• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Container Transports

Chaos

SOC-12
In the real world, most cargo (that isn´t either a liquid or bulk cargo) is transported by ship in container - standardized containers, to be precise, which can be carried on ships, rail cars and trucks without having to transfer the contents of the container. As you can probably guess, this *hugely* simplifies loading and unloading of cargo in ports, since the most time-consuming part - putting the cargo into the containers and removing it at the destination - does not have to take place while the cargo ship is in port, thus minimizing the time it spends taking up valuable space in a port (and incurring costs to the operator while tied up to a pier)
FWIW the closest thing to a standard container is the TEU, "Twenty foot Equivalent Unit", most commonly 20x8x8.5 feet, or roughly equivalent to 3 dTons.

Then there´s the LASH concept - meaning Light Aboard SHip. A LASH ship that cannot (or for some reason *does not*) enter port can use lighters, i.e. small craft aboard which move cargo between ship and shore, to load or unload its own cargo. At minimum, this supplements lighter capacity provided by the port; it also enables the ship to load and unload cargo in ports that are too small for the ship and enter and at the same time too undeveloped to operate a useful number of lighters, or even any lighters at all.

I think the concept of containers is too useful for it not to be picked up for interstellar cargo transports. To begin with, most cargo will come in containers of various sizes, probably sized in dTon increment, the 1 dTon container being the smallest. For ease of use, containers would most likely be designed to be easily assembled and disassembled, so that empty containers could be transported flat-packed rather than fully assembled, saving a *lot* of space (and cargo fees).

The nearest thing Traveller already has to a LASH concept is the Modular Cutter and its cargo module; a 30 dTon container is a bit large, but I can easily see smaller containers being constructed in such a way that they fit together to produce something the size and shape of a 30 dTon container out of, for example, thirty 1 dTon containers, which could then be carried by a Modular Cutter. Call this the CASH concept if your want - Cutter Aboard SHip.

While tramp freighters handling low volumes of cargo, such as those operated by player characters, would mostly still land on worlds and have small containers loaded into their cargo bays the old-fashioned way, high volume cargo transport, such as between high population core worlds, would take a different shape with the CASH concept. Loaded 30 dTon cargo modules, or smaller containers assembled into a 30 dTon unit, would be picked up at the starport by cutters and taken to the ships, and delivered from the ship to the starport at their destination.
The ships themselves could very well be dispersed structures - a bridge and crew quarters on one end, engine room and drives at the other, with cutter bays on either or both ends, and the main portion of the ship is little more than a spine connecting the two parts, with LOTS of attachment points for cargo modules.

Thoughts?

GT:Far Trader covered shipping containers for starships, in 2, 4, and 8 ton sizes. It also has a couple of cargo pallets for cargos under a ton.

Actually, while the TEU is the measurement unit, the most common container size is the 2 TEU 40' container, followed closely by the 44/45' 2.2TEU, and then the 20' 1TEU... or so I've read. And, having hung out watching containers load and unload, at least in the ports of Anchorage (AK), Juneau (AK), and Portland (OR), the most common size coming off is the 2TEU.

It's also got another name: the FEU, or "Forty-Foot Equivalent Unit" - 1 FEU=2TEU.

. . .The nearest thing Traveller already has to a LASH concept is the Modular Cutter and its cargo module; a 30 dTon container is a bit large, but I can easily see smaller containers being constructed in such a way that they fit together to produce something the size and shape of a 30 dTon container out of, for example, thirty 1 dTon containers, which could then be carried by a Modular Cutter. Call this the CASH concept if your want - Cutter Aboard SHip. . .
Cutter modules are all cylindrical or at least semi-cylindrical, I believe. That does not really lend then well to being used as cargo modules because of wasted space. For cargo modules you are really going to want to use rectangular, or possibly hexagonal, containers. Rectangular containers will have an advantage of being easy to make. Hexagonal shaped containers are a possibility because while manufacturing is more difficult the hexagonal shape has the advantage of using less material to encompass the same volume (hence the reason it is used by insects). The downside of hexagonal containers is that you would also need half-sized trapezoidal containers that would provide support on the bottom.

The only other simple shape that really stacks without gaps would be triangles but that is actually the worst of both worlds. It isn't as easy to make as a cube and it uses more material to encompass the same volume.

I have always been fond of the 300dTon container from that ship in the IISS Shipfiles.

Though in recent months I have been toying with a 50 dTon container that is 7.5 x 7.5 x 12.5 meter in size. (hint that is the size of a index card in 1/100th scale)

Then there's the Ubiquitous 4 dTon container from the Fat Trader.

