• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: Canonical GURPS books

Why wouldn't all of them be canon?

And by "canon" we mean "GURPS canon" because GT is an ATU, right?
For the line vs the overall Traveller canon? Because the license was stated to be non-authoritative. By both Marc and Steve Jackson. That said, Marc prefers that it not be contradicted.

For the GURPS Traveller line internally, Almost all of it is canon, but a few items by one author shouldn't be; he published them first for Spacemaster, and thus shouldn't be considered, because they cannot be used elsewhere in Traveller, and are poor fits even for GT. GURPS Vehicles is also canonical for the GURPS Traveller line; GV is the underpinning of the GT ship building system.

How does MgT rewriting canon on a whim fit into this?
indiana-jones-he-chose-poorly.gif

GT ISW gives us a different ship building system.

How does MgT rewriting canon on a whim fit into this?
by my understanding: While they hold the license, the 3I trade dress products are canon. The rest aren't. WHen in conflict, T5 trumps it.

Logically, I'd expect Mongoose to insist that all the 3I material to be consistent with their current ruleset.

I got the impression that Mongoose is supposedly simplified Tee Five, outside the basic framework still retained of, or from, Classical.

Mongoose is a cleaned up version of CT, but T5 is the next evolution of T4 (Marc Miller's Traveller). The rules, at least for the in game workings, have diverged to the point of incompatibility.

I got the impression that Mongoose is supposedly simplified Tee Five, outside the basic framework still retained of, or from, Classical.
That was Marc's original intent. It's not what happened. T5 wasn't ready enough to make it happen.

So, Gareth was tasked to work with what he had... CT-77 bk1-2-3. Bk4, and bk5 (not certain which edition).

For the line vs the overall Traveller canon? Because the license was stated to be non-authoritative. By both Marc and Steve Jackson. That said, Marc prefers that it not be contradicted.

For the GURPS Traveller line internally, Almost all of it is canon, but a few items by one author shouldn't be; he published them first for Spacemaster, and thus shouldn't be considered, because they cannot be used elsewhere in Traveller, and are poor fits even for GT. GURPS Vehicles is also canonical for the GURPS Traveller line; GV is the underpinning of the GT ship building system.
A few of the new-in-GT aliens have since been adopted without further reservation, but as a rule the new aliens of GT are optional.

Marc did choose to contradict GT Nobles in one broad way, by bumping the "noble on every Imperial planet" from a Baron (GT) down to a Knight (T5; as seen in the Traveller Map data). I recall Hans being rather upset...

A few of the new-in-GT aliens have since been adopted without further reservation, but as a rule the new aliens of GT are optional.

Marc did choose to contradict GT Nobles in one broad way, by bumping the "noble on every Imperial planet" from a Baron (GT) down to a Knight (T5; as seen in the Traveller Map data). I recall Hans being rather upset...
Hans had a lot of ideas that were countered in T5. So did Doug B. So did/do I.

Marc won't hesitate to overwrite prior canon when he deems it worthy.

Back