• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Can anyone identify this work of art?

ManOfGrey

SOC-12
Knight
I was thinking about writing a review, but wanted to learn more about this work of art by Chris Foss. It appeared on the cover of the adventure A Long Way Home. Does anyone know if this work of art has a title? And if it might have graced the cover of some other book?

Thank you.

Attachments

• A Long Way Home - Chris Foss  Art.jpg
    A Long Way Home - Chris Foss Art.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
I thought that all of Foss's artwork was commissioned specifically for Traveller. I could very well be wrong though.

I remember the complaints on the TML back in the day that they didn't look "Traveller" enough.

I thought that all of Foss's artwork was commissioned specifically for Traveller. I could very well be wrong though.

It my understanding that the opposite is true. While the black and white interior art by Mr. Foss was specifically commissioned by Imerium Games, the color plates, which were later used as book covers for any number of T4's supplements, were drawn by Mr. Foss for earlier bookcovers written by numerous other authors.

I'm sure Imperium Games was able to negotiate a reasonable contract to be allowed to reuse these works.

For example, below is Mr. Foss' piece entitled "Second Moonbeast."

Attachments

• Missions of State - Chris Foss Art.jpg
    Missions of State - Chris Foss Art.jpg
    755.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
In fact, this piece, entitled "Captain Nemo's Castle," commissioned by Men Only Magazine, was copied by another artist, and sold at auction for $5.7 million.

Attachments

• Annililik Run - Chris Foss Art.jpg
    Annililik Run - Chris Foss Art.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 16
Ha! Apparently the cover from Long Way Home is entitled "Blue Space Wreck." If anyone has ever seen another book cover it was used on, please let me know.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Blue Space Wreck - Chris Foss Art.jpg
    Blue Space Wreck - Chris Foss Art.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 17
"Diary of a Spaceperson" by Chris Foss is the only listing I could find for this painting. It's for sale on amazon.

Absolutely correct. Diary of a Space Person is a collection of a number of Chris Foss' works.

However, what I am interested in, is if this painting was ever used as a book cover for someone else's work. The Bloodstar Conspiracy pictured above by E. E. "Doc" Smith with Stephen Goldin would be a perfect example. Granted, it is quite possible this particular work, "Blue Space Wreck," has never been used as a book cover. But if it has, I am curious where and when it might have been used as such.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back