I figure in general all of the above would be long term Vacuum tight. Just for handling ease if for nothing else.

Then there is the opposite end of the scale, which is Palletised cargo. I keep coming back to this just for the amusement of designing internal handling gear. The standard palette fits in a standard 1.5 meter square, and can be moved between decks by the standard lift. Deck surfaces were palettes are likely to be handled are equipped with retractable roller floors, so palettes can pushed into stowage. (Note this modeled off of the roller floors used in cargo aircraft and their related warehouses).

Note many years ago when I was a Lad and in the Navy I spent many a hour transferring cargo underway, all of out cargo came aboard on palettes.

CT supplement 7's subsidized merchant diagram included a drawing of a 3.85 ton (dTon?) cargo module, looked like it'd fit in a 4 dTon volume with a bit of space around the edges.

Those silly cylindrical small craft in the same book would have been poorly equipped to handle standardized cargo modules. I'm guessing they tended to serve boxes and crates.

Those silly cylindrical small craft in the same book would have been poorly equipped to handle standardized cargo modules. I'm guessing they tended to serve boxes and crates.

I don't think it's silly. Small craft are often carried by unstreamlined ships that need to conduct business on the surface of worlds with atmospheres. Therefore, the small craft must be streamlined.

IMTU the standard is 5-ton and 10-ton containers, in line with the CT shipping lots. 1-ton is break/bulk small shipments.

I have an extensive cargo type/fee multiplier that is tied to container material handling capabilities, along with an opportunity for aggressive captains to provide that special handling for higher risk/reward.

During our starship design contest one came up with a 200-ton belter ship that was modular and container-driven. The idea was to drop off containers for both ore and expeditionary support while the tug/engineering section could go for fuel or supplies. But it could also be an effective Free Trader/adventure ship.

Small shipments could still go inside these stackable form factors from Silent Running-

getpubliccontent

Last edited:
I don't think it's silly. Small craft are often carried by unstreamlined ships that need to conduct business on the surface of worlds with atmospheres. Therefore, the small craft must be streamlined.

Small craft aren't silly, but the various cylinders portrayed as smallcraft are.

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of a modular cutter, just not the implementation.

Repost-

[FONT=arial,helvetica]While we are on the topic of certification, here are the classes of certification for cargo carrying for civilian vessels-

Requires Astronics-

B- Biohazard
C- Corrosive
F- Flammable
H- Hazardous
P-Passengers
P(CS)- Passengers (Cold Sleep)
P(HS)- Passengers (Hot Sleep)
R-Radioactives
XP- Pressurized

Requires Bulk Freighter/Merc-
F- Food (Bulk)
GC- General Cargo
G-Gas
L- Liquid
M- Mineral
P(AT)- Passengers (Animal Transport)
PO- Powder
T- Temperature Control

The average player merchant ship certifies in class GC, P, and P(CS).

Certification occurs during the annual maintenance cycle, no additional cost IMTU.

The benefits of certification are that higher profits are possible. The passenger ones are self-explanatory, the others require a bit of explanation.

Specialized cargo certification means the ship can be configured to handle the cargo in bulk with appropriate pumps, protective interior, environmental controls, safety equipment, etc. and the ship's crew is trained and competent in handling it.

Most cargo the players handle come in a GC configuration, where the shipper is responsible for loading the material in an absolutely safe container leased or owned by the shipper.

This allows for the cheapest rates and little to no preparation or handling on the part of the cargo ship. This suits both parties in many cases, but is an inefficient way of shipping per ton as a lot of wastage occurs as a result of the packaging and the container incurs a cost one way or another.

So a specialized hold allows for more effective product to be shipped per ton, without the loss of tare volume or container overhead.

For each specialized cargo type in the top category, an extra 2000Cr is charged per ton per parsec.

For each specialized cargo type in the second category, an extra 1000Cr is charged per ton per parsec.

So an FL load (say Corn Syrup) can be 3000Cr per ton, a BPO load (life support hyperalgae in dehydrated state) is 4000 Cr, and an HMR load (Plutonium) commands 6000Cr per ton.

Hazardous is a catchall for other hazardous terms not covered or indicates particularly hazardous material that is dangerous in an additional way then the main hazard (for instance Plutonium is highly poisonous so it merits the extra designation).

Costs per ton for preparing cargo space vary, but as a rule charge 20,000 per ton per hazardous cargo category and 5,000 per ton per category for the rest.

Other costs will obtain, most notably a cleanout cost of 500 Cr per ton. Dedicated cargo personnel that are part of the crew can perform this service, reducing the cost to 100 Cr for waste disposal/reclamation by the starport.

