• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Character Motivation

I think that just like dying during character creation, combat being lethal, and all groups are ethically challenged free traders the trope that you easily get rich using the trading table is something that is not born from actual play.

Take speculative trade - yes you can do this from any world.
How much money do you have at mustering out? Can you afford the speculative trade lot that you roll (once a week), remember you have to pay shipping costs and living expenses while your goods are in transit. It will be three weeks until you find out if you have made a profit (and don't forget the mail cost).
Or you could pay the passage and go with your trade goods to the market world...

I'm going to do this.
I posted on this, search for gentleman trader.

But that's the problem. "Let's not do upgrades/get into battle/buy another ships vehicle this week" and now you're millions of Cr in the green and seriously thinking "WTH am I doing traipsing about the cosmos when I can be living on a beach somewhere with all the margaritas I can drink?".

"I have a 40MCr starship and 25% equity. Let's sell it!"

Basically, as soon as you "stop playing the game" (the game of business within the Traveller game), you have access to "FU Money" and it makes you question why you're playing at all.
Well, either you play ‘first world problems’ at a higher level, or they have ceased to be Travellers and it’s time to roll up new characters.

Don’t forget to use the opportunity to guest star former Travellers as patrons or helpers/opposition.

So really what I am trying to understand is have your campaigns been 1) long running sandbox games or 2) Finite "campaigns" with a start, middle and end (Pirates of Drinax, Spinward Marches Campaign, etc). If 1 what was the driver from a PC/Player standpoint...exploration, Cr, bigger better ship, etc, etc.
Adversaries, Enemies and Allies. You have a moon? Ha Ha. I own all of the moons in this subsector and now I want your moon too. I am stronger than you! How could you possibly defeat me <Evil Laughter>. You have a trade route, I will undercut you on price until you beg me to buy your worthless company <Different Evil Laughter>. Your Friends who helped you grow your trade routes and buy moons? They are "Missing" <More Evil Laughter> Or maybe just a rivalry. Or Maybe I just go around destroying moons. Who can stop me?

Someone is always going to be chasing the same star (or moon) as the PCs. Competition keeps them on their toes.

In video games: Boss, Bigger Boss, but since you want to keep them engaged never "THE BIGGEST BOSS"

Also come at them from different angles, it doesn't have to be mercantile or violent competitors, it could be a legal threat, or a threat to the entire subsector: bad aliens, extremists who want to dismantle society, the destruction or reduction of resources.

I'd like to think that these are the things that keep my players thinking between sessions

dent-you-either-die-a-hero-or-you-live-long-enough-to-see-yourself-become-the-villain.gif

Also come at them from different angles, it doesn't have to be mercantile or violent competitors, it could be a legal threat, or a threat to the entire subsector: bad aliens, extremists who want to dismantle society, the destruction or reduction of resources.
I once used, in a AD&D campaign, the loss of beer, ale and mead ingredients for a multi world and plane campaign. None of the players cared that food in their area had become scarce or that the folks at the source of ingredients where dying of multiple diseases, but raise the price of ale and no mead. I couldn't get them to the area fast enough. o_O And just to add a bit of sauce I added that the price of :coffee: beans had gone up a hundred fold. The groups Monk arrived 2 days before the others! 🏁 Now that's what I call motivation. 😈

Last edited:
I once used, in a AD&D campaign, the loss of beer, ale and mead ingredients for a multi world and plane campaign. None of the players cared that food in their area had become scarce or that the folks at the source of ingredients where dying of multiple diseases, but raise the price of ale and no mead. I couldn't get them to the area fast enough. o_O And just to add a bit of sauce I added that the price of :coffee: beans had gone up a hundred fold. The groups Monk arrived 2 days before the others! 🏁 Now that's what I call motivation. 😈
So alcohol and coffee are more important that food. Yes that sounds like a bunch of RPG players.

This talk of character motivation, reminds me of the old Hollywood joke on this subject. Actor "What is my characters motivation in this scene? Director: Your motivation is if I do not like your acting, I fire you and your never work in this town again."

In a LBB5 universe, you can almost always build bigger... "That's no moon!" "Well it was one when we started..."

I'm going to have to do a "Tiki-World" scenario at some point if someone doesn't beat me to it (or hasn't already). The main problem is that I'm far too unfamiliar with Polynesian culture to pull it off...
If you are thinking of that, you might want to check out some of the Louis Becke books on Project Gutenberg. A lot of the stories cover trading amoung the South Pacific islands. You can also find them on Project Gutenberg Australia. They are public domain and free to download. They read pretty well, as I enjoy them. Note, he also likes to fish a lot.

