• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Character Generation report

Originally posted by Garf:
And I have to disagree with Dr. Evil on the cross class... Many soldiers have gone on to have scholarly careers and while the military needs it's share "Me Like Hockey" grunt fighters, it also actively seeks out professionals and academics.
Yup. At work (we do systems engineering of command and control systems), the assistant department head is a retired Colonel from the Artillery Branch who has a Masters in Mathematics.

Originally posted by Arbitrary Aardvark:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Garf:
And I have to disagree with Dr. Evil on the cross class... Many soldiers have gone on to have scholarly careers and while the military needs it's share "Me Like Hockey" grunt fighters, it also actively seeks out professionals and academics.
Yup. At work (we do systems engineering of command and control systems), the assistant department head is a retired Colonel from the Artillery Branch who has a Masters in Mathematics.</font>[/QUOTE]-------------------------------------------------
And my boss is an ex-1sg Green Beret, with his MA in Business Admin.
I'm an E-6 Army ground pounder (INFANTRY),going into my 4th term (3 terms AD/ 1 Res), but hold a prior MA History before i joined (I was 25), now in professional work at the Military schools behind a desk (till drills, then I have a heavy weapons squad at my order to train and work with--many of whom make more money profesionally than they do at drill, btw!) ;)

Thanks for the help, buty what I think I have decided to do is create a college type class. Any degree would be obtained in a technical or similar type program. It just doesn't make sense to me to send a person through college to train them as a rogue. If they want the rogue skill, be a rogue. I will pass along any information I create to the list.

I like the idea of military schools. I might use that and incorporate it with trhe college class.

Originally posted by xloop:
It just doesn't make sense to me to send a person through college to train them as a rogue. If they want the rogue skill, be a rogue.
Ever been to college? The education the sheepskin says you received and the things you actually learned can be completely different. Just based on watching various people when I was in College, I'd say that the character who graduates and takes all his earned levels in Rogue was probably a Business major with an agenda...

Er...

why bother? look up 'academic'

If rogues going to college is something you -cannot- wrap your mind around then just insist your players level up in or have a level in academic.

Myself I don't see what the problem is but as is said often on these pages: YMMV.

Originally posted by xloop:
It just doesn't make sense to me to send a person through college to train them as a rogue. If they want the rogue skill, be a rogue.
You're not training them to be a rogue. What they're doing is being in college, and doing rogueish things more than anything else. They're getting drunk all the time, getting into trouble, partying nonstop, and other stuff like that (which happens pretty often at college). So the skills you take reflect that more than they study they actually did.

That said, I think there's got to be a bit of player feedback going on too. Unless the character is one of those types who can do no work at all and yet still get an honours degree, it's really unlikely that he'd really have spent all his levels on Rogue - there's gotta be some work done in there somewhere to get the Honours (a level of Academic will do).

OK, here is how I look at the class vs prior history deal.

Class is a *what* skills/feats you are picking up; the name of the class doesn't have to indicate your career.

Prior History is *where* you are picking these skills up; this is either in military Service, a job/career, how you make a living, or at school.

You can be *in* a University and still *pick up* skills/feats that are unrelated to your degree...ie the Rogue in College debate.

Obviously you're not going for a Masters degree in Applied Theivery (unless it is a very liberal university on a very low Law Level world), but you might learn to Gamble (a class skill for a Rogue, but not for an Academic).

You could be in the Marines Prior History and you'll have to take 1 level of Marine class, to represent the basic common experience that all Marines share, but after that...

Want to be jar-head? take all class advances as a Marine...

Want to be a master tank mecahanic? Take some levels in the Professional class and concentrate on T/skills...

Character in the Marine's JAG? Take some levels in Professional concentrating on K/Law and P/Lawyer

Don't let yourself be limited by the "names" of a class or of a Prior History path (with exceptions of course...if you are in P.H. Marines, obviously you are in the Marines; University you are in some kind of learning arena). The "names" are just general descriptors for the most part, not "written-in-stone" mandates of what your character *must* be.

For example, a "Rogue" does not have to mean "thief"..a "rogue" could be a perfectly legit repo man,a locksmith, a long range amry scout good at skulking...you name it.

Well, that's my two-hundreths of a credit...
-Roger

Back