• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Commerce: Shipping Low-Value Cargos (and Starship Design & Construction)

RainOfSteel

SOC-14 1K
The commerce rules in CT and T20 seem to have some, how do I describe it, problems. Maybe everyone else already knows about this, but I’d still like to discuss. I did do a search for “Commerce” across all the forums, but none of their titles seemed to suggest a similar topic.

I’m specifically excluding MT, TNE, Book 7, T4, or GT here. I have no idea what was in MT or T4; have not finished reading GT: Far Trader; and the TNE rules are for a different type of trading environment, an apparent development of Book 7: Merchant Princes type mechanics.

Also, this discussion wanders from shipping economics over to starship design and construction and back again. I didn’t really know whether or not to post it to the Fleet, or the Research Station, and so I decided to put it here.

So, the basics of commerce are:

Freight: Goods shipped for someone else, where the shipper is paid a base of 1000Cr/ton shipped.

Cargo: Goods purchased, shipped by the shipper, and then sold, hopefully for a handsome profit.

Mail: I'll leave mail out of this discussion.

I have no problem with these basic concepts. The problem comes in with the base rate for freight, and to some degree, the profitability and sale values of low value goods shipped as Cargo.

If I'm a starship operator at an agricultural world, it's not unreasonable to assume that I might find lots of grain as freight or cargo. The T20 chart has grain at the top of a list of cargos (where lowest values are sorted from top to bottom).
I, as a starship operator, do whatever is necessary to assure that I am shipping that grain (to fill out the hold, whatever). Say it's a 10 ton lot. The owning broker, who is paying me to ship the grain, gives me 10,000Cr. In order for this broker to make any money, the destination sale value of that grain had better be more than 10kCr plus the broker's original purchase price.
Here's where the problem is. This sets the _minimum_ price, as far as the owning broker is concerned, at well over 1kCr/ton of grain. The question is, can anyone at the point of sale afford to buy grain for 1kCr/ton? Bear in mind that it will likely be a local broker buying it, and potentially selling it to a distributor for collection and disbursement to manufacturers (bakeries, fermentation plants, etc.). Each set of hands it passes through raises the price for the end-consumer.
Now, around where I live, the undiscounted prices for a high-end mass-market brand-name loaf of bread is about $1.98, give or take a little. No name store brands go down to $0.99, and the stuff I usually buy, whole grain and multi-grain exotic brands go for almost $3.60--4.00/loaf. Now, this is almost certainly the result of shipment of grain from US farmers to manufacturers here in the US (local bakeries, etc.). Does anyone believe it costs $1000 or $2000 or more US Dollars to ship that grain (it's hard to convert IC 1116 Era credits to 20th Century Terra US Dollars, but I have little doubt the credit is stronger than the modern dollar; and T20 mentions that an Imperial Credit is worth 3 modern US dollars)? I don't, but that's what interstellar shipment does, it tacks on a fortune in additional costs which _must_ be passed on to the consumer. Who else, in the end, is going to pay for them? Government subsidy? Maybe for part of it, but not for all. I think if we had to bear a $2000/grain-ton shipped from farmers to market, that each loaf would cost $10-40 US Dollars, minimum (it's hard for me to tell exactly where the real cost would be, but I think it wouldn't be pretty). Ordinary people out to buy a loaf of bread made with grain with this huge cost load would get to the store and go into sticker shock, fall over, flop around like a fish out of water, and then be carried away in an ambulance.
On the face of it, to me at least, low-value goods can’t ever be economically shipped as long as the base rate is 1kCr/ton, due to the fact that no one at the destination would _likely_ be willing to pay, or more importantly, be able to _afford_ to pay (if you don’t have the money, you can’t pay, except by going into debt, and going into debt to buy food is a desperate measure that should not be considered standard practice, because it can’t go on for very long). This is bad, because reducing the base rate to lower the end-cost of such goods would be a hammer blow to a starship operators ability to pay a starship’s mortgage.
It’s worse for speculative traders, who want a far better return than the mere base rate; they are, in fact, speculating for exactly that purpose, to beat the base rate. T20 lists the base value of grain at 300Cr/ton. A very high broker skill and some good rolls could do well with this and push the price above 1kCr/ton, but as I’ve outlined above, I don’t think brokers or even distributors would be lining up to buy grain at such inflated prices.
For high value goods, this is not so much of a problem, as the shipping fee can wind up being only a small part of the overall cost. Does this mean that only high-value goods would be shipped? Maybe. But this is where I drag in “atmosphere” and “feel” for the OTU. The OTU is, in many ways, designed to provide, in bits and pieces, the feel of classic Science Fictions from the 50s-70s (yes, there is classic SF written after this and even before this, but this is still the primary era); although this in no way reflects on the validity of other types of settings, from grand space opera to far-future utopia, post-apocalypse or even cyberpunk. However, for the OTU , I always got the impression, from canon writings, that there is a huge amount of trade going on in the Imperium. While some worlds are backwaters where only a few ships show up, and indeed there are isolationist worlds where ships hardly ever arrive, the majority of Imperial worlds actively participate in trade, and in most cases, huge amounts of trade (ok, so it’s only an impression, but a lot of cannon writing backs it). One highly classic vision of Science Fiction is the High Population world, exemplified in Asimov’s Trantor from the Foundation series, a world covered entirely by one immense city spanning the globe, with average surface height of the city in the hundreds of meters, and many structures reaching kilometers of height, plus deep sub-surface extensions for city services, the city even extends out onto continental shelves. Asimov states the population is forty billion (never mind that the world city described has enough volume to hold the whole population in a manner that all would have palatial size residences with plenty left over for business, entertainment, and anything else you’d care to name; although of course, Asimov’s descriptions are of an enormously crowded place, so one can imagine that vast tracts of the world-city are unmaintainable and abandoned by the time of Hari Seldon or after, which is when most of the descriptions are good for), and that little or no food at all is grown here, and that many nearby agricultural planets are dedicated to growing all the food necessary to feed Trantor’s population. Those worlds send their grain, livestock, and other foodstuffs to Trantor aboard titanic freighters.
Given that the OTU has many similar high population worlds, I’d imagine similar circumstances, where nearby agricultural worlds supplied many foodstuffs, including low-value foodstuffs, the staples that keep the main population alive. High end technology for food production seems rarely mentioned in most Classic SF, unless it is to say that food provided this way is substandard (yes, there are exceptions); in a real SF universe, one can only imagine what TL-15 Food Production is like, because the Imperium seems it’s at TL-8 or 9 Food Production most of the time.

