• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Consolidated CT Skill List

Golan2072

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award
Marquis
I've attempted to create a consolidated skill list for CT, for the next revision of my CharGen system. The new approach I'm leaning towards is using only a limited number of Cascade groups (Science, Melee Combat, Gun Combat, Archaic Weapons and Vehicle) with most skills recieved specifically. The reason for this change of attitude is my desire to increase the uniqueness of careers and to preserve the random element in CharGen, as well as to create more realistic characters (not everything you learn in life is 100% related to your chosen profession) and to discourage minmaxing.

GENERAL
Admin
Animal Handling
Battle Dress
Bribery
Carousing
Combat Engineering
Communications
Computer
Craftsman
Demolitions
Electronics
Engineering
Field Artillery
Fleet Tactics
Forgery
Forward Observer
Gambling
Hunting
Instruction
Interrogation
Jack of all Trades
Language
Leader
Legal
Mechanical
Medical
Naval Architect
Navigation
Perform
Pilot
Prospecting
Sensors
Ship's Boat
Ship Gunnery
Ship Tactics
Stealth
Steward
Streetwise
Survey
Survival
Tactics
Trader
Recon
Recruiting
Robotics
Vacc suit
Vehicle Gunnery
Zero-G

SCIENCE
Agriculture
Archeology
Biology
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Economics
Forensics
Journalism
Linguistics
Parapsychology
Physics
Planetology
Sophontology
Theology

ACADEMIC
Computer
Craftsman
Electronics
Engineering
Instruction
Legal
Mechanic
Medical
Perform
Robotics

MELEE COMBAT
Blade
Brawling
Cudgel
Polearm
Sword

GUN COMBAT
Auto-Weapons
High Energy Weapons
Lasers
Launchers
Pistol
Shotgun
Submachinegun
Throwing
Rifle
Zero-G Weapons

ARCHAIC WEAPONS
Archaic Pistol
Archaic Rifle
Blunderbuss
Bow
Crossbow

VEHICLE
Aircraft
Air-Cushion Vehicle
Gravcraft
Ground Vehicle
Watercraft

Small proposal to mix in with the preenlistment (BTW you dont have the pre-enlistment doc linked in your sig!)

Certain technical skills should be available by choice at college and university as an alternative to a Science skill:

Computer, Craftsman, Electronics, Engineering, Mechanic, Medical, Perform, Robotics

These could also be grouped into a new 'cascade' group called Career Specific for some of the S4 type careers, where the specific prior history career you are in that term allows you the option of gaining -1 on one of the skills, throw 7+. Failure forfeits that skill point, or alternatively require choosing a different table to roll on. This may only be attempted once per term, using the 'free' term skill.

Originally posted by MaineCoon:
Small proposal to mix in with the preenlistment (BTW you dont have the pre-enlistment doc linked in your sig!)
Thanks for pointing this out. Corrected.

Certain technical skills should be available by choice at college and university as an alternative to a Science skill:

Computer, Craftsman, Electronics, Engineering, Mechanic, Medical, Perform, Robotics
I'd call it Academic Education; it'll be an "alternative cluster" (i.e. all skills could be aquired seperately, but in the college/university you get to choose from the list).

These could also be grouped into a new 'cascade' group called Career Specific for some of the S4 type careers, where the specific prior history career you are in that term allows you the option of gaining -1 on one of the skills, throw 7+. Failure forfeits that skill point, or alternatively require choosing a different table to roll on. This may only be attempted once per term, using the 'free' term skill.
Good idea - though I'd probably choose to allow the character to roll the skill on the standard tables if the special-cascade roll (I'd make it SOC or less on 2D) fails.

Added the Academic alternative cluster above - you could only get to choose from it in the College or University pre-enlistment choices.

This is a nice list. Thank you for compiling it. Maybe one of the nicest things about the list is that the skills (at first glance) appear to all be at the same level of "generality" (though I may be wrong).

May I suggest adding History, Journalism, Investigation, Philosophy and Theology to the list?

I'm not very sure about purely abstract or pure-knowledge skills such as Philosophy and History; won't they be subsumed in a character's EDU stat? And how would Investigation be different from a combination of Streetwise, Interrogation and Forensics?

