• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Concept for triple missile launcher

wbyrd

SOC-13
triple_missile_turret_by_wbyrd-d9i1r4y.png

I have been working to polish my work, and part of it was creating components for my other work.So I set down and designed a series of turrets. I went with canister styled launchers since turrets house a ton of missile internally.

a simple rail launcher could be used, with a reload system to cyclpe new missiles into place, however I was inspired by the TOW missile launcher on an old M-113 anti-tank vehicle. That and the Rolling Airframe Launchers.

I wanted it to be able to fold down out of the way, elevate, and then cycle into a loading position.It took some time to get it worked. There are some problems with it but I am no engineer.

I built the model in several sections, so it can be animated, if i ever get that good :D

Here's the fluff text.

Missiles are one of the standard weapons of most forms of modern combat, they deliver a powerful, accurate punch at great distances often able to inflict critical damage on any but the most heavily armored targets. Using a wide variety of warheads, seekers, propulsion, and guidance systems, missiles are flexible, energy efficient, and powerful weapons. when combined into multi-launcher batteries they can send waves of lethal ordnance at an enemy that may be hard pressed to defend against the incoming fire.

The missile launcher can be attached to other weapons mounts, including laser, sandcaster, and particle weapons, as well as ballistic turrets. combining weapons in a single mount do give extra flexibility on ships with limited hardpoints, however the most powerful arrangements combine missiles into a single battery.

The smallest launcher typically carried by a starship is the turret mount. a canister fitted with firecontrol linkages to the ships own sensors feeds target data to the missiles own guidance and seeker systems, directs the missile in the general direction of the target, and fires the missile. from that point on the missiles sensors, and flight control systems take over and the gunnery team can move on to the next target, or fire additional salvos at the same target.

While launchers can be a simple rail fed individual missiles from a ready store placed near the launcher, a common model places the missiles in a single canister mounted on arms to lift it clear of the hull to freely rotate and elevate to track targets, then fold away when not in use. to reload a fresh canister of missiles, the mount rotates the canister into position over loading hatches, a fresh canister is slid into the canister, and locked into place. This speeds reload times, but is not universal, however many missile launcher uses the fire, rotate to reload position, back into firing position cycle.

to reduce the mass being rotated by the mount fire control, and anchoring structures are located it eh hull of the ship, allowing a gunner, to set in the position or operate it from remote stations elsewhere in the ship. The pedestal is still required to mount data transfer, sensor linkages, and power systems for the various hardware to operate the weapon systems.

Is there a like button on this? I like those turrets and the idea of popping up and rotating into firing position.

You can add reputation instead; click on the bar running along the top of a given post, you'll see a set of scales between the post number and the warning triangle. Click the scales. Simples ;)

triple_missile_turret_by_wbyrd-d9i1r4y.png

I have been working to polish my work, and part of it was creating components for my other work.So I set down and designed a series of turrets. I went with canister styled launchers since turrets house a ton of missile internally.

a simple rail launcher could be used, with a reload system to cyclpe new missiles into place, however I was inspired by the TOW missile launcher on an old M-113 anti-tank vehicle. That and the Rolling Airframe Launchers.

I wanted it to be able to fold down out of the way, elevate, and then cycle into a loading position.It took some time to get it worked. There are some problems with it but I am no engineer.

I built the model in several sections, so it can be animated, if i ever get that good :D

Here's the fluff text.

Your thinking was something like Sea Dart, yes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgU9B6tQnZM

Is there a like button on this? I like those turrets and the idea of popping up and rotating into firing position.

I appreciate that. I had to use a few aspirin trying to get the arrangement to work...

Your thinking was something like Sea Dart, yes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgU9B6tQnZM

Yes, yes in deed, one of the missiles I was thinking of for the rail type launchers. I have that version around here, somewhere...the sea dart is a nasty customer too, not as modern as some, but definitely effective for its day.....

the fact you could theoretically shoot at surface targets was a plus.

Another thought is that the magazine and feed system can be kept out of the pressurised life-support bubble, so that any hits to it could reduce the effect on those pressurised areas of a ship (you'd need IMTU-style rules, but it could work)

Another thought is that the magazine and feed system can be kept out of the pressurised life-support bubble, so that any hits to it could reduce the effect on those pressurised areas of a ship (you'd need IMTU-style rules, but it could work)

I thought about adding an external ready magazine for the system. Since the turret weapons are outside the hull a one ton canister per turret wouldn't be too far outside the rules.

Cellular launcher, what, like an RBU system? Interesting.

Reloading whatever system you select (whether cell or box) will be a challenging proposition, though, especially in the middle of a battle. A rail system from a central magazine will be easier if the ship design permits it (1.5 x 1.5 x 3 metre standard half-size cargo containers with missiles ready to be fed into a magazine would help), but that's about all that comes to mind :)

Reloading whatever system you select (whether cell or box) will be a challenging proposition, though, especially in the middle of a battle. A rail system from a central magazine will be easier if the ship design permits it (1.5 x 1.5 x 3 metre standard half-size cargo containers with missiles ready to be fed into a magazine would help), but that's about all that comes to mind :)

Very interesting. Great idea.