I’m pretty sure none of this is dealt with in either CT or T20 because the rules are meant to provide a framework by which starship operators can run and pay for their vessels, and be a vehicle by which adventures can be induced. The source and destination don’t matter as far as these published Commerce Rules matter. I, however, cannot help but try to visualize an integrated system that would really work (even if it’s only an estimation or even a WAG, something that sounds good can, in a game, be just as good as something that does work).

What about multiple jumps? If a destination world is more than one jump away, the cost to ships low-value cargos begins to truly soar (even high-value cargos can come under attack when shipping them too many jumps, and that’s just in CT and T20; under the Book 7/TNE style rules, it takes only a few jumps to make anything unprofitable to ship).

I don’t have an immediate solution available. Changing either the base rate or the starship construction rules is problematical, and especially changing the construction rules would make anything I designed incompatible with any other TU.

I’ve got some issues with Shipyards in Traveller (they’re barely dealt with), and I think large-scale industrialized high TL shipyards, whose size and capability would make land-bound dry-docks for building ocean going vessels characterized by 20th Century Terra shipyards pale by comparison, would provide huge economies over what is mentioned in the rules. Further, current starship rules do not take into account what a shipyard (any shipyard, not just the types I envision) would charge to assemble the ship. Right now, starship assembly is free (either that, or the costs noted are a shipyard’s cost-to-purchaser for final assembly of a combination of those elements, though it is most certainly not presented that way). Furthermore, as GURPS Far Trader (and Gordon R. Dickson’s famous Dorsai series) notes, some worlds do better at some things than others, and even for a world with a TL sufficient to do everything better, Comparative Trade Advantage can mean a disparate collection of scattered worlds can wind up making bits and pieces of the components and sub-assemblies that go into a starship. What am I babbling about? I’m going right back to shipping costs. As the T20 chart notes, starship weaponry has a cost equal to that noted in the constructions rules, and from that I make the leap to assume that the base cost for speculative purchase of any starship component is that listed in the design rules (which is why I feel those costs are not the costs charged by the shipyard to the new vessel’s buyer, but rather the manufacturer costs). No starship construction system seems to take into account the costs of shipping various components between the stars to the final point of assembly. It’s easily conceivable that some components must be shipped more than one jump, or multiple parsec jumps at priority rates (depending on which commerce rules are being used).