Journalism and Theology have been added.

If you want a "baseline" collection of all the CT skills from all the LBBs, I put them all in a single pdf document that I constructed for the T5 skills discussion.

You can download a copy from here.

HTH

An updated list inspired by the discussion here:

General Skills:
Admin (1)
Animal Handling (2)
Battle Dress
Bribery
Carousing
Combat Engineering
Computer (3)
Craftsman
Communications
Demolitions
Electronics
Engineering (4)
Field Artillery
Forgery
Forward Observer
Gambling
Heavy Weapons
Hunting
Instruction
Interrogation
Jack of All Trades
Language (5)
Leader
Mechanical
Medical
Naval Architect
Navigation (6)
Perform
Pilot
Prospecting
Recon (7)
Recruiting
Robotics
Ship Gunnery
Ship’s Boat
Space Tactics
Steward
Streetwise
Survey
Survival
Tactics
Vacc Suit
Vehicle Gunnery
Zero-G

Melee Combat:
Cudgel
Long Blade
Short Blade
Polearms
Brawling

Bow Combat:
Blowgun
Bola
Bow (8)
Sling

Gun Combat:
Early Firearms
High Energy Weapons
Laser Weapons
Pistol
Rifle
Shotgun
SMG
Throwing

Science:
SCIENCE
Agriculture
Archeology
Biology
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Economics
Forensics
Journalism
Linguistics
Parapsychology
Physics
Planetology (9)
Sophontology (10)
Theology

Academic:
Computer
Craftsman
Electronics
Engineering
Instruction
Legal
Mechanic
Medical
Perform
Robotics

VEHICLE
Aircraft
Air-Cushion Vehicle
Gravcraft
Ground Vehicle
Watercraft

Notes:
(1) Admin subsumes Legal.
(2) Animal Handling subsumes Equestrian.
(3) Computer is the usual skill for using sensors and such; Prospecting, Pilot, Survey, Navigation or Ship Gunnery are used when appropriate to operate sensor systems.
(4) Engineering subsumes Gravitics (M-Drives are basically very large grav-modules in some versions of Traveller)
(5) Choose one language (Aslan, Vilani, Gveh and so on); a character is always proficient in his or her native tounge (Galanglic for most Imperials).
(6) Navigation encompasses mostly space-navigation techniques as well as some surface-navigation techniques; Survival is the usual skill for surface navigation, and Navigation serves as Survival for this purpose at one level lower (i.e. Navigation-2 allows you to navigate on the ground as if you had Survival-1).
(7) Recon encompasses stealth techniques as well.
(8) Bow subsumes Crossbow.
(9) A combination of Geology, Ecology and parts of Astronomy.
(10) A combination of Psychology, Sociology, and Anthropology.

There are 49 skills (including cascade groups) plus one optional cascade (Academic, used only for the college pre-enlistment option), not counting skills within the cascade groups.

For consolidated skill lists, there is one that is oft forgotten, although it comes from a canon source:
From Special Supplement 1: Merchant Prince, p.9:

Melee Combat: The character is skilled in the techniques of close combat.
Melee combat skill is the equivalent of twice brawling skill (two levels of brawling equals one level of melee combat). The skill represents mastery of various disciplines such as judo, karate, savate, etc. All hand-to-hand combat is affected; in addition, the character will increase his or her skill in the use of other melee weapons due to increased balance, timing, and reactions. One level of skill is added to all blade weapons in which skill is already held (except cutlass and broadsword).
All brawling weapons are affected as with brawling skill, but at twice the indicated level.

Good catch, Nick. In fact, nowadays I drop Brawling entirely (I just use STR instead) and replace it in chargen with melee skill.

Originally posted by Nick Nova:
For consolidated skill lists, there is one that is oft forgotten, although it comes from a canon source:
From Special Supplement 1: Merchant Prince, p.9:

Melee Combat: The character is skilled in the techniques of close combat.
Wow. Since I had LBB6, I never read SS1 - I had no idea this was in there.

Huh. Learn something new everyday.

I’m not sure if it is in the reprints. SS1 was originally a pullout section in issue 12 of the Journal of the Travellers’ Aid Society, if that helps…

Back