still has the EDIT button.

And the edit worked, so...
That brings to mind this:
"Eddies," said Ford, "in the space-time continuum."
"Ah," nodded Arthur, "is he. Is he."
"What?" said Ford.
"Er, who," said Arthur, "is Eddy, then, exactly, then?"
Ford looked angrily at him.
To be fair to Ford Prefect, it is kind of hard to figure out that you're dealing with conditional causality when you're drunk off your arse, let alone explain it to a semi-evolved simian...

Well, it's 7:10pm PT right now, and my post from 3:42pm PT still has the EDIT button.
I've had too many posts where I'm actively needing to make repeat edits after posting, hit the 30 minute cutoff and not only does the Edit link/button disappear but if I try to save the edit I was working on the forum software gives me a "You Can't Do That Anymore" message denying the save 30 minutes after posting. So I've tested the 30 minute window more than once.

However, since I was never a subscriber at any time, I may have the "pleb" level of permissions on edit windows (30 minutes) while other members of longer standing (such as yourself) may have longer edit windows granted by legacy permissions carried over from the previous forums (or other such spaghetti coding).

I do not begrudge @aramis the need to take a flashlight down the disused stairs past the warning sign that reads "Beware of the leopard" in search of the locked filing cabinet containing the coding for this bit of the forums.

However, since I was never a subscriber at any time, I may have the "pleb" level of permissions on edit windows (30 minutes) while other members of longer standing (such as yourself) may have longer edit windows granted by legacy permissions carried over from the previous forums (or other such spaghetti coding).
Hold on, hold on! I might be able to get a longer edit window as a perk for subscribing?
I'll have to think about that... :)

Modified from Paranoia Press: Merchants & Merchandise:

Enlisted Rank
Merchant
(Deck Department)
Merchant
(Engineering Department)
Merchant
(Support Department)
1Deck Hand ApprenticeDrive Hand ApprenticeCrew Hand Apprentice
2Deck HandDrive HandCrew Hand
3Able Deck HandAble Drive HandAble Crew Hand
4Bosun's (Boatswain's) MateEngineer's MateSteward's Mate
5(Senior) Bosun's (Boatswain) Mate(Senior) Engineer's Mate(Senior) Steward Mate
6(Chief/Master) Bosun (Boatswain)(Chief/Master) Engineer's Mate(Senior) Steward
I'd change this to:

1. Landsman (no experience on a starship)
2. Hand
3. Able Hand
4. (Department) Mate, Like Bosun's, Engineer's Navigator's, etc.
5. Chief (Department)
6. Master (Department)

Simplifies it quite a bit.

And the edit worked, so...
I have an edit link for every post. And not just my posts.... It's set partially by usergroup.

Back