What about insurance? Are banks going to let buyer’s go around in something that costs tens to even hundreds of millions of credits without insurance? Not a chance. Worse, the bank is not only going to make the buyer pay for accident, liability, loss, piracy, and war insurances, but will also pass along the cost of owner-theft insurance as a guard against skipping (although there may be some facility for the bank to cash out the policy after a set number of years when the owner has sufficient equity in the vessel, and to have a large fraction of the owner’s costs in having paid for that insurance up front returned later).

Basically, between high TL shipyards operating at high TL economies, using advanced construction systems, advanced tools, etc., would allow for substantial discounts in assembly costs (which, admitted, aren’t being charged in any of the design rules to date). But I’ve been looking at altering some component costs, etc., plus adding the additional realism of insurance, assembly/labor charges (despite their additional complications/complexity), and in the end, will probably lower the costs of vessels, as opposed to altering the construction system itself (though, as noted, I haven’t come to any decision). Lower starship costs will go hand in hand with a more smoothed out Actual Value Table in the commerce rules, mostly to handle what GURPS Far Traders calls “The Rule of One”; thus lower costs go with lower overall profitability, which I don’t view as a bad thing. Having a starship should not, in my campaign world (YMMV in your TU), be a free ticket to instant wealth. Example: Using CT rules, shipping but a single 10mCr lot of computers for 30% purchase value and 400% sale value--a not at all impossible feat in the CT rules with Broker-5 or 6 from a Book-7 merchant character--is a profit of 37,000,000Cr, or enough to immediately purchase another starship, completely, without having to fiddle around with payments, or for the daring, slapping 37mCr down at a bank would probably be sufficient collateral, with good references, proven skills, and no criminal background, to take out _multiple_ loans and launch a fleet of new vessels (at the 10% discount rate for standard designs, of course). Such an event, IMTU, would be reserved for a major climax point of a campaign, with many obstacles overcome and opponents defeated, not the ho-hum routine of ordinary speculation.

What is my purpose? The end-purpose would be to reduce the base freight rate for interstellar shipping substantially in order to make low-value bulk cargos worth shipping between the stars, especially when there is more than one jump to the destination world.

Thoughts, comments?

Sincerely,
Chris

Originally posted by thrash:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
The commerce rules in CT and T20 seem to have some, how do I describe it, problems...

I’m specifically excluding MT, TNE, Book 7, T4, or GT here...

I’m pretty sure none of this is dealt with in either CT or T20 because the rules are meant to provide a framework by which starship operators can run and pay for their vessels, and be a vehicle by which adventures can be induced.
You've answered your own question, then: neither the Book 2 system nor (as I understand it) the t20 version have more than a nodding acquaintance with economics. They were designed to provide a gloss on shipping operations for players who aren't interested in the details -- nothing more.

The Book 7 system and its derivatives (MT, TNE, T4) tried to be more realistic, and -- except that rates should be per-parsec rather than per-jump -- succeeded fairly well.

The only system that was designed from the bottom up to make economic sense is GT: Far Trader. If you try to apply that standard anywhere else, you will just hurt your head to no purpose.

I, as a starship operator, do whatever is necessary to assure that I am shipping that grain (to fill out the hold, whatever).
Hold that thought.

On the face of it, to me at least, low-value goods can’t ever be economically shipped as long as the base rate is 1kCr/ton...
For high value goods, this is not so much of a problem, as the shipping fee can wind up being only a small part of the overall cost.
Enter the concept of "marginal cost." First you have to accept that -- in the real world, anyway -- freight rates are not the same for all commodities; that they are the same in a game world is a playable simplification.

