• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: Why don't we do this for Traveller?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
This is a short review of the Star Trek Adventures Starter Set on DriveThruRPG.

This includes a phenomenal 3-part adventure that’s designed to open and play, straight out of your printer. No need to read and prep early, if you don’t have time.

I love this because it’s designed to hand-hold your group into the rules, slowly introducing new rules one at a time. It’s worth a read before bringing your group in, and will certainly help you play.

It also gives a great distilled primer on the rules, which may be clearer as well!

Why don't we do this for Traveller?

EDIT: The reason I say this is that we've had several attempts to make an Introduction for new Traveller Players. There was 'Book 0: An Introduction to Traveller', and 'Liftoff!' I though both of them were good, but needed tweeking. 'Book 0 was missing some necessary things and Liftoff! was just the opposite - it went overboard in scope and reinvented the wheel in that it wasn't teaching the rules of the current edition of Traveller.

I think we need to start a project for this.

Anyone interested?

Last edited:
if T5, pretty much, yes. Still waiting to see if the player's manual promised a long, long time ago will ever get written. Which I would hope would have some elements of this introduction to how to play in there. While I really want to play T5, 800+ pages of rules makes understanding things difficult. On the bright side you really don't need all those rules as the MOARN principle applies here as well. So yes, an introduction to the rules during play and how things get used would be great.

And as noted in my sig - I do tend to pick and choose rules to use when running games, so I have used a couple T5 things in my mostly Classic games. as some of that stuff is really cool once you understand it!

I would split it up a little bit. A first step would be outlining what order to introduce rules in in the first place. Then that finished outline could be used as the structure of an adventure.

A possible danger: what I've seen in other systems is that self-avowed starter adventures, judged purely as adventures, are usually not that great. They're often railroads, or rely on killing rats in a tavern basement, or both. Like they're counting on new players just intrinsically enjoying saying "I attack" and rolling dice. When my thinking is you can have the joys of attacking and rolling dice in an actually positively good adventure, without making the players grind things out to get the really cool parts of the game.

if T5, pretty much, yes. Still waiting to see if the player's manual promised a long, long time ago will ever get written.
T5 is one of the two core rulebooks I haven't gotten. I hope you get that.

MgT has had a Starter Set which included The Fall of Tinath adventure.
The latest version is Explorer's Edition.
Are either of those doing what the STA Starter Set is doing, tho?

A possible danger: what I've seen in other systems is that self-avowed starter adventures, judged purely as adventures, are usually not that great. They're often railroads, or rely on killing rats in a tavern basement, or both. Like they're counting on new players just intrinsically enjoying saying "I attack" and rolling dice. When my thinking is you can have the joys of attacking and rolling dice in an actually positively good adventure, without making the players grind things out to get the really cool parts of the game.
That's a good point. So let's not do it that way?

Back