Could be each canister has lets say 3-6 missiles (within the canister the magazines is like a revolver cylinder) in it and after they launched the mount re-retracks into the hull.. then the used canister is ejected and the new one inserted in and is ready to use. Canisters could be reused as new missiles are moved from the magazine to the canister rack... lets say each mount would have rack of 9 canisters. This would be so for the military... as for civilians perhaps more disposable versions that are

What does T5 say about re-tractable turrets? Not 1 ton, but 2 no? Thus how many missile does the standard turret/missile launching rack had without magazine. I can't recall the exact number. Yes in High Guard this was one of the missing bits that led to endless missiles.

I am still working o the way reloading would be done, it certainly is a tricky process to move a cargo container full of high explosives round when people are shooting at you..I had envisioned a sliding hatch over a lift that raises a contianer up into the boxes pictured, then locks it in place.

the Rail type, with a single missile fed up into position is far easier..unfortunately that would require me to figure out how much space that takes.

By the way
the canister in the pic are roughly 1 ton plus a little to make up for the volume of the outer shell which holds the missile container in place. the pedestal is also roughly one ton, with a bt extra to allow for fire control and hardware

Very interesting. Great idea.

Could be each canister has lets say 3-6 missiles (within the canister the magazines is like a revolver cylinder) in it and after they launched the mount re-retracks into the hull.. then the used canister is ejected and the new one inserted in and is ready to use. Canisters could be reused as new missiles are moved from the magazine to the canister rack... lets say each mount would have rack of 9 canisters. This would be so for the military... as for civilians perhaps more disposable versions that are

What does T5 say about re-tractable turrets? Not 1 ton, but 2 no? Thus how many missile does the standard turret/missile launching rack had without magazine. I can't recall the exact number. Yes in High Guard this was one of the missing bits that led to endless missiles.

Interesting idea....yeah, pop up to fire, retract to reload...that would work. a smaller canister with 9 shots instead of the entire one ton in the launcher at once would make it a bit less bulky....I;ll see who that looks :D

Do you have access to CT Special Supplement #3 "Missiles", which came with CT JTAS #21?

unfortunately my original CT stuff is long gone..lost to raiders in the dark days of the 2008 pill-head raids on my lonely outpost...

(Takes a pull on his beer in the corner booth..)They came once to often and discovered that a crusty old drifter, with his snub pistol was waiting for them....aah the happy sight of wide eyed terror, sudden realization..and then depression, sudden onset guilt, and sobs , as the local constabulary carted them off...eh..you young folks ain't got time for an old mans tales ...back to the subject at hand...

I tend to stick with MgT of late...one they are the ones I am writing for...and my addled brain can only hold one set of rules in lace at a time the more similar systems I try to keep in my head, the worse the bleed between rules sets gets....

unfortunately my original CT stuff is long gone..lost to raiders in the dark days of the 2008 pill-head raids on my lonely outpost...

(Takes a pull on his beer in the corner booth..)They came once to often and discovered that a crusty old drifter, with his snub pistol was waiting for them....aah the happy sight of wide eyed terror, sudden realization..and then depression, sudden onset guilt, and sobs , as the local constabulary carted them off...eh..you young folks ain't got time for an old mans tales ...back to the subject at hand...

I tend to stick with MgT of late...one they are the ones I am writing for...and my addled brain can only hold one set of rules in lace at a time the more similar systems I try to keep in my head, the worse the bleed between rules sets gets....

Shame.... MgT I thought was to be a continuation of CT world and system just modified, but it is going off in rather contra CT directions.

I like some of the more detailed character development I see in MgT but their weapon systems are to out do the types of options that T5 offers.

Shame.... MgT I thought was to be a continuation of CT world and system just modified, but it is going off in rather contra CT directions.

I like some of the more detailed character development I see in MgT but their weapon systems are to out do the types of options that T5 offers.

It has it's quirks.....

Honestly I enjoy most versions of Traveller and would play any of them...well maybe not mega Traveller...ah who am I kidding yeah would play it too.

I use MgT rules mostly because it's the current version...I suppose if I sat down and focused, I could build my designs in about any of the systems.

But I got a chance to actually get published for Mongoose....as soon as the rebuild is finished and I do the adjustments to the material I submitted a year ago. :D ( pained chuckle, and head to desk..my timing sucks)

Shame. OK, no problem; let me know what you're looking for in the missiles (performance, warhead, guidance, etc.), and I'll work through SS#3 and let you know the figures.

Shame. OK, no problem; let me know what you're looking for in the missiles (performance, warhead, guidance, etc.), and I'll work through SS#3 and let you know the figures.

When I decide to dust off those rules, ad work up some ships in the other rules..and i will...I'll be happy for the help.

Back