So let's look at our starship operator. He has a break-even cost that he has to make on average every voyage, or he goes broke. He wants to make a profit on shipping, so he goes for the high value-density cargoes (electronics, weapons, etc.) first, because the added cost of shipping is a small fraction of the value of the goods and thus easy to obtain. If he's smart, he'll even gouge the owners of these goods some, because the market will bear it and it makes up for what comes later.

Most of the time, though, this stuff will not fill his hold -- it's mostly compact, sometimes heavy, and always small lots. So what does he do with the rest of his hold capacity? He offers it at a lower rate (or accepts less profit on his speculative goods: same thing). Better to fill the hold at a lower rate, even at a slight loss, than have it sit empty and make no revenue at all, right?

This is "marginal cost" -- low value-density cargoes like grain, ore and lumber aren't competing against the full break-even cost of the ship, but rather against whatever extra revenue the operator can squeeze out of the leftover hold capacity. So these goods ship at (say) Cr100 per dton, while the high value-density goods ship at (say) Cr1,000 per dton or more, and if the purser has done the math right it all averages out to slightly more than the break-even cost (which is around Cr400 per dton in GT). In the game, since this business is already more complicated than most people want to think about, we just say that everything ships at Cr400 per dton, plus whatever profit the characters can weasel out of it.

It may be instead that one leg of a trade route is profitable enough to cover the round trip -- say, carrying colonists on a government charter -- and so the operator can afford to backhaul low value-density goods on the return trip. These goods also typically ship on slow, obsolete, bulk freighters, where the break-even costs are as low as they can go. Finally, there are subsidized merchants in canon, who may be specifically routed to ensure a cheap supply of low value-density goods, since they don't have to make a profit to stay aloft.

What about multiple jumps?
Per-jump freight rates have never made sense; charge per-parsec IYTU instead and don't worry about it.

Further, current starship rules do not take into account what a shipyard (any shipyard, not just the types I envision) would charge to assemble the ship.
Not true: The starship designs in GURPS Traveller, which are explicitly based on GURPS Vehicles, include the costs of production.

In accordance with GURPS Vehicles, pp. 201-202, 20% of the purchase price of the starship is for parts, 30% is for the labor to assemble it, and 50% is overhead and profit. This is not mentioned anywhere in GT because it is irrelevant for most purposes (and thus a waste of precious word count). I did use this in my original draft of the shipyard modules in GT: Starports (pp. 80-81), but the editor's post-hoc changes broke a lot of that linkage; it may also appear in GT: Starships in some form.

<snip>

What about insurance?
Basically, the canonical ship payment schedule (which is 5-6% APR, in a setting where 1% annual return on investment is average and there is no inflation) already includes the bank's insurance premium. This is mentioned in GT: Far Trader (p. 98): "The mortgage payments include loss and liability coverage for the bank's investment, but the owners must arrange for insurance on their own."

Most adventurers couldn't get third-party insurance, anyway: they have no business plan, no reputation, and a penchant for not running away from dangerous situations. The usual solution is to accept the risk and make up any losses out of gross revenues ("self-insuring").
</font>[/QUOTE]I’ll cover several comments about GURPS products other than GT: Far Trader by saying:
I’m not using GURPS, sorry. I don’t have those products, and can’t discuss them or what they say because of that.
I’m specifically excluding MT, TNE, Book 7, T4, or GT here...
Your advice appears to be, “Dump CT/T20 Trading.”

I suppose I could do that, except that I personally dislike the Book 7/TNE systems, especially Book 7 (which is completely divorced from details about what is being shipped). I never saw what T4 offered (if it offered anything). As for GT: Far Trader, yes, it’s crystal clear that it embodies extensive knowledge of economics and shipping, but it is all written in non-OTU credits and non-OTU TLs. So unless I’m willing to do a painstaking conversion of an entire supplement, it winds up being unusable (except for bits and pieces I lift out, like individual calculations, etc.). I suppose I don’t intend to use CT/T20 starship economics as-is myself, but then, I’m still searching around for what I want, and haven’t found it yet.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> What about multiple jumps?
Per-jump freight rates have never made sense; charge per-parsec IYTU instead and don't worry about it. </font>[/QUOTE]Charging per-parsec AFAICS, only appears to increase the shipping cost for low value cargos. And a J-3 vessel completes a 3 parsec jump in 1-week (plus a day or two to land/dock), faster delivery equals higher premiums (especially given that J-3 vessels have much less cargo space available, the only way they’ll survive is by charging, and getting, a speed-based premium), whereas a J-1 vessel would take a little over 5 weeks to show up on the same route (assuming standard 1-week in-system). That’s five times faster. A J-1 vessel attempting to bypass its in-system trade opportunities to jump the three parsecs in about a little over 3 weeks (including refueling stops) will probably be threatened with having to skip a payment.

