• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CC vs. AutoRealm, etc....

signless

SOC-12
I'm currently experimenting with AutoRealm as a world mapping utility, and deckplan design system - but, since its freeware (nothing against the system, mind you - I'm tickled pink whenever someone develops a cool new app.), it doesn't come with the easiest user interface, and isn't as bug-free as I'd like.
What kind of mapper/deckplan generator have you had the best experience working with?
I'm in love with Galactic, since I can't get H&E to work right on my slow Win98 machine (with the funky, small monitor, too...). And I'd love to find a Windows application that can take care of fine-detail planet-mapping and deckplan layouts. If I have to end up hacking off my right arm to buy a program like Campaign Cartogropher, I will...but if there's something else out there you all use, please post away.

Have you looked at Fractal Mapper from NBOS?

www.nbos.com

There might be a demo version of it for free, but the full version is about $30, IIRC. Not cheap cheap, but more reasonable than CC.

I haven't done much with it yet, but already it seems much much easier to use than CC, base don my experience with trying (operative word) to use CC about 5 - 6 years ago.

I have CC and I used to be a CAD trained guy, and I still wobble around that interface. I just don't get it. It has a steep learning curve, IMO. And some real simple (conceptually) things that you would want to do as a gamer drawing a map or deckplan are tough to do. Now, once you get going, you can do some nice work with it.

I have FM but haven't tried it yet.

I've tried (for deckplans and maps) Paint, PSPro, Corel Draw, etc. All have strengths and weaknesses.

You know what no one has mentioned? I do deck plans in GRIP iGM.

What?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes! I use a screencap to render them into a BMP (sometimes a pain with big levels). Build it in GRIP, Ctrl-Prtscrn, Paste into Paint, line up bits. The advantage is this gives me GRIP deckplans at the same time it gives me ones I can publish. (Now, Hunter may want to tap dance on my head given that some of the symbols end up being the standard ones from GRIP, I dunno....).

The only complaint I have is there isn't an easy way to add new symbol libraries. I've tried, hasn't worked. If anyone knows how this can be done, I'll be glad to chat about it.

Now, in the next version of GRIP, it would sure be nice if the system could dump the contents of the map to a standard BMP file.... that would be very handy.

(Heck, maybe it can do this and I'm missing it... or maybe there was a reason I didn't do this, like scaling up....).

Then all you'd need is a few cosmetic edits (adding labels/legend/scale) and you're good to go.

But that's just mentioned for interest sake. I think Visio might make a good tool if we had someone who was bang-up at coding Smart Shapes. Then we could build a ship-bits shape library.

Originally posted by kaladorn:
[QBBut that's just mentioned for interest sake. I think Visio might make a good tool if we had someone who was bang-up at coding Smart Shapes. Then we could build a ship-bits shape library. [/QB]
This the kind of stuff you're looking for?

http://www.discover4x4.co.uk/that/floorplans/sci-fi/

For myself - I use CC2. Yes the curve is steep, yes it crashes like heck on my machine when there is a bitmap on a layer, but I really like the results I get.

I use fractal terrains for 'earth-like' world mapping - export to .bmp and add as a layer to a world map grid photoshop template.

For 'non-earth-like' worlds I've been playing with a POV-Ray file that maps some hairy procedurally generated fractal textures onto icosohedrons. Not ready for prime time yet, but the gas giants are starting to look real purdy.

cheers

--michael

1. Thanks for the link.

2. CC2 impresses me with capability, depresses me with learning curve. At one time, I was an AutoCAD 12 user. But CC2 still thwarts me enough that I want to lob the PC out the window.... now, I own a lot of it, but not FT. I want to get that and try it. I wish they'd do some good shape libraries for sci-fi deck plans.

3. Care to post a link to some of your isocehedral maps (finished results)? And can I ask, oddly enough, why you might *want* a surface map of a GG? That seems... unusual....

Also, how do you clip/transform the output of FT into an isocahedron map?

*(smacks his forehead with his hand)*
Visio! Sheesh. You mean that annoying little app that came with my PC back in '93?
Since Kal posted that bit, I started tinkering around and ended up creating an entire ship's worth of deckplans that used ample amounts of stuffed olive-green recliners and potted plants.
Now, with these stencils, the universe of deckplan design is MINE!
*cackle*
Thanks for the link, and thanks, Kal, for waking me up to using Visio...

If I knew enough to code my own smartshapes, I think some really fabulous things could be made for Visio (components that are smart about connections to other components, etc).

But it is a good tool, and if you are already familiar with it, the learning curve on some other options might not seem as attractive.

If I knew enough to code my own smartshapes, I think some really fabulous things could be made for Visio (components that are smart about connections to other components, etc).

But it is a good tool, and if you are already familiar with it, the learning curve on some other options might not seem as attractive.

But CC2 still thwarts me enough that I want to lob the PC out the window....
When I gear up to do some work in CC2 I make sure I'm ready for frustration. Manage your expectations and your mood will follow. I haven't lost a PC yet (fortunatley I'm on the ground floor too...)

now, I own a lot of it, but not FT. I want to get that and try it.
Download the demo and play with it for a while - worked for me.

I wish they'd do some good shape libraries for sci-fi deck plans.
Agreed - there are a couple of semi-decent symbol libraries on their website but I'll be happy when someone (not me) sits down and does a really good one. I'm considering buying their 'modern' symbolset and seeing if there is some good stuff in there.

If you're doing anything at all with sector or subsector mapping you need to get Elv's GAL2CC scripts. Absolute top notch work.

3. Care to post a link to some of your isocehedral maps (finished results)? And can I ask, oddly enough, why you might *want* a surface map of a GG? That seems... unusual....
Sorry - I don't have anything posted yet. I can e-mail you a .gif or two if you'd like.

As to the GG mapping, you can blame H&E for that one.... I did a couple of full systems with H&E and then decided to upgrade the artwork. All of it.
file_23.gif

Also, how do you clip/transform the output of FT into an isocahedron map?
FT has an export to Icosohedral function - but the triangles aren't arranged quite right for the IS Form 8.

I render all of my FT maps at a consistant size (huge) and I have a photoshop macro that does the enlarge, snip, move, crop & flatten procedure.

--michael

Is the photoshop macro something that you could provide? (I'd love a copy and an example of the data it would work with)

Is the photoshop macro something that you could provide? (I'd love a copy and an example of the data it would work with)
Tom--

Basically I just recorded the action once. Photoshop puts it on the 'actions' tab. It works because the file dimensions and changes needed are the same across all files at that particular resolution. Quick n dirty.

Note that FT will save to icosohedral - all I'm doing is a little snippage.

If you're looking for something that will take a rectangular bitmap (texture type) projection and transform it to an icosohedral then you want to get Flaming Pear's flexify plug in. IIRC it has a free 30 day trial.

Me, I could use something that would take an Icosohedral projection and transform it back to a rectangle so I could make textures from my Icoso maps.

HTH

--michael

Back