Common sense should rule, for instance biohazard and food categories should not be mixed in the same hold space.

Cargo holds in smaller ships are normally designed to be configurable, set aside 1 ton for every 10 tons converted back to GC to store the hold walls, equipment etc.

Setup is 8 hours per 10 tons, this can be divided up per person with mechanical or cargo handling skill, and requires a 1000Cr inspection per category after conversion is complete.

Specialized items like this are usually handled by larger shipping firms with dedicated ships and contracts, or subsidized merchants with a specific route servicing a consistent production facility or customer base. A wily aggressive trader captain however may be able to capture this profitable variant on cargo shipping via smart opportunity, 'sales negotiation' or persuasion.
[/FONT]

More-

[FONT=arial,helvetica]There are standard containers, 10 ton and 5 ton containers, each two tiles wide and 15+ tiles long for the 10 ton and two tiles wide and 7.5+ tiles long for the 5 ton containers, yielding dimensions of 3m x 3m x 15.55m and 3m x 3m x 7.77m respectively.

Containers are mounted on standard divots inside most GC holds, and may be stacked, locked on each other.

This standard form factor has been in place for at least 100 years so very few cargo ships are not set to handle it.

Containers come in two grades of construction, planetary and interstellar.

The interstellar version is built to starship hull standards, and can be strapped to the exterior mounts on a dispersed cargo ship or otherwise exposed to space in non-streamlined hulls. They cost 100,000Cr per ton to build, plus the above costs for unique cargo certification categories. Container specialization once done is permanent, they are not configurable.

The planetary versions are intended for less strenuous conditions, and when used for starship cargo, they require riding in a pressurized internal cargo bay. They cost 10,000Cr per ton to build plus specialization, and do not last nearly as long. They also are not as secure as the starship versions for hazardous cargo so do not qualify for the automatic GC rating, and may require a specialized bay to be safely transported.

Lease rates are typically half of the shipping and cargo specializations fee starships charge per ton.

Leasing containers can be a low cost way for players to gain entree to the interstellar cargo market, and a way for captains to maximize their earnings by providing containers at need.

There is a catch though- liability for a leaking or dangerous cargo that does damage or harms people rests largely with the container provider, ESPECIALLY if that container was rated GC safe. An aggressive captain may be setting his ship business up for a fall.
[/FONT]

You'd rather they look like the Eagles, which inspired the modular cutter?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Transporter

That would be a start...

Meaning something more than the original rocket ships would be nice. One of the things that keeps getting me is how Smallcraft are portrayed The Lab ship especially gives me the fits, all the cargo movement is limited to a personal hatch, then the awkward shift around to the lift...

Not to mention the uniform side loading of cargo. Some through deck designs would be nice. Just some consideration of cargo handling would be nice. considering how much time we have spent on the topic collectively over the years. Oh course now that I have gone down that route I start pondering the ships themselves.

Have you ever considered what a cargo hold would look like if one where designing a ship around moving the "Standard" container a'la the Fat Trader. IMHO the general shape would be in increments of 6 meters. In that a 6 x 6 x 6 cube would hold 4 containers, and so forth...

Last edited:
AFAIK nothing in the stats of the Modular Cutter or its modules mandates that cargo modules should be cylindrical - that appears to be purely in the art. And the T20 art at least is ambiguous enough, being a direct side view, that the module may well be a rectangular block.

FWIW, with 2, 4 and 8 dTon containers already inexistence, I suggest a LASH design capable of carrying 32 dTons´ worth of containers for maximum convenience - 2x2 8 dTon containers, with any of these potentially replaced by two 4 dTon containers, which in turn could each be replaced by two 2 dTon containers.

For an ATU, especially one in the relatively near future, one could easily assume the (almost) 3 dTon TEU and (almost) 6 dTon FEU become shipping standard - so we´d get LASH designs 24 or 48 dTon capacity, and cargo bays designed to stow the maximum number of TEU or FEU containers.

Not to sidetrack, well not really anyway.

What if all the UFO's we have cataloged---those darned flying saucers---happen to be small craft dropping off payloads?

What if a deal was brokered very early on, and all of Earth's rapid tech growth is attributable to reverse engineering items we have traded for from Free Traders using saucer shaped small craft?

Not to sidetrack, well not really anyway.

What if all the UFO's we have cataloged---those darned flying saucers---happen to be small craft dropping off payloads?

What if a deal was brokered very early on, and all of Earth's rapid tech growth is attributable to reverse engineering items we have traded for from Free Traders using saucer shaped small craft?

Nah, they are Amazon drones from the future.

Back