The way the table goes on page 23 of GT: Far Trader, it would seem that this is even more expensive than CT/T20, as rates would seem to come out at above 1000Cr/Jump. Ok, no, I don’t have a real conversion for GT to OTU credits, but if I pin one J-1 jump at GURPS 435Cr/ton to one J-1 jump at CT 1000Cr/ton, then we have a conversion rate (the trouble is, GT: Far Trader doesn’t bother to state whether it is undervaluing/overvaluing freight rates in comparison to CT, and so I can’t tell if these rates are really comparable).

Further, a number of things stated in GT: Far Trader do no match canon statements about the OTU, like the page 21 sentence, “ . . . as well, the undersupply of liners . . .” I don’t remember reading that anywhere in Library Data Supplements 8 or 11. In fact, I remember reading about huge amounts of trade flowing throughout the Imperium, and about “Trade” being the “Lifeblood” of it as well. The fact that actual world data, when assembled and analyzed using GT: Far Trader info, doesn’t support this (a tiny number of high-pop worlds support 75+% of the Imperium’s population, total value of Trade as a fraction of GWP is tiny, etc.), is, IMO, a result of the use of random generators to create most of the worlds of the Imperium, with no human intelligence given over to help make the whole web of worlds appear more reasonable and life-like (or, rather, possessed of verisimilitude) and more in-line with written descriptions. Thus we get tiny (or even zero) population worlds right next to Capital/Core; worlds with high tech levels and no populations, garden worlds with minimal populations right next to nightmare worlds with high populations and low tech levels. While random generation may be good for filler worlds, the design of key areas must be done either by a person, or by world-generating algorithms far more sophisticated than those that were probably used.

IMTU, the Imperium and other nations and their whole atmosphere and feel go more along with what is written, and where necessary obviously randomly produced information is coerced into making canon statements true. To me, if it’s a choice between canon-text and canon-UWP, canon-text wins, because it was written with vision and intent, and most canon-UWP popped out of a computer program making quasi-random decisions.

The comments about marginal cost are very interesting (if it’s in GT: Far Trader, too, I just haven’t gotten to that part yet). I’ll have to study that in more detail. However, since the CT/T20 design sequences don’t really give much in cost savings for building larger ships, the mortgage payment on million ton J-2 freighter could be fearsome, and therefore:

A quick design on the T20 spreadsheet.

1,000,000-ton Hull (Close Structure) - Partially Streamlined
AC: 2 (-1 vs. Meson Guns) AR: 0 SI: 1000 Initiative: 0
Starship Size: Colossal Cost: 222,896.196 MCr (278,620.245 MCr without discount)
Model/6 Computer Avionics: Less than 1,000,000-ton Sensors: Medium Range Communications: Very Long Range
Cargo: 674,300.-tons
Annual Maintenance = 22,289.62 KCr (11,144.81 KCr if routinely maintained)
Routine Maintenance = 5,572.405 KCr/Month (55,724.049 KCr per year)

Monthly Payment: 928,734,150Cr

Now, if this is considered a bulk-carrier in a T20 trading universe, and is freighting grain at the standard 1000Cr/ton, then it will be making 674,300,000Cr/jump x2 subtract monthly payment for 423.865MCr in profits before expenses. But, no one will be able to afford the grain. And so we switch to freighting at 100Cr/ton (mentioned in the Marginal Costs description), and then this ship will make 67,430,000Cr/jump x2 subtract monthly payment for 793MCr in unpaid bills before expenses. At this freight rate, the ship is not going to make its mortgage payments, much less crew salaries. It will lose money and go into receivership, or wind up on government subsidy (any government willing to pay that sort of money for such a small quantity of grain is going to go bankrupt). And if I charge per parsec, then the final charge is 200Cr/ton to the shipper, doubling shipping costs, and making the end-buyer more reluctant to purchase an expensive low-value cargo.

It isn’t really the tramp freighter I’m concerned with, and certainly not resourceful PCs (who, in my experience, can always think up ways to earn money). It’s the background operations of the universe and the constraints ordinary ho-hum NPCs must live and deal with.

Originally posted by thrash
Your advice appears to be, “Dump CT/T20 Trading.”
Only if you expect your trade and commerce system to make economic sense: it's your call. It's pointless, though, to complain that the Book 2 trade system doesn't produce economically reasonable results when it was never designed to do so.</font>[/QUOTE]
As for GT: Far Trader, yes, it’s crystal clear that it embodies extensive knowledge of economics and shipping, but it is all written in non-OTU credits and non-OTU TLs.
Can't help you on the TL conversion: that was mandated by Steve Jackson himself.</font>[/QUOTE]Thank you, Mr. Jackson . . .

<snip>

I didn't take the time to design a lot of large, High Guard-based bulk freighters, so this comparison is limited to canonical Book 2 merchant ships from that volume and The Traveller Adventure.
Understandable. AFAICT, there aren’t too many besides me interested in this. I’ve seen a website or two that mentions big freighters, but that’s it. I’ll just have to slog through the conversions and changes that make me happy.

Further, a number of things stated in GT: Far Trader do no match canon statements about the OTU, ... The fact that actual world data, when assembled and analyzed using GT: Far Trader info, doesn’t support this ..., is, IMO, a result of the use of random generators to create most of the worlds of the Imperium, with no human intelligence given over to help make the whole web of worlds appear more reasonable and life-like ...and more in-line with written descriptions.
Can't help you there, either. Jim did his level best to make the Far Trader system both economically viable and consistent with canon, but huge discrepancies remain. Some of your points are matters of taste and interpretation (how pervasive is the Imperium? how small can trade be, yet still be vital?), which won't be solved by economics.</font>[/QUOTE]Yup. I’m not cutting up GT: Far Trader, I’m just limited in using it (and am still not done reading it). The one I’ve got is borrowed, and I’ll have to return it soon. I guess I think canon itself needs a massive shake-down and re-alignment. I’m hoping Second Survey from Far Future Enterprises remakes large portions of Charted Space UWPs to look more reasonable, but I’m probably smoking a pipe dream on that one.

As for randomly generated populations: I am the most vocal opponent of this stupidity in the Traveller community. I have offered a number of fixes for it, both on these boards and elsewhere. The fact remains, however, that the OTU is based on this premise, and correcting it necessitates changing the OTU (or better, dumping the OTU and starting over to create something similar that does make sense). Most Traveller fans -- and all current Traveller publishers -- do not see this as particularly worthwhile.
Well, I’ll join you on the opposition list. If they’d just print new UWPs with better and more reasonable statistics, it wouldn’t be such a problem. I’m going to have to do it myself in order to be able to operate in anything that looks remotely reasonable.

That's one reason why Jim didn't give tables of specific trade goods -- it would have taken too much space to cover all the angles.
But someone else on another thread, or maybe it was the TML, posted the following link:

http://pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/trade/sitc3-4.html

As good as anything for a starting place.

Cheap Grain seems to be an issue here. The only thing I can think of (not already mentioned) whereby it would be profitable to have expensive ships loaded with cheap grain would be for military campaigns. Large numbers of heavily populated ships, with little battle performance reducing internal support equipment (waste-to-food recyclers), far from support...paid for by taxes. ;) Aramark, eat yer heart out!

[edit] oh yeah...are youz guys figuring in the possible need for specialized containers for grain? I doubt that vacuum, variable temperatures, and radiation are healthy for grain.

Originally posted by Hecateus:
Cheap Grain seems to be an issue here. The only thing I can think of (not already mentioned) whereby it would be profitable to have expensive ships loaded with cheap grain would be for military campaigns. Large numbers of heavily populated ships, with little battle performance reducing internal support equipment (waste-to-food recyclers), far from support...paid for by taxes. ;) Aramark, eat yer heart out!
Well, other cheap foodstuffs plus livestock (which would be ruinously expensive to ship), too, but I centered on grain because its at the top of the T20 products list at the cheapest price.

I guess that means visions of big agro freighters moving food & livestock from Agricultural worlds to High-Pop worlds go down the drain.

It's not too difficult to envision high tech planets having high tech food production, with far greater output than available today. Of course, this hauls out the need to explain Agricultural worlds. What are they doing with all that food? Eating it themselves? Probably not. Why even have an "Agricultural" Trade Classification if the food never leaves there? High value luxury foods? Maybe we can rename the TC to "Martha Stewart Cooking."

Why trade agricultural products?

I imagine that all but the hightest TL food replicators are unable to handle spices and such. Chemically simple things like salts, oils, sugars, etc have no need to be shipped at all as most replicators can handle them. Rich bastards just positively can't be expected to go spacefaring without their fancy omelettes now can they?

In another thread (Reasearch Station), I asked about the meaning biocompatible worlds. Apparantly, due to the uneven distribution of right or left handed organic molecules in space, some colonies might require the importation of food basics such as sugars...that is assuming the wast/food recyclers are not enough.

AAAAAA...Blasphemer!
file_23.gif

I suppose the replicator uses the same technology from your TRANSPORTER??
file_28.gif

Nope, The big industrial worlds pay us slobbos to haul in the grain because they can't grow it there...Ag worlds exist to feed the masses in their arcologies...

It wasn't designed to make huge economic sense, it was a quick game mechanic to enable us poor traders to pay the bills. If you want economics, I should charge WHATEVER it takes to pay my bills and make a modest profit to haul your cargo. That would naturally push trading into the megafreighter and eliminate small traders. One way to insure there are small ships for PCs to crew is to level the playing field. The alternative is to push small traders to the fringes... :(

-MADDog

Why trade agricultural products?

<snip>
No discernable reason, except that there is a Trade Classification called Agricultural on hundreds of worlds (if not thousands), and that its clear written-text-canon that huge freighters jump between agro worlds and high-pop worlds, hauling in food. Pesonally, I tend to agree, just because this matches a lot of written SF, not because it makes sense. However, perversely, I need my game mechanic to make sense. How's that for irrationality?

AAAAAA...Blasphemer!
no, no trekkie replicators as such (certainly no Transporters) I place the innexpensive ability reform waste into safe chemicals at TLs 8-9. But the ability create edible barely nutirtious 'food' from a machine on demand (much like that seen on The Matrix, yuk) at 14 and over...but only becomes comparable to real cooked food at 16-17...ie only nobles can afford such thing, but their cooks can always do a better job still. At TL 18-20 there would be no need for cooks...heck one might not even be needing to eat, being a nonotechnological transhumanist borg whatever being does that.

I imagine that most fleets and stopover-stations will have at least some dedicated support facilites for mass waste reclamation and 'food' production...perhaps a real hydroponics dedicated module or two.

as you can tell I don't have much respect for 'canon'

Originally posted by MADDog:

<snip>
It wasn't designed to make huge economic sense, it was a quick game mechanic to enable us poor traders to pay the bills.
<snip>

-MADDog
Ahhh! Reality intrudes! Run away!

<turns corner, looks around, makes sure he's left reality behind, whew!>

Ok. I think game mechanics, both economic and starship design, should support written-text-canon in an integrated an ingtelligent manner that supports the establishment of verisimilitude in the milieu setting in a playable way. No, I haven't figured out how to do this myself yet, and while I may not ever figure it out, I am trying.

no, no trekkie replicators as such (certainly no Transporters) I place the innexpensive ability reform waste into safe chemicals at TLs 8-9. But the ability create edible barely nutirtious 'food' from a machine on demand...
But...
But...
Soylent Green IS PEOPLE!!!!
OH the horror!! :eek:

file_21.gif

-MADDog

-------------------------------------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' whilst you find a rock."
-Talleyrand

Screw the "replicators". Why isn't *every* world just growing its own food? I don't care if we are talking about an edenic world or an asteroid. Every single world with a sustainable population should be able to grow more than enough food to feed its own population.

I suppose a pop A world might have to resort to algae farms, or something even more disgusting, to round things out, but, really, almost every (if not every) world should already be able to feed its own people.