A Quote from one of his stories;
The sea salmon make their appearance on the southern half of the eastern seaboard of Australia with undeviating regularity in the last week of October, and, entering the rivers and inlets, remain on the coast till the first week of December. As far as my knowledge goes, they come from the south and travel northwards, and do not appear to relish the tropical waters of the North Queensland coast, though I have heard that some years ago a vast “school” entered the waters of Port Denison.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to do a "Tiki-World" scenario at some point if someone doesn't beat me to it (or hasn't already). The main problem is that I'm far too unfamiliar with Polynesian culture to pull it off...
Here would be a good possibility to use for such a campaign.
By Rock and Pool on an Austral Shore, and Other Stories, by Louis Becke

One of the stories is as follows: A CRUISE IN THE SOUTH SEAS—HINTS TO INTENDING TRAVELLERS

So one of the things our group of players have struggled with even WAY back in High School when CT first arrived on the scene, is Character Motivation in a campaign. It seems that our games always petered out after a couple of months when the PC's had accumulated enough Cr to buy a small moon (a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point). In other RPG's one of the main reasons to keep "adventuring" is character advancement, level, HP, spells, etc. That is all missing in most versions of Traveller so how do you keep a long term sandbox campaign going or do you even run pure sandboxes? Is Traveller more targeted towards more "limited life" campaigns like The Spinward Marches Campaign, The Pirates of Drinax, The Traveller Adventure, etc. Campaigns with a definite start, end and goal, that once done you would roll up new characters and start again.

No right or wrong answers just trying to udnerstand how others are/have ran their groups.

I always intended to sandbox indefinitely but most players aren't cut out for that. Not that many people care enough about the setting or their character to do sandbox. Most players want some laughs, some battles, and some loot without worrying about all that "roleplaying" jazz.

Trouble is, once they have more space loot than Space Smaug the Space Dragon can sleep on in his space cave, they have a hard time staying interested. They've already "won the game". And of course they don't want to be into the setting enough to pay the bills that keep the lights on in their space loot palace, so there are no challenges to keeping it. Except for fighting off contrived attacks by npcs, there's nothing left they can imagine striving for. It's not surprising, it's the same battles laughs loots mentality that has been in rpgs from the beginning. But in the end it leaves people with the same feeling of being unsatisfied the way a poorly written movie does, with plenty of meaningless action sequences but no character development that gets people to care about what happens.

So really what I am trying to understand is have your campaigns been 1) long running sandbox games or 2) Finite "campaigns" with a start, middle and end (Pirates of Drinax, Spinward Marches Campaign, etc). If 1 what was the driver from a PC/Player standpoint...exploration, Cr, bigger better ship, etc, etc.

More like an episodic campaign, since true sandbox needs players who are really into the setting and roleplaying. Same characters doing one self contained adventure per session.

So one of the things our group of players have struggled with even WAY back in High School when CT first arrived on the scene, is Character Motivation in a campaign.
Borrowing from other systems could be helpful here. One of the more interesting systems I've seen to help with Character Motivation is the Icon System from the fantasy system 13th Age. The key to the system is that characters get points to assign to "Icons" which are Heroic, Ambiguous or Villainous. The player chooses their relationship and strength for each icon which can be positive, negative or conflicted. At the beginning of each session, one die is rolled for each of these and each 6 gives an advantage, each 5 gives an advantage with a complication. It is up to the GM to decide how to work these in. In the Traveller universe, you could have the Icons be various Megacorporations, The Imperium, the Psionic Institute, each race and so on.

The other interesting bit is that each character gets to choose (with GM approval) "One unique thing" - nobody else in the universe has that same unique thing.

The Hero system has a bunch of ideas about users buying disadvantages that could also be used. For example, a "Dependent NPC" that shows up in an adventure based on a die roll (similar idea to the icon roll).

You don't need any of these systems to have character motivation of course - but it can be helpful for inspiration for a player to figure out their motivation.

You can also discover motivations later. I once had a Living Greyhawk D&D character who originally was "combat optimized fighter with no motivation" until we were in a bar, talking to a slaver and I realized "Rask was a slave and hates slavers" which guided the rest of his career.

Then again, I was playing a Traveller one-shot at Origins once and I was told "You are the village priest" and I was completely stumped as to why I would ever leave my flock to become a Traveller. (Did not like that particular adventure)

Then again, I was playing a Traveller one-shot at Origins once and I was told "You are the village priest" and I was completely stumped as to why I would ever leave my flock to become a Traveller. (Did not like that particular adventure)
That's where coming up with a motivation comes in. Why would you leave your flock? Maybe you were disgraced, or maybe you betrayed your flock in some way, and now you seek repentance.
You were playing a one-shot so you have to play a character that fits the adventure, but you could spend a minute or two to give some backstory to the character. As rlmercad069 points out, even Shepherd Book had his reasons (and his story in the Pilot episode surely didn't explain ALL of his reasons).

Back