The only things that should be being shipped are *luxury* food items like spices, specialty plants and some meats. Other than that, any self-sustaining world can generate its own food.

Originally posted by daryen:
Screw the "replicators". Why isn't *every* world just growing its own food? I don't care if we are talking about an edenic world or an asteroid. Every single world with a sustainable population should be able to grow more than enough food to feed its own population.
I suppose a pop A world might have to resort to algae farms, or something even more disgusting, to round things out, but, really, almost every (if not every) world should already be able to feed its own people.
The only things that should be being shipped are *luxury* food items like spices, specialty plants and some meats. Other than that, any self-sustaining world can generate its own food.
Dude - You live on a world with only 5 billion people, and WE can't feed everyone. 30,000 kids die every day from malnutrition on this planet. What makes you think that Earth could support 20 or 30 billion? It can't - high pop worlds need to import food, or devolve into only farms and arcologies. Do you see everyone moving out of the plains states to New York or L.A. so factory farms can use all the space currently taken up by Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Etc...?
We can't even get people to want to pay taxes for schools...Another 100 years, there will be no sea life on Earth due to overfishing. The ecology will be so screwed due to global warming....No, the only way is to either fill the orbits with obital farms, terraform other system planets (Mars), or IMPORT food from another system...
That's where us free traders come in.

-MADDog

Yeah - There's no profit in it...
:(

But the main point was how would a world like Trantor or something with 20, 30 , 50 billion or so feed a population without imports...?
Can't be done without us lowly traders...

-MADDog

Originally posted by MADDog:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by daryen:
Why isn't *every* world just growing its own food?
Dude - You live on a world with only 5 billion people, and WE can't feed everyone.</font>[/QUOTE]Actually, we can. We just chose not to.

What makes you think that Earth could support 20 or 30 billion? It can't - high pop worlds need to import food, or devolve into only farms and arcologies. Do you see everyone moving out of the plains states to New York or L.A. so factory farms can use all the space currently taken up by Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Etc...?
We can't even get people to want to pay taxes for schools...Another 100 years, there will be no sea life on Earth due to overfishing. The ecology will be so screwed due to global warming....No, the only way is to either fill the orbits with obital farms, terraform other system planets (Mars), or IMPORT food from another system...
That's where us free traders come in.
Not true. We are a planet that has 6 billion people living in a highly balkanized political environment with no knowledge of technology other that what we currently have.

Even with that, we can be much more efficient and much more ecologically sound and still feed our population if we were to ever choose to. Unfortunately, we haven't.

However, our situation (which is theoretically correctable) is totally unlike most planets in Traveller. They have (or at least have access to) technology we can't even dream about. Most planets are run by a planetary goverment, which provides the opportunity to remove much of the gross inefficiencies we see today.

Any world with a pop of 7 or less should never need to import basic foodstuffs. Ever. If they have to, it is because either a) they are too stupid to see the danger or b) it is cheaper to just import. Of course, most of the prior discussion here pretty much rules out option b.

A world with a pop of A or (now that you mention it) 9 may have to resort to "generic foodstuffs" to meet needs (e.g. algae tanks), but should still be able to feed themselves. A pop 8 world shouldn't have to resort to the tanks, but easily could with severe governmental stupidity.

Then, throw in a little genetic engineering and either production goes way up, or they can actually make algae taste good. Plus, I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt and assume most of the possible carcinogenic side effects have been worked out.

Besides which, assuming it was actually necessary to import food, free traders are irrelevant. The only way to transport meaningful amounts of foodstuffs would take massive cargohaulers on a very regular schedule, not traders with dinky little holds that come and go randomly.

Again, please note that I am only talking about basic food needs (e.g. "grain"). There will always be a market for "luxury" food items, whatever they may be.

By your very definition then, Grain becomes a luxury food. Then I got no problem shipping it for 1 kCr / ton, since some golden bloke is paying for it.... :D

"I'm tired of protocarb...I want the REAL THING."
"Yes, mylord..."

And I am SO there... :D
-MADDog

-------------------------------------------------
Ten men in our country could buy the whole world and ten million can't buy enough to eat.
-Will